PDA

View Full Version : Organising a flypast for my Father

bizflyer
16th Jan 2005, 19:26
My father passed away a couple of days ago and we are organising his funeral for this coming Friday (January 21st) in North Norfolk. Dad was in the RAF (national service) just after WWII, however he felt and displayed a very strong interest and affinity with the servicemen of the RAF for the rest of his life. He loved flying and although not a pilot, had been 'unofficially' allowed to take the controls of both Dakotas and Halifax bombers on a number of occasions/ferry flights. His RAF service involved working in the tower/ATC at Dishforth and flying as a radio operator. During the war 'as a boy' he worked in the manufacture of Aircraft machine guns.

I realise the impossibility of organising any kind of official acknowledgement of his passing, however wondered if anybody could provide some advice in respect of a 'private overflight'. Can we, his family pay for such a thing, it almost wouldn't matter what type of aircraft but obviously getting a Dak would be a dream come true, it could of course just be a private cessna or similar. Maybe someone knows who might be flying that day in the region and we could pay for a 'diversion' over the church at a particular time? I realise this may seem a bizarre and ambitious question, but if anyone reading this can help or give advice in any way, I would be extremely grateful. Any payment (and I do realise it might not be cheap) could be made either to the owner/operator or a charity of your choice.

P-T-Gamekeeper
16th Jan 2005, 19:45
Try a phonecall to RAF Marham, in Norfolk. One of their Tornado bombers may be able to bend over the church, if you give them a time. Ask for "Operations", and just explain your circunstances.

I don't know their policy, but it's worth a phonecall. If they are flying at that time, it wouldn't be too hard to arrange an overflight, as long as the church is not in the middle of a town.

bizflyer
16th Jan 2005, 20:33
Thanks P-T

I'll try that, the Tornado's often go over the village (very low & loud tho), maybe they could slow down for the day. Anyway, further suggestions are also welcome as it may be my luck that they don't fly on Friday, I'll post here if I get a yes to my request. If it helps the rough co-ordinates are Lat: 52:53:54N (52.8983) Lon: 0:40:36E (0.6767) but that's taken off of multimap so I'm not sure how accurate.

bizflyer
17th Jan 2005, 08:21
I have placed an enquiry with a charter operator (air atlantique), however any other suggestions would be very welcome.

topcat450
17th Jan 2005, 11:31
Well it's a long shot, however http://www.southcoastairways.com/ seem to be selling thiers, however I'm pretty sure you used to be able to charter them. It might be worth a call just on the off-chance they can help.

Alternatively, go in with you're best clothes and say you're interested in buying it but need a decent test flight first.

Good luck.

ManfredvonRichthofen
17th Jan 2005, 11:40
Ok, enormous longshot and highly unlikely to work but....

I remember checking out the red arrows a while back - just out of interest.

You won't be able to "book" them to appear, but they do say that if they happen to be in the neighbourhood and its not too much trouble and there is a reason, they are often happy to make a small detour for a flypast.

like i said its as long as a longshot ever got
but nothing ventured.....

Hope you manage to find something appropriate whatever happens

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/faqs.html

Phileas Fogg
17th Jan 2005, 11:56
Try a phone call to Duxford, they have loads of WW11 equipment based there I believe.

bizflyer
17th Jan 2005, 12:10
Thank you all for the advice. I have now booked a spitfire from duxford using contact details provided on PPrune in the Mil forum.

Many thanks again

Sink Rate
18th Jan 2005, 19:39
Thats brilliant. Im so pleased that PPRune has been able to help.

I was about to offer advice to anyone doing it about rule 5 and low flying, and if that an exemption is wanted then speak to the very helpful people down at the CAAs GA dept. But as you have a spitfire then Ill just shut up as I know the boys at duxford know more about flypasts than Ill ever know about anything.

I hope it all works out, and my condolences.

SR

flite idol
20th Jan 2005, 13:54
Sorry for the loss of your father but what a great way to honour his life. It may seem morbid but dont forget to have someone video the fly-past. All the best.