PDA

View Full Version : Gas pumps and Zip codes

david viewing
20th Jan 2005, 13:06
All the talk of flying in the US on other threads reminds me of a question that arose here some time ago - what to do about automated gas (fuel) pumps that demand a ZIP code. Anyone touring out there is bound to encounter one sooner or later.

Two completely seperate FBO refuellers told me the same thing last week. If stuck for a Zip code, they just type in their own local zip and Bingo! it works. One went as far as to say any 5 digit number would do. Apparently the Zips are only used in the event of a dispute.

I must stress I have not tried this personally at an automated pump, but it worked fine with the two truck cab mounted machines where the issue arose. It's possible the automated machines are online and verify the code, but the refuellers didn't think so.

I think it's pretty poor that the UK banks encourage us to use our cards in the US, but don't warn us or provide a fix for this problem which can arise on the highway as well as at the airport.

slim_slag
20th Jan 2005, 13:17
They only want your zip when using a credit card, if you use a debit card then your PIN should work. As for whether they verify, one of my credit cards only works when I use my previous home zip, so I guess they do of sorts.

david viewing
20th Jan 2005, 13:25
Hmm.. My debit card, which works in ATMs there, didn't work at a gas station.

I think the message is : only plan on refuelling at attended FBO's!