PDA

View Full Version : Headsets!

gliderone
25th Jan 2005, 07:01
Hi!

This is my first post so go easy!

I'm 21 and just about to get my NPPL and I am looking at getting a decent headset. I have been looking here there and everywhere and so far as I can see the lightest are the pilot ones available from transair, the peltor ones look great too but the david clark 13.4s are also an attraction. However, am I just paying for the davy clarke name or are they genuinely worth an extra 50 pounds? Anyone got any suggestions, suppliers, experiences or even just an oar to stick in?

Thanks alot

Nick

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2005, 07:18
Having tried most options, I'd say that the DCs are not worth the extra money - they are less comfortable than many and often incompatible with other systems. The Peltors may be worth the money, but personally I'm very happy with my Harry Mendelsons which are much cheaper than either.

G

deice
25th Jan 2005, 07:30
I've had my Peltors for 13 yrs - wouldn't trade them for anything. I'll be getting new Peltors when the time comes. I've tried DCs but my ears don't like them and I find them too bulky. They're ugly too :D .

My 2 cents

Miserlou
25th Jan 2005, 07:49
My preference is also Peltor.
Used them anything up to 11 hours a day dropping meatbombs. You can't do better comfort -wise if you want to get value for your money.

jonnoboy
25th Jan 2005, 08:09
Hi all, I am glad someone has brought this up as I have been wondering myself if DC's are worth the extra bucks.

I have also noticed Pilot headsets (the brand) for sale and they seem similarly priced to the Peltors but somewhat lighter.

Are there any owners, past or present, that could comment on the quality and performance of these with comparison to the DC's and Peltor's?

Many thanks,

John

skydriller
25th Jan 2005, 08:54
I have a pair of Schenheizer (cant pronounce it let alone spell it!!) headsets, I think they are a rather good all round headset, never had any incompatability problems as with DCs.....not too pricy and in a nice shade of blue..........:E

Regards, SD..

PS
I too tried the DCs and also didnt like the feel/fit of them on my head......

......I dare someone to add the word pink to the title of this thread.......

Blinkz
25th Jan 2005, 09:15
probably out of your price range, but the bose-x really are brilliant. Maybe not worth £700 tho, but I was lucky.

When I tried the others I really wasn't impressed with DCs, the seinnheisers were good.

topcat450
25th Jan 2005, 09:16
Well for what it's worth, I love my DCs, but having only ever tried the head-vice school ones as an alternative I've not got a awful lot of experience, however I've never ever regretted buying them.

Hampshire Hog
25th Jan 2005, 09:19
You will probably get as many answers to this question as there are members. However, one that you rarely see mentioned on this forum, but I have found to have excellent sound quality, the complements of my instructor (who uses DCs and complains of poor sound quality on many of the other cheap models), together with many features found on the more expensive ones is the Flightcom 4dlx.

I have not experienced any compatibility problems. However, I was nervous about this before buying mine. Check with the supplier that they will be happy to take them back/switch to another make if you experience this.

At just over £100 from pilot warehouse (not sure what other suppliers charge) I recon they're pretty good value and more than adequate while you're training.

HH

hekokimushi
25th Jan 2005, 09:27
schneizer, 100
got them for my training. its great.

Flik Roll
25th Jan 2005, 09:35
Avcomm PNR 747's fantastic! Who not go along to your local transair and try all their headsets on? Probably worth the trip if you are unsure!

fry3k
25th Jan 2005, 15:46
The Sennheiser HME-100 is a great choice for an beginners headset.
Especially if you get the extra gel-filled ears seals, you will be good for the next couple of years or hundred flight hours.

have fun...

Flyboy-F33
26th Jan 2005, 13:37
Tend to agree about sennheisers, I bought a pair a few years ago, they are okay. Never owned DC's as I think they are overpriced and often produce compatibility issues with anything other than other DC's. So it seems that people that start with them, tend to stick with them. I was also told they are based on very old US military specifications, whereas newer types use much more modern componenets, hence the compatibilty issues.

GG

Kit d'Rection KG
26th Jan 2005, 14:23
It's obviously a matter of personal choice, so weigh up (both literally and otherwise) the options, and make your decision.

I use DC's, and have done for my entire flying 'career', and I have had no problems with them in anything from a C152 to a Fokker 100. They are durable and well-designed, in my opinion, and easy to get spares for if you need them.

As for price, I think we often lose track of the fact that you get what you pay for, and often the 'name' you're paying for is a 'name' because the company has been producing high quality, reliable, kit, for a long-ish time... that's my take on DC.

Evil J
26th Jan 2005, 16:18
I'd like to add a vote for Avcomm from Transair, good value, good quality, had mine for 10+ years and still as good as new, never had any compat problems either.

Small Rodent Driver
26th Jan 2005, 17:57
The Sennheisers get my vote. Especially for the price. Had mine about 5 years and never really thought of buying anything else. My flying buddy tends to prefer using them over his DC,s for jaunts in our Chippy etc.

On the down side clamping forces can be a bit high making for some discomfort if you are wearing sunglasses etc with reasonably thick side arms.

They have the added benefit though, of being able to fold inside of the headband so two headsets take up very little space in the flight bag.

Pronto
27th Jan 2005, 11:50
I use Peltor 7003s and have done for the past 17 years. Sound quality is good, they're lightweight and the headband folds so that they don't take up much room in a flight bag.

They come up occasionally on ebay if you don't want to pay full price.

P

boomerangben
27th Jan 2005, 12:48
Is it me or has there been a big swing away from the DCs of late? There have been similar threads to this in the past, each littered with posts from those singing the praises of DCs.

My recommendation? Alpha helmet :E
But then again I have no option. Peltors have served me well in the past and I have a pair gathering dust in my locker tempting me to get back into private aviation again.

silverelise
27th Jan 2005, 20:26
The best headset is the one you are most comfortable with. Don't buy it mailorder, go to a shop with a wide choice and try them on. And keep them on for a good 10-15mins if you can. Especially important if like me you wear glasses. I spent a couple of hours choosing my headset, ended up with DC13.4's, but you really need to make your own decision about whats most comfortable for you in your price range.

S-Works
27th Jan 2005, 21:02
There can be only one...........:p

silverknapper
28th Jan 2005, 14:21
I will stick up for DC's here. I had peltors but the plastic bit holding the boom snapped after a couple of years. Now got 13.4s. There is a reason lots of people have them and they have a good name and that is that the build quality is excellent. I know people who have owned them for 10 years and still A1 condition. I am delighted with mine and until Bose decide to sponsor silverknapper that's what I'll be sticking with!

fox golf
28th Jan 2005, 16:16
What does your instructor use? If it's 13.4s then you won't have any compatability issues - my DC 10-40s don't work well with my instructors 13.4's because of different mic impedances.
Do you need to buy an expensive first headset?
Remember that when you get your licence you'll need a set for passengers - so consider a cheaper set while your learning; you can use these for passengers later and buy yourself a nice ANR pair (I've been impressed with the pilot ANR sets).

But while your learning save your money for lessons/flightime.

Mu Beta
28th Jan 2005, 16:23
I've tried several different sorts HM's get my vote, they match well too.

182P
28th Jan 2005, 17:35
I use lightspeed anr's (from HM's) they're the business and fast taking over in the states, really light, really comfortable and excelent at noise cancelation. On a recent trip I gave my lightspeeds to my son and had to put on my old DC's, reminded me of what a good purchase I had made, went out and got some for my pax