PDA

View Full Version : Question for 737NG operators, especially Southwest..

EightsOnPylons
21st Jan 2005, 21:23
I was just wondering why this aircraft does not have VNAV + SPD & ALT Intervent buttons.. Any reason for leaving them out?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/760665/L/

thanks,
EightsOnPylons

Dualbleed
21st Jan 2005, 22:03
Probably costs more than it tastes. I've never even flown an NG or an EFIS that have it with the operators I've been with. Does the EFIS even come with it ?
:{

BAe 146-100
21st Jan 2005, 23:16
I think Southwest wanted to retain cominality with the rest of their B737 fleet. I belive that their B737-300s/500s also don't have VNAV and Autothrust also. Manual thrust all the way in Southwest Airlines!

I prosume that this saves the airline money. So they have their B737NG flight decks set up similar to the classics.

Air Europa, GOL and Kenya Airways are 3 of many airlines to go with the "Classic" B737NG EFIS layout. Albeit that there aircraft have VNAV and A/T!

Hope that could be of use from a aviation novice! :p

Cheers
BAe 146

TR4A
22nd Jan 2005, 02:23
I was just wondering why this aircraft does not have VNAV + SPD & ALT Intervent buttons.. Any reason for leaving them out?We do not have VNAV and Autothrottles. When we added the -300 they wanted to keep the transition simple and one type rating. No LNAV, VNAV and A/T. Plus they say it is cheaper and we're hand flying it more.

Ten years ago we added the HUD. Eight years ago we added LNAV. You will also notice in that picture that their is no EFIS. We just made it look like the -300.

We just retired our last -200 on 17 January. Maybe we will see EFIS, VNAV and A/T some day.

Ka8 Flyer
22nd Jan 2005, 10:48
Flying an NG without EFIS installed would be quite tedious, don't you think? Especially for CM2... :8

Seriously, aren't you referring to the PFD/ND display mode?

Regarding the absence of A/T and VNAV - SW says its cheaper, but is it really? I mean, a computer (this may sound harsh) can set thrust much more precise than a human! (ok maybe not in cruise....)
The whole point of introducing the cost index system was to fly the aircraft as efficient as possible.
Or do you set different cruise speeds for every single flight?

Regards,

Mark

TR4A
22nd Jan 2005, 15:36
Seriously, aren't you referring to the PFD/ND display mode?What you see in the picture is our ONLY display. We can not change it. If I want to see EFIS I can look through the HUD.

We set the power manually and fly pitch with CWS, Vert Speed, or LVL Change. We fly the speeds in the FMC. We do not use Autobrakes. RTO only. No Autoland. Hand flown Cat IIIa approaches with the HGS (HUD).

Fat Dog
23rd Jan 2005, 14:27
Quite amazing how some airlines choose to castrate nice new equipment...

[Edited for bad spelling]

alf5071h
23rd Jan 2005, 15:02
TR4A, there appears to be some confusion from your unusual definition of EFIS. I understand that most “glass / flat panel” flight decks are “Electronic Flight Instrument display Systems”, the display formats can vary from strip speed/linear side scales to analogue dial formats.

The SW installation uses the alternative analogue format, which for some opinions are better instruments. E.g the airspeed indicator has a longer scale length and gives improved speed awareness due to the angular pointer, and together these features improve the rate of change cues; there are similar arguments for the altimeter.

The commonality with other fleet aircraft and training issues are positive safety benefits that other operators should note.
Now, if only SW could take note of the airspeed scale more appropriately on final approach, and not expect a reading when taxing!! :-)

TR4A
23rd Jan 2005, 16:53
TR4A, there appears to be some confusion from your unusual definition of EFIS. I understand that most “glass / flat panel” flight decks are “Electronic Flight Instrument display Systems”, the display formats can vary from strip speed/linear side scales to analogue dial formats.Okay, not the standard EFIS display. Round dial display. The company is starting to get out of "Fly it like a 200 mode."

Now, if only SW could take note of the airspeed scale more appropriately on final approach, and not expect a reading when taxing!! :-)We have one of best safety records in the industry. The only US passenger airline making money.

EightsOnPylons
16th Jul 2005, 12:26
>TR4A

You mention that you do not have A/T , but the aircraft on the photo has a switch for it? Is the switch non functional?

8on

sapperkenno
16th Jul 2005, 14:27
EightsOnPylons, not that easy to see but if you look closely the A/T is placarded "inop" and is therefore inoperative on that particular A/C.

TR4A
16th Jul 2005, 15:25
You mention that you do not have A/T , but the aircraft on the photo has a switch for it? Is the switch non functional?Yes, it is deactivated.