PDA

View Full Version : John Farley at North Weald, 19th Jan

AerBabe
17th Jan 2005, 12:27
Following on from Guy Gratton's talk on microlighting last month, we now have the pleasure of John Farley, giving a talk entitled "From Science Museum to Joint Strike Fighter".

In John's own words: The lecture looks back over 44 years of jet VSTOL development and service and starts by tracing the part played by eight individuals who took the critical decisions (all before 1960) which enabled the Harrier family of aircraft to emerge and then enter RAF service in 1969.

It continues with some highlights of the later development of the aircraft and ends with a look at the engineering of the Joint Strike Fighter, currently being developed to replace the Harrier.

It's open to all, with a donation requested of £1 for members and £2 for guests, to help cover expenses. It starts at 8pm at The Squadron bar.

Kolibear
20th Jan 2005, 07:04
Thank you John, for an interesting, informative and amusing talk.

Rallye Driver
20th Jan 2005, 09:34
Very interesting evening - I learned a lot, though with the traffic chaos, I thought I wasn't going to make it!

Thanks again, John.

RD :ok:

smithoag
20th Jan 2005, 13:15
for the interest of anyone unable to make Nth Weald last night,Mr Farley is giving the same talk to Oxfordshire Aviation Group on April 11th at the Marlborough Club,Didcot,Oxon

Aim Far
20th Jan 2005, 13:28
Definitely worth going to see. Last night's talk was very interesting. Thanks to John and also to those who organised it.

AerBabe
20th Jan 2005, 17:34
Many thanks again to John, for making the long trip up to give us the talk, AND having to struggle with the traffic. Also very nice to meet another PPRuNer... Apologies to Kolibear & Rallye Driver that I didn't have time to say hi. :O

skydriller
21st Jan 2005, 06:48
I dont know if it is the same lecture or not, but I have a copy of the lecture notes about Harrier developement that JF gave about a year or so ago and were available online at the time, very interesting read. I would be happy to dig it up and E mail it to anyone interested, PM me with an Email address.

Likewise if this is a different lecture, are the notes available online for those that were unable to attend?

Regards, SD..

Kolibear
21st Jan 2005, 09:38
Aim Far - I didn't realise that you were a North Weald resident/visitor.

So what caused the traffic chaos on the M11 - we were coming north & the inside lane was almost stationary. We queue-jumped and joined the inside lane at the Harlow slip. All the traffic lights on the flyover were green & the police were waving us through. But it looked like the M11 further was clogged too.

Aim Far
21st Jan 2005, 11:28
Kolibear - don't know - I assumed it was just something to do with those roadworks. It was more or less solved by the time I got there. Sounds like something VSTOL would have been helpful.

AerBabe - nice to meet you too:D

TD&H
21st Jan 2005, 13:40
Re: John Farley (rather than traffic jams!)

Is there a listing of where he'll be doing future talks?

JF, if you're there can you let us know through Pprune where else we can go to hear you? Thanks

AerBabe
21st Jan 2005, 17:33
The problems on the M11 were caused by faulty traffic lights at J7 - the A414 junction. Also, there was a crash on the M25, J27/J28, clockwise. I was in the tower all afternoon, watching the traffic ebbing & flowing, and being told by the various 'roadwatch' people that nothing was wrong! :confused:

Kolibear - Aim Far is a NW resident, AND his RT is better than yours. :p

John Farley
21st Jan 2005, 17:37
Thanks for the kind remarks folks

The dates in my diary for the same sort of chat to the one at North Weald (I have no script as I prefer to talk to slides in a way that seems appropriate to the particular audience) are:

14 Feb The Aircrew Association Portsmouth Branch (morning 11.30) Royal British Legion Hayling Island,

11 April as mentioned above at the Oxford Av Gp

and 19 April at the RAeS Marham Branch.

JF

Aim Far
21st Jan 2005, 18:16
Aw shucks............:O

Rallye Driver
21st Jan 2005, 21:03
And mine as well presumably. If I had something to fly, that is.

RD :{

AerBabe
21st Jan 2005, 21:19
Well... I haven't known Aim Far to take off without telling me first... yet. ;)

john_tullamarine
21st Jan 2005, 23:12
... now .. how do we entice JF to take a trip to Oz and do his thing in an RAeS lecture circuit sort of way ?

BRL
21st Jan 2005, 23:25
Easy, do a web cast............. :8