PDA

View Full Version : Core RAF Airfields

Gisajob
21st Jan 2005, 15:27
Can anyone throw any light on the story about core RAF Airfields. I have heard that there is a study going round which proposes that, except for training airfields (Valley, Shawbury, Linton, Cranwell), the RAF may cut back to about 7 core airfields and close the rest. It might take a few years to organise tho'.

RAF Waddington –Nimrod / Awacs
RAF Lossiemouth or Kinloss - FST
RAF Leuchars – FST/Typhoon
RAF Coningsby - Typhoon
RAF Brize Norton – Transport - Helicopters
RAF Marham - FST/Typhoon

Reprieve for RAF Lyneham - maybe Helicopters ?

Its becoming a small world.

Gisajob

airborne_artist
21st Jan 2005, 16:08
You might get more bites on the Mil forum - not many find their way to ATC.

The residents close to RAF Benson would be happy enough, but the PFI provider of the rotary sims at Benson (six of them, I think) might be a bit sad to have call in Pickfords to go to Brize or Lyneham.

simfly
21st Jan 2005, 17:07
Think you'd find that Cottesmore or Wittering would be included there..... but I'd not read much into any of this at this moment in time.

Gisajob
21st Jan 2005, 19:03
Sorry SIMFLY but those two Harrier stations are being replaced by FST so are redundant !! It may slip a few years tho'

Gisajob

ADIS5000
21st Jan 2005, 19:21
Gisajob, Yep..... there is a study ongoing into Core Airfields. If you search around the Houses of Parliament website you should find a link, as the illustrious Mr Hoon announced it in parliament a while ago. Unusually, it's all to do with money saving and will form part of a new grand strategy for the new, leaner, compact but more high tech, fit for the new millenium lower morale air force. I'm no expert but I'd say you weren't a million miles away with your list. Perhaps you can get a job as a Defence Consultant and liberate some of the tax payers defence budget!!

Regards, ADIS

PPRuNe Radar
21st Jan 2005, 21:16
With such a small level of air assets ... any chance of UK PLC reducing the volume of Danger and Restricted areas ??

Mmmm, thought not ;)

ADIS5000
22nd Jan 2005, 15:44
Ah, Mr Moderator, yes..........fewer assets, but the new one's we are getting have a higher performance, thus requiring more space to realise their full potential. Therefore, can we have some more airspace please mister?!! Just kidding!! Although I certainly wouldn't foresee any airspace being handed back to the GAT world. Also, don't forget that the DAs and RAs etc are used by the good old USAF as well.

Now who mentioned that Class D between Newc and Abz?!

Regards, ADIS

Edited 'cos I had a blank moment!

PPRuNe Radar
22nd Jan 2005, 18:50
Or Class C at FL195 and above over the whole of the UK FIRs coming next year ..... we live in interesting times !!

M609
22nd Jan 2005, 21:41
A sincere question: Why is Class-D/C (or A/B) so dreaded by the UK MOD?

I mean, it's not like it's impossible to have trainingareas in CAS........