PDA

View Full Version : NATS Radio/Radar transmitters

snbower
12th Jan 2005, 11:08
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to furnish me with a list/map of all the UK NATS radar and radio transmitter locations?

Ahh-40612
12th Jan 2005, 11:29
Probably not in this security concious world.

snbower
12th Jan 2005, 11:31
Point taken, although, I guess all I'm wanting is the nearest town :)

Si

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jan 2005, 11:40
I suppose the obvious question is: Why?

snbower
12th Jan 2005, 11:45
I may have a "friend", who occasionally hears area control transmissions from a scanner, and who would be interested to know the dead/good reception areas in the UK :)

regards

lippiatt
12th Jan 2005, 12:31
This has got to be a wind up right?

Whilst your at it why not phone up MI6 or GCHQ at Cheltenham to ask for a guided tour of their ops room!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jan 2005, 12:35
<<I may have a "friend", who occasionally hears area control transmissions from a scanner, and who would be interested to know the dead/good reception areas in the UK >>

Hmmm.. Well he certainly wouldn't need to know the location of the radar transmitters.

snbower
12th Jan 2005, 13:31
Correct, no requirement for radar sites (my mistake). Naturally, I was being tongue in cheek 'lippiatt', I am the listener! The 'Airband Radio Guide' has a basic map of the UK showing some radio transmitter sites, so I'm guessing it's not classified info. If no help available, that's fine.

letMfly
12th Jan 2005, 14:28
snbower, I hope I won't be hunted down for telling you this, but most of NATS airports transmitters are located fairly close to the airports.

'fraid I can't help you much with the en-route TXs.

letMfly

Spitoon
12th Jan 2005, 18:20
And I don't think I'd be giving too much away if I mentioned that the radar sites can normally be identified by looking for a huge golf ball on high ground!

niknak
12th Jan 2005, 19:43
and the majority of en - route transmitters/relay stations are co located at the radar sites, but don't tell anyone else....:p

swp53
12th Jan 2005, 20:39
They usually have a sign saying NATS and a warning regarding any interference with the equipment.
Some are right next to main roads, a few that come to mind are :
Davidstow,Cornwall or is it Devon. Anyway adjacent the airfield on the main road.
Winstone ( also kwnow as Birdlip in the past I recall) next to the main road between Cirencester and Gloucester.
One thats difficult to miss is Clee Hill near Ledbury, Herefordshire due to the golf balls stuck on the highest bit of ground in the area.
But these are in my part of the world so may be of no help at all.

I dont think security is an issue even in these times due to the fact that the general location can be found in many books relating to airband listening ao scanners in general.