PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

superdove
22nd Jan 2005, 15:44
I have recently been accepted onto a course at the CATC with NATS. However after my medical I will not be issued with a Class 1 due to an astigmatism in one eye which is outwith the prescribed limits. I have only received notification of this today, and was wondering if there is an appeal procedure, and if so how the wheels for this are set in motion. Any help would be appreciated.

ILS 119.5
22nd Jan 2005, 16:03
I'm not sure if there is an appeal procedure. But can the condition be be removed in any way? I would suggest that you ring the CAA Medical division at Gatwick. They will give you far better advice and suggest any way forward, if there is one, to obtain your Class 1. Unfortunately the initial medical is the most critical. The criteria is higher than future renewals.
Rgds
ILS 119.5

Vee One...Rotate
22nd Jan 2005, 16:11
You may be able to get Class I with 'Deviation' if your astigmatism is within the RENEWAL standards for Class I. That is the route I have to take. They treat each case individually - ring (rather than email) the CAA and try and speak to Mr. Chorley (chief optometrist chappy) I've always found the CAA very helpful and there seems to be a culture of trying to get people through if possible rather than not.

Best of luck,

V1R

P.S. The 'Deviation' allows you to train for the job and will be (I think) lifted on completion of the course i.e. you'll have a normal bog-standard Class I.