PDA

View Full Version : New iQue 3600a Map/GPS SystemFrom Garmin

strake
21st Jan 2005, 12:41
This product really does seem to offer something new from Garmin and tempts me to chop-in the old Pilot III....

Comments from the GPS experts on this forum gratefully accepted.

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600a/

Just another student
23rd Jan 2005, 10:34
I agree it does look a cracking piece of kit, but it better be for 600 GBP. Would it seem that it comes with the different base maps included on CD? Now that would be useful!

strake
23rd Jan 2005, 14:42
Well, I think £600 is probably pretty good given the advertised capability in the air and on the ground.

I did wonder if it was USA only but I see a number of UK "Pilot" shops are now offering it online.

The current write-up is not very clear but it appears that the unit offers full GPS capability and Jepp colour moving map in what seems to be a neat package for yoke mounting.

Come on GPS experts......let's hear yer ten'pennorth...

Just another student
23rd Jan 2005, 14:45
If you can interchange base maps like I have read, then it may prove very popular. Transair offer it at 698 GBP stock is due soon, however if you buy it state side its 600 GBP approx.

It certainly has its advantages.

Aussie Andy
23rd Jan 2005, 18:30
Looks like the hardware is a Palm Pilot instead of Garmin's own hardware: I wonder if it is as robust, how it compares on battery usage, what the user-interface is like, etc in comparison to the Garmin GPS96 / GPS96C?

Andy

Just another student
23rd Jan 2005, 18:45
It has a rechargeable lithium battery good for up to 9 hrs continuous use with the back light at minimum setting.

Thats answers one of the points any way:D

It does look a good bit of kit, but I don't think I'll be taking the plunge. I can get a 3 Pilot for 200 GBP brand new so I may run with that.

Cheers