PDA

View Full Version : Work on Runway

Abu
15th Jan 2005, 22:54
I have recently moved to the Middle East. Because of the heat during the day we gat a lot of rubber deposits from the landing aircraft....

Recently I was asked to clear aircraft to depart and land on the runway whilst people and vehicles where on the the runway threshold removing the rubber. (we only have 1 runway)

This info was included in the Atis and passed on by the Approach Controller. Papi's were switched off.

However it was a 'unique' experience for me to have personnel/vehicles on the runway at the same time as planes!

All the tower controllers were passed a verbal message to say this operation was ok by our immediate superior but all the paprwork failed to omit in black and white that it was ok for the vehicles and planes could be on the runway at the same time.

I have questions about the safety of this. Is this normal ops?? I have never experienced this before and wondered if this happens elsewhere...

cossack
16th Jan 2005, 01:16
During last summer, the western half of our runway 05/23 was closed for lighting upgrades, but was available in a "stub" operation at a reduced distance for both departures and arrivals in either direction. Watching guys in RJs approaching to land over the closed portion was interesting at times.

M609
16th Jan 2005, 02:19
Last summer we did a extensive re-fit of airport signs and lighting and it involved a lot of work on/close to the runway. We did use reduced distances when needed, but since most of our traffic is local flight training and military, this operation was only conducted with aircraft form these operators. (And only with light aircarft and helos, medium and larger was not possible due to runway lenght) "Outsiders" got full lenght.

I would have serious problems with allowing it for non-local ( not briefed in advance) operators, if not temporary THR or END lights (And/or papi) was placed for the relevant distance remaining.