PDA

View Full Version : Hijackers Trial In Saudi.

mutt
6th Sep 2001, 13:40
JEDDAH, 6 September — The trial of two Chechens, Leriskhan Arsaiev and Deni Magomerzaiev, who hijacked a Russian plane to Madinah earlier this year, has started in Saudi Arabia, the chairman of the Kingdom’s Supreme Judiciary Council disclosed yesterday.

Sheikh Saleh ibn Muhammad Al-Laheedan said the two defendants, who are being tried in accordance with the Shariah law, would not have defense lawyers.

“Such cases do not require a defense lawyer,” Laheedan, who is also a member of the Council of Senior Islamic Scholars, told Okaz Arabic daily.

“The hijacking occurred, the hijackers are known, and they have admitted their crime. Even assuming they had a reason (to carry out the hijacking), this in no way gave them an excuse for hijacking the plane and terrorizing its passengers,” he said. He did not say when the trial opened, but suggested a ruling was expected soon.

Sheikh Laheedan defended the Kingdom’s decision, announced Sunday by Interior Minister Prince Naif, to try the two Chechens despite a request by Russian President Vladimir Putin that they be handed over to Moscow.

There is no extradition treaty between Moscow and Riyadh.

“The crime occurred in the Kingdom, and it does not allow those who commit crimes on its territory to stand trial in another country,” Laheedan said.

A Russian hostess and a Turkish passenger died when Saudi special forces stormed the plane March 16, a day after three hijackers took over the aircraft on a flight from Istanbul to Moscow, and forced it to land in Madinah. The hijackers were demanding an end to the Russian offensive in Chechnya. The third hijacker, Soupian Arsaiev, was also killed during the operation to free the 120 passengers aboard the Vnoukovo Airlines plane.

As the sentence for murder is death, I fully expect these guys to have their heads chopped off!

If this doesn’t offer a deterrent to hijacking, nothing will.....

Mutt :mad:

TowerDog
6th Sep 2001, 14:39
Heads be rolling.

Rightly so.

Death to hijackers :mad:

radeng
6th Sep 2001, 16:09
Dunno, Towerdog. Life with no parole (or prospect of)in a Saudi jail may be such that a swift beheading would be preferable....

Final 3 Greens
6th Sep 2001, 16:54
Radeng

Easy to rationalise when you're not kneeling, bound, waiting for the swordsman to tap you in the ribs to get your full attention!

I'm with Towerdog

TowerDog
6th Sep 2001, 18:29
Well, a life sentence in a Saudi jail is nothing to take lightly either.
If more countries had them kinds of jails, more folks would probably make an effort to stay our of jail.

As opposed to the "Country Club" kind of jails in civilized countries where people go on vacation for a few months.

The advantage of the Saudi beheading is that it is swift, cheap and efficient.

It is also used quite a bit over there in the sandbox.
A death sentence for adultery or selling moon-shine is overkill (Pun intended) in my opinion, but well deserved for people who murder i cold blood or hijack airplanes.

Also it should be used on those swines that circumcice little girls all over the Middle East and Africa.
:mad: