PDA

View Full Version : Are we reagrded as an "essential service"?

cleared2land 27left
12th Sep 2000, 17:37
If the impending doom of no petrol happens will we as atco's be allowed to have petrol to enable us to fulfill our duty. Or can we use the excuse of no petrol as a reason not to be able to come to work?

Although I would love to try working from home http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by cleared2land 27left (edited 12 September 2000).]

Bright-Ling
12th Sep 2000, 20:53
....definitely not!!!!

Well, I hope not. The thought of having a few gash days at home due to lack of fuel is quite appealing - especially with this nice weather. Lurvelly!!!

Seriously though - our watch will not have enough fuel to come in on the next cycle. Most are struggling this cycle!

The problem for ATC staff seems to be that very few people live close to their workplace. No-one on our shift could even do it in time if they could find any public transport working.

I believe that places like EGLL have their aviation fuel pumped in direct - is this true? Having said that, even if the pax can make it and the a/c is fuelled - will the crew?!?!?!?

cleared2land 27left
13th Sep 2000, 02:22
Yeah I hope not either!

Have heard some rumours from some in the know and the ever reliable british press that EGLL has a direct pipeline from a refinery. Any advances...

Spotter
13th Sep 2000, 02:33
The boss at my unit was warning everyone today that lack of petrol would not be an acceptable excuse for not turning up to work.

Dunno what he's planning to do if anyone does it.

cleared2land 27left
13th Sep 2000, 03:30
Some boss eh! Is that the head of ATC or your WM?

get'em to heaven & back
13th Sep 2000, 04:15
when you live 15 mins away by car yet it still takes an hour & 1/2 just to get to the terminal you could almost be tempted to go sick rather than face that in the morning!

Bluespectre
13th Sep 2000, 09:45
Would you blokes please confirm that there is a fuel shortage in the UK and that you are not an ESSENTIAL SERVICE. Had similar problem a few years ago in Sydney/AUST and we were considered to be ESSENTIAL(civil & Military ATC).
Maybe that is the price the community will pay for privatization!

Spotter
13th Sep 2000, 15:05
It was the GM.

ATCO Two
13th Sep 2000, 15:52
I remember during a previous petrol crisis our Chief Officer (that dates me!) gave each ATCO a chitty, stating that we were essential for the safety of aviation, that we were supposed to produce at the garage. Never actually tried it, but can imagine what the reaction would have been!

Asda
13th Sep 2000, 16:41
I've just found out that from Thursday, NATS is running a bus from NERC via Tesco Winchester to LATCC each way for each shift for 'as long as it takes'.

Makes you feel really loved doesn't it?

Gonzo
13th Sep 2000, 18:19
Cleared to Land 27L,

Am led to believe that the 'ring main' for fuel distribution to and around LL is the most extensive outside the military.

Gonzo

Mr Chips
13th Sep 2000, 21:44
GM suggested using taxis or minibuses. So how do these buses/taxis/minibuses run without fuel????????

------------------
"The Hamster my friend, is blowing in the wind"

cleared2land 27left
13th Sep 2000, 22:07
Gonzo, does that include a certain central area petrol station with regards to supply?

Gonzo
14th Sep 2000, 23:17
c2l27l,

Nope<g>

On my night shift this week they were still queueing when I at 0400 from the previous night!

Gonzo

250 kts
15th Sep 2000, 00:43
Go to www.sky.com (http://www.sky.com) and you'll find that Tony's decided we're essential users. There's also a list of stations where we can fill up on showing our id.

Numpo-Nigit
15th Sep 2000, 02:21
Hang on folks, before you rush off to one of the nominated depots. The ID, at LATCC at least, has nothing but a pretty(?) picture and a meaningless number. I am told that from tomorrow (Friday) we'll all be getting an official letter to confirm our identity and essential status to the nice policeman at the pumps. Of course, if you've got insufficient fuel to get to LATCC tomorrow, that's no consolation. And, by the way, the minibus from NERC to LATCC for tomorrow afternoon will be so full that it is unable to stop at Camberley or Fleet to pick up the deserving!

Bright-Ling
15th Sep 2000, 03:00
Bugger.......Am depressed to report the following:

I have just filled my car up at an Emergency Services only station and used my ATC licence as proof of occupation.

Obviously, the poor guy had never seen one before and said 'fill your boots'!! (Not literally)

Sad thing is, I had a gash day off this weekend. Typical!

The Sad ATCO
16th Sep 2000, 00:12
Yes Girls,

Whilst the fuel situation appears to be easing, you will be pleased to know that we ARE classed as essential. Check this out:
www.fuelinfo.gov.uk/statement.htm (http://www.fuelinfo.gov.uk/statement.htm)

There are 258 petrol stations nationwide where we can get fuel with our ID. Follow the links from the above page for their locations.

RE: Pipelines

Heathrow and Gatwick are fed from an extensive fuel pipeline network. EGLL's pipe starts from Fawley, near Southampton. I think the feed for Gatwick breaks off from it near Alton in Hants. Check out:
www.bpa.co.uk (http://www.bpa.co.uk)

Info on some other pipelines can be found at:
www.desc.dla.mil/main/fuelline/spring98/deouk.htm (http://www.desc.dla.mil/main/fuelline/spring98/deouk.htm)

Cheerio.

Sad