PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 - sparks from wheel

Rodger Ramjet
15th Jan 2005, 08:38
Landing at Manchester the other day in a Dash 8, I noticed sparks coming from the left side wheel as the brakes went on. No-one seemed to mention it to the crew. Is this normal? Do plane brakes have brake pads that can wear out like cars?

MarkD
15th Jan 2005, 15:44
Rodger - did *you* mention it? Safety is everyone's responsibility. If you notice something unusual when you have flown several times on a type I think you should mention it.

I often *quietly* inform an FA of any problems with overhead lockers that seem not to latch properly or seats that have problems - I rely on the FA to check it or have someone else check it. I don't berate them about "shoddy aircraft" as some would, I don't post about it on proon, and I don't expect thanks for it coz it's good manners if nothing else.

Final 3 Greens
15th Jan 2005, 16:27
Rodger

Aircraft do have discs and pad braking system like cars (in fact, the technology came from aircraft to cars.)

Although I have a PPL, I don't understand the details of the braking systems of larger aircraft and there may be a very good and normal reason for what you saw.

if I were you, I would re-post under the Questions section, with a short rider to say that you are not being sensalionalist and are interested in an explanantion.

My bet is that some Dash 8 driver will respond to you.

Torque2
15th Jan 2005, 19:02
Cant speak specifically for the Dash 8 but have seen on several occasions the same thing on different aircraft. Light sparks from the inside of the disc area, especially when its dark, is just the wear and debris of the disc pad as the brakes are applied.
Good spot though.

jarjam
16th Jan 2005, 15:24
Like most Larger a/c the DHC-8 is fitted with multiple carbon disc brakes. What you probably saw was some very hot carbon particles being ejected from the brake assembly.
I'm sure this is normal and that you would'nt have noticed it during the day.:O

window-seat
16th Jan 2005, 16:36
Yes, sparking brake pads are a normal occurance on the dash, (and most other types). We get pax mentioning 'sparks from the wheels' to the cabin crew all the time, (usually during the hours of darkness) as they have a great view of the gear from the windows.

Never seen it myself however, as you can't quite see from the pointy end!!

W-S

Rodger Ramjet
17th Jan 2005, 11:38
Thanks, all.
I'll feel a lot less traumatised next time I see the old fireworks from the undercarriage!

Skylark_air
17th Jan 2005, 22:08
As a Dash-8 pilot by profession, and I've heard of this happening on a few occasions. It is common for this to happen, but nothing to worry about, because the aircraft travels too slowly, and the landing is far too bumpy for it to effect the aircraft.

It's probably been caused by wear-and-tear. The worst damage sparks could do to the D8 from the N-Gear would probably be wearing the tyres, and making them a bit on the hot side. It isn't anything to worry about unless somebody has left a lot of fuel on the runway, causing an explosion...which is very unlikely, unless Jeremy Clarkson Drives that Porsche he got for £1500, on the runway, more often than constantly.

Only report this incident if there was more than one spark

Hope this puts your mind to rest...

How's it Hanging
18th Jan 2005, 02:01
The sparks are more common if new pads have just been put on.

You sometime see them if brakes are used a bit during taxi, but most common just as you start the take off roll as the brakes are just coming off, the rotor speed is increasing and the increased prop slipstream seems to almost blow the hot particles off the brake assembly.

More obvious on dash as you can see the brakes and wheels unlike most aircraft.

excrab
18th Jan 2005, 22:24
Not trying to sound patronising but are you sure they were sparks?

A few years ago shortly after I started operating the dash 300 we arrived at night at destination, and whilst the passengers were disembarking was head down filling in the tech log and the F/O busy setting up navaids for departure when we both noticed hoards of flashing blue lights approaching.

It transpired that one of the passengers had reported to the airport ground staff (but not to aircraft crew) that he had seen sparks from the wheels hubs during the landing.

Fire crew and engineers checked carefully and I added my own miniscule knowledge to the discussion, and after consultation with ops and maintrol we decided that nothing was wrong and we returned to base non the wiser.

A few weeks later I was discussing the incident with a very experienced dash 8 training captain who told me that such reports were very common. The dash 8 has, for lightness, spoked wheels (obviously not like a bike wheel but with lightening holes in it) and passengers often see runway and taxiway edge lights through these holes which depending upon where they are seated and the angle of their line of sight can often give the appearance of sparking, and as a result there have been many incidents such as the one I had.

I'm not sugesting that you can't recognise a spark when you see one, but it could be an explanation for what you saw.

rsr3
19th Jan 2005, 00:25
yup i've also seen sparks from the brakes of a dash 8 shortly after touchdown. wasn't too worried about it though! i'm sure i'd spark a little if i had several tonnes squashed onto me at 130kts!!

but i'm pretty sure they were sparks, little orange flecks flying off in all directions. pretty cool in the dark actually!!

Rodger Ramjet
19th Jan 2005, 18:02
Yeah, definitely sparks. It was during daylight too, which made it all the more alarming! BA1839 Glasgow to Manchester 13th January. I'm sensing from the various posts that it's not unusual. (Doctor, doctor - I keep thinking I'm Tom Jones. Doctor: It's not unusual...) :suspect:

Dash-7 lover
21st Jan 2005, 22:12
When Brymon first took delivery of the Dash-8-102's GBRYG/H (first on uk reg) there were almost continuous reports of orange sparks from the brake discs. I've witnessed it myself on landing at CDG many years ago, and I did report it to maintenance control!! although it was more like a Catherine Wheel than the 'odd spark'....It's just a common feature of the Dash-8 like ' elevator horn heat failure' and 'hydraulic leaks'......etc etc