PDA

View Full Version : Carparks - world record?

Nick Falzone
22nd Jan 2005, 10:24
Whilst it's a hot topic, can anyone, in the whole world of aviation, not just air traffic, lay claim to having the work carpark which is located furthest from their actual place of work?

I will start the bidding in England, Manchester to be more precise, at a 25 minute walk (or a ten minute bus ride, white knuckle, and a slapdash unreliable timetable, hence easier just to walk).

I look forward to a diverse range of bids from a round the globe.

Shabba.

Gonzo
22nd Jan 2005, 10:53
Those parking Northside (which if BAA have their way will be everyone) working at our new tower will face a 15 minute bus ride (if it's quiet...make that 30 on a monday morning), followed by up to a 45 minute walk (if you're fit). That's not even allowing for up to a hour's wait (so I'm told) to get through Terminal 3 airside staff access point if you get there the same time as the airline shift changeovers.

Anyone fancy parking the car at 0400 for a 0700 start? :{

Ali Bongo
22nd Jan 2005, 10:55
Nick, following meetings yesterday, its going to get a whole lot worse .....:mad: :mad: :mad:

I kid you not ......:{

So any world record will be beaten by the end of 2005 here at Sunny Manchester .............:{ (By some considerable distance)

Keep your eye on the notice board for the next bit of great news regarding life as a NATS employee at Manchester Centre ......:ok:

MissManchester
22nd Jan 2005, 14:24
I work at Manchester (in terminal 2)....found out last week that the car park situation will get so much worse in the next couple years. Do to extending t2 staff west will disappear which result in 2 alternative car parks being created and depending on your postcode will depend on which one you have to park in!!

Helli-Gurl
22nd Jan 2005, 14:51
Car Parking at any BAA run airport seems to be awful, parked at BHX not so long back which isn't BAA run and couldn't get over how easiy it all was.

Parked at LHR and as has been pointed pointed out, I had to park at 4am for a 7am flt...total madness!

x

Vlad the Impaler
22nd Jan 2005, 15:15
Is this a good time to mention Stansted. Have to put up with parking at the base of the tower. Still when the new runway arrives we will probably find ourselves airside so I won't gloat too much.

White Hart
22nd Jan 2005, 16:57
Gonzo

I don't think any Airfield staff would have the same level of hassle and stress as those at LHR. The Northside/T3 trip is not quite as bad as stated (!), but, from personal experience, I would most definitely want to be in Northside by 0600 on a Monday morning if I wanted a good chance of making an on-time 0700 start in the new VCR.

Also, it's not so much the airline shift changers that are the problem at the Staff Search - it's the Aircrew and their baggage and/or the Airside Shop Staff with their metal basket containers full of goodies, all of which have to be offloaded and Xrayed. If you're behind them, you can try to queue jump, but this sometimes meets with firm resistance!

As an aside - all this extra time getting in also needs to be added to the time taken to get out! A case for extra cash from our generous employers, perhaps - a la T5 workers' claim going on at present?;)

Lock n' Load
22nd Jan 2005, 17:04
YEG centre - from car to building is between 50 and 300 yards depending on the parking spot you snag, but when it's -40 outside it FEELS like a transpolar treck. Where's Sir Ranulph Twistelton Whickham Fiennes when you need him?
I hear it's worse in Winnipeg though...

cossack
22nd Jan 2005, 17:44
From car to front door at Toronto Tower is between 20 and 50 metres depending on the time of day. Good job on a day like today! I don't miss parking is Staff Wales at Manchester one tiny bit!

METAR CYYZ 221800Z 04020G26KT 5/8SM -SN BLSN VV005 M17/M21 A2980 RMK SN8 SLP107=

Its due to get worse before it gets better...

TAF AMD CYYZ 221828Z 221818 05020G30KT 1/4SM SN BLSN VV002 TEMPO 1820 1SM -SN BLSN OVC010
FM2000Z 05020G30KT 1/2SM SN BLSN VV003 TEMPO 2024 3SM -SN BLSN OVC010
FM0000Z 01020G30KT 1SM -SN BLSN OVC008 TEMPO 0004 3SM -SN BLSN OVC020
FM0400Z 01020G30KT 4SM -SN DRSN OVC020
FM0700Z 01020G30KT 6SM -SN DRSN OVC025
FM1200Z 35015G25KT P6SM FEW025
RMK NXT FCST BY 21Z=

Off to work I go!

Jerricho
22nd Jan 2005, 20:08
Cossak, ya big jessie.

That's nothing. Talk to me when the temp drops below -35 ;)

Gonzo
22nd Jan 2005, 21:13
White Hart,

I think Prospect reckoned it was an extra ten working days a year....

cossack
23rd Jan 2005, 00:25
Geryko

Spell my name right would ya?! ;)

I wasn't complaining about the cold, just making an observation that it could be unpleasant to walk for 20 minutes in it!

It was said that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Something I wholeheartedly agree with. My ancestry is Eastern European so I much have some good anti-cold genes!

Lock n' Load
23rd Jan 2005, 02:16
Cossack, didn't they used to spell your name Chernobyl? My old MATS Pt2 was in your old binder.... C'est une petite monde!;)

cossack
23rd Jan 2005, 05:16
Lock n' Load

Vraiment un petit monde mon ami!
(Monde is masculine! My old French teacher would be impressed!)

I don't think my name was ever spelled that way, but it was a name attributed to me at a very early stage in my ATC life! ;) One Edinburgh ATSA argued at length with my future wife that that was in fact my name!

Have we crossed paths previously or did the binder come to you after I'd moved on? Was it a PH or CC part 2?

I hear it's worse in Winnipeg though...
Everything's worse in Winnipeg, eh Jerricho?!;)

Lock n' Load
23rd Jan 2005, 06:08
Mon dieu, mon francais est un wee bit mal. Zut alors, bof, etc etc. For some reason I assumed an e on the end usually indicated a feminine word. Still, here in Alberta the lingua franca is English (pun intended) and the second language is Ukranian...
PH Mats Pt2; I arrived just before your posting to CC. So, which assistant was it? Bill Brown per chance? Or maybe JR?

White Hart
23rd Jan 2005, 12:52
Gonzo

ten days, eh? Must remember to include this snippet in the relevant pay review - I could do with an extra 10 days cash/Annual Leave! (Yeah, right - pigs would most definitely fly!)

cossack
23rd Jan 2005, 15:46
Lock 'n Load

Right first time!
I don't use much French either and my Ukrainian is worse I'm sad to say. My dad tried to teach my older brother it when he was a kid and it didn't work, as my brother is pretty dense, so he didn't even try with me. :(
I think I know who you are now. So are you doing YC Terminal?
I guess they must be working Jerricho too hard, I haven't seen him on here for a few hours!:p
DC

Jerricho
23rd Jan 2005, 17:10
Sorry Cossack. Nothing worse than having your name spelt incorrectly.

(And I was out shoveling my driveway ;) For those from Blighty heading this way, best you read this (http://www.ext.nodak.edu/snow.htm))

Lock n' Load
23rd Jan 2005, 18:22
Wahay!! I have an excuse not to shovel snow so long as I keep smoking!!! Thanks Jerricho, I owe you one.
Cossack, did you ever give BB a lift to the bus stop? I did once, and the car developed a serious list to port. Then he levered himself out holding the door, which he then slammed. Pretty much ruined that car....
More info for Brits thinking of coming here - freezing rain really does exist despite being a physical impossibility (or at least highly improbable, to paraphrase Douglas Adams). It's such fun to leave work, only to find a layer of ice half an inch thick covering your whole car. The roads are also covered in half an inch of ice, of course... Still, it least it doesn't happen that much out west. More of an Ontario problem.

cossack
23rd Jan 2005, 19:45
I have one for you Jerricho....Snowblower!!!

L'nL - No I was warned off that one very early on! He used to bring in enough food to feed a family of 6 and just graze his way through it during the course of the shift.
We've had a couple of freezing rain days here so far. Definately worse than the snow. Yesterday's snow has given way to a beautiful winter day, -15 and clear blue. Fantastic. Must go skiing on my next days off, now the MIL has finally gone home! ;)
Oh, and at least you don't have to go 20 minutes from work to your car and then have to scrape it!
Valiant effort to steer the thread back on course.