PDA

View Full Version : DH Chipmunk?

low n' slow
23rd Jan 2005, 12:42
Hi all!
I've been looking around a little for a chipmunk to buy and fly. However, I can't seem to find anything. Is there anyone who would like to point me in the right direction?
Regards/lns

AerBabe
23rd Jan 2005, 13:44
If I tell you, will you let me fly it? ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Jan 2005, 15:28
There are one or two around. But finding a good one at the right price is not easy. If anyone knows different, please PM me. ;)

But it's a lovely aeroplane, and a absolute joy to fly.

SSD

Floppy Link
23rd Jan 2005, 15:37
There was one flying at Perth today, lovely sight. And sound.

'India-Mike
23rd Jan 2005, 16:23
'Normal' channels such as magazine 'for sale' lists will give you a start, although I haven't seen much recently. 'Other' channels, or 'the grapevine', can be much more productive - that's how we got ours a couple of years ago. The magazines, we found, don't necessarily tell you the whole story of what might be for sale out there....So try calling the Chipmunk Club, or even DHSL.

I wonder which one was flying at Perth today.......

Circuit Basher
24th Jan 2005, 10:26
L'n'S - as an ex-Air Cadet who started his flying on Chippies, I've always been tempted by the concept of buying one! There was a Chippie owned by a friend's dad, based at Strathaven for sale a couple of years ago at £25k. A little digging and I found that the engine was past its sell by date - estimates were between £9k and £18k for a Gypsy rebuild!

Anyway, this was flying in RAF trainer colours as WG422 - I now find that it's down at Eaglesham as G-BFAX.

In terms of Scottish-based flying DHC1s, there's:

G-AORW (out of Strathaven - civvy colours)
G-ARGG (out of Ayr, flying in silver training colours as WD305)
G-BDRJ (out of Ayr, flying in red training colours as WP857)
G-BXDA (out of Glasgow, flying in red training colours as WP860)

Knowing the heater system on Chippies, I doubt there'd be many English or Irish-based Chippies at Perth at this time of year! :D

Floppy Link
24th Jan 2005, 11:01
CB
It's hangared at MF, not the main Scottish Aero Club hangar.
Doesn't get out much.
R

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2005, 12:51
Knowing the heater system on Chippies, I doubt there'd be many English or Irish-based Chippies at Perth at this time of year!

Wot heating system?;)

In common with most Chippys, our's doesn't have a heater. I think heaters were added to the last ones in RAF service a few years before they were sold off. Our's pre-dates that by some years.

It's not too bad in the front, but VERY cold in the back in winter.

SSD

fireflybob
24th Jan 2005, 13:26
I am pleased to see that GAORW is still operational - did my first solo in it in March 1968 from East Midlands!!

Wide-Body
24th Jan 2005, 14:29
Hi L and S

Just sold my Chippie so sorry. I will look around I think I know of one that could be for sale. Their prices are depressed so now is a good time to buy.

It is getting v expensive to maintain them but if you are an engineer then great. The big expense is the engine. I found it cost 3 times as much to maintain than the yak over a average of 3 years. Admitedly I have a through maintainace organisation.

Miss the aircraft a lot, it would still be my aircraft of choice after a MK V spitfire

Regards

Wide

Circuit Basher
24th Jan 2005, 16:00
Unfortunately, G-BDIC (on which I did the first 3 hrs of my PPL at Blackpool) has now been exported to Germany :(

AerBabe
24th Jan 2005, 17:50
Wot heating system? At least it has doors! :{

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2005, 19:21
At least it has doors!

Doors? In a Chippy? Bloody 'ell, and here's me been climbing in through the roof all these years, wiv me muddy boots messing up the upholstry. ;)

SSD

formationfoto
27th Jan 2005, 12:56
The one I share could have been for sale if my plans to acquire something more exciting had come off but unfortunately the others didnt want to play (secretly I am glad to still have a chippy 'on the fleet').

DHSL is a good start (note article in a certain piloit magazine this month written by yours truly!).

I would suggest the better option is ARC at Duxford. John Romaine gets to work on a number of them and is often aware of machines for sale (we bought ours there)l.

AerBabe
27th Jan 2005, 13:02
Doors? In a Chippy?
My apologies, I meant door.
A movable structure used to close off an entrance, typically consisting of a panel that swings on hinges or that slides or rotates. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=door)

;)

Chippik
27th Jan 2005, 13:46
CB

GAORW is based at Prestwick moved there in 2003 and is kept in excellent condition and flies on a regular basis, even during these winter months!!

The two other chipmunks at Prestwick (listed as Ayr by CB) as far as Im aware 1 is flying (the silver one) and the other (in red +white RAF training colours) is under restoration

muggins
27th Jan 2005, 14:47
Although the owner is from Glasgow, I thought that G-BXDA/XP860 flew out of Perth. At least it was when he gave me a lift in it 18 months ago.

Circuit Basher
28th Jan 2005, 10:12
Chippik / Muggins - sorry, should have been clearer! I was taking the owners' locations from G-INFO, in the slightly misguided effort to identify which sort of area the aircraft was likely to operate from! I have no specific info as to which field the airframes operate from and did not intend to infer that.

Chippik
28th Jan 2005, 10:58
Fireflybob : check PMs

CB: No need to apologise you were right about the AYR chipmunks but just clarifying that they flew from Prestwick

muggins
28th Jan 2005, 11:54
CB: no probs, as you say G-INFO gives owner location, not necessaarily the same as aircraft location.

High Wing Drifter
28th Jan 2005, 12:51
There were share(s) advertised for one at Lee-on-Solent; I think about 2-3 months ago.

BeauMan
28th Jan 2005, 13:11
LnS - understand there may still be a share available in one at Gransden, details should be in Pilot from a few months ago. (sorry, at work at the moment so don't have bumf to hand)

proplover
28th Jan 2005, 13:24
Low n' slow - check your private mail. I must warn you that buying a Chippy is one thing, keeping it in the air is another thing with many maintainace issues, fatigue life, TNS's, difficulty with certain spares, ageing and by todays standards thirsty engines. Having said that what a dream to fly - love flying mine!

Chippik
28th Jan 2005, 14:11
one of the big things youll find hard to find is a fairey reed prop, the alternative is a hoffman which isnt as good. Brake unit is quite complex and expensive plus you have X-rays to contend with as well as its oil and fuel burn etc. Just think though, it could be worse, it could be a spitfire!!
Its a damn good aircraft with fantastic lines and well harmonised controls, I just love it

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Jan 2005, 18:24
Our's has a Hoffman prop. Being lighter than the metal Fairey Reed prop it isn't as good a 'fly wheel' for the engine, so it's not as smooth as a metal proped Chippy (and they are not exactly smooth!). And for aeros, with less gyroscopic effect, it can be an advantage.

We swapped our brakes years ago for 'modern' ones off a Cherry tree or Cessna or sumfink similar. They are then pretty trouble free. The piston ring mod makes a huge difference to oil consumption, and the spark plug mod enables use of more readily-available and more reliable modern plugs.

They are high maintenance aeroplanes and parts can be expensive and hard to source. But when you fly it, it is all more than worth it!

Actually, you don't fly it. You strap in on like a pair of wings and become part of it. I've flown a few aeroplanes, and no other comes close in that respect. People who have flown Spitfires say they are like that, but unfortunatly I wouldn't know.:(

SSD

TwoDeadDogs
29th Jan 2005, 21:22
Hi all
There's one for sale at EIKH. G-BDXP, I think, owned by one T Mc B.
regards
TDD

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Jan 2005, 21:56
According to G-INFO, that's a BOEING 747-236B.

SSD

PPRuNe Radar
29th Jan 2005, 22:46
Ahhhhh ...... de Havilland :)

Here's G-AORW

http://www.skylarkaviation.co.uk/images/g-aorw_formation.jpg

http://www.skylarkaviation.co.uk/images/g-aorw_sunset.jpg

Chippik
31st Jan 2005, 11:15
SSD
I think weve had the ring mod as I havent noticed as much oil on the underside as in previous trips. One mod Id love to see is the mod for night flight (painting the fuel gauges with luminous paint). I bet she'd be great to fly a night . I think the brake mod is to Clevelands which is A:simpler + B:cheaper

all we need to accompany the pics is the noise (and the smell)

waldopepper42
31st Jan 2005, 15:35
I did my night rating in the Chippy. Wonderful memories of flying around Lincolnshire in the dark, in a snow storm with the ATC at Waddington saying "Just WHAT type of aircraft did you say?"!!

My other recollections are that the landing light illuminates the back of the prop and little else... wheeler landings are preferable as the runway lights disappear very quickly in a three-pointer.

One other thing - our Chippy was equipped with a switch in the back seat that killed the lighting in the front. I was foolish enough to point this out to my instructor...DOH!

Sassenach
5th Feb 2005, 14:31
Since PPRuNe Radar has cut-and-pasted those pictures of G-AORW off our website (!!!), I suppose I have a right to plug it, especially as the ugly mug in the front cockpit belongs to yours truly!

www.skylarkaviation.co.uk (http://www.skylarkaviation.co.uk)

Seriously though, the Chipmunk is a beautiful aircraft to fly. Who cares if it's cold and draughty: the controls are light and crisp, the noise is wonderful, and the smell... well you have to experience it to appreciate it.

Anyone who hasn't experienced these rare delights is welcome to come to Prestwick and try it for themselves.

formationfoto
6th Feb 2005, 09:42
Waldo
Night rating - Chipmunk. What did you have to do to get it cleared for night flight?, or did the machine have a conversion for showing fuel content. My understanding is that the DHC1 is cleared day only as the fuel guages (builti into the wing tanks are not illuminated and a torch is not part of the original aircrfat spec!.

High Wing Drifter
13th Feb 2005, 10:20
Just noticed this:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11771

'India-Mike
14th Feb 2005, 18:00
If G-BXDP is for sale, and either of the owners is a Ppruner, could he pm me please. Otherwise it'll be snailmail using the addresses on G-INFO.....

Jaun Huw Nose
18th Feb 2005, 16:37
Yup shares avail in MT, All mods done, Hoffman prop,low hour engine, Cleveland brake conversion being fitted as soon as the postman delivers it to me!
3 in group at present, licenced engineer, doctor and professional pilot so most maintance done in house to keep costs down.