PDA

View Full Version : June / September courses

Sandgrounder
12th Jan 2005, 10:42
Hey, anyone likely to be starting in Bournemouth later this year?

I got a preliminary letter through saying I'd most likely be starting in June or September - course allocation being based on date of first application so probably September for me cos first applied in Feb '04.

Thought I'd start to find some others on here who might be on those courses. Any of you March guys who missed out due the whole all tower course thing heard anything? They say whether June / Septmeber might be all area?

I'm 23 and living in London at the mo' working for the wonderful civil service :O . From Southport originally as the name suggests and went to Sheffield and Loughborough unis (psychology / sports science). Be good to get to know some of you guys :)

dingerc
12th Jan 2005, 11:26
Afternoon Sandgrounder,
I got that same letter last week. Can't remember exactly when I first applied but I reckon it was about summer 2003. Hopefully that's early enough to scrape on to the June course - I've had enough waiting around since my acceptance last summer!

I'm travelling a bit further to join you guys - I've been working for an I.T. company in Belfast for the last 5 years and decided at the age of 27 it's finally time to pursue a career I really want.

Hopefully we'll hear from a few others new starts on this thread in the coming weeks. Just out of interest... are there any other new recruits from Northern Ireland out there?

Bye for now,
D

Winter2004
12th Jan 2005, 11:44
Hello!

I got the successful email in November (applied August, first section September, second stage October)!

I've got my medical next week!

Email said to expect a late 2005 start date! How excited am I!!!

Maybe I'll see you there !

Winter:D

superdove
12th Jan 2005, 12:36
I'm hoping for September, but would be equally pleased with June. I'm up in Glasgow managing a leisure centre, and have moved around a bit working in London and Barnsley. Cannot wait to get started and get it all official, but would be great to hear from some others.

sla
12th Jan 2005, 17:02
I was a March bod, haven't heard anything further from recruitment about June. Anyway count yourselves lucky for getting a letter, all I've got is my 6 month old e-mail.:\

Looking forward to starting. See you there maybe.:D

Taffy1
12th Jan 2005, 20:07
Hello,

I also got the letter from NATS last week, june/sept, was really pleased to here anything from them as all had gone quiet since the acceptance e-mail i got last sept. Still waiting to hear about medical etc tho!

I am 24, currently living in manchester but originally from north wales, have been working as a dispatcher for 5 years now MAN and itching to get started down in BOH.

Nice to meet some of my fellow new TATC's.

Taffy1

dannyo
15th Jan 2005, 07:03
Taffy, sorry to drift off topic but which handling agent are you working for? There's a couple of girls on our course (202, December) that were dispatchers at MAN.

Taffy1
15th Jan 2005, 20:50
Dannyo

Was origanlly with Globeground, now Servisair/Globeground.

Taffy1

pumuckl
9th Mar 2005, 12:10
Anyone else got the letter from NATS in the mail yesterday? It's good to finally get something in writing - I have been allocated to the June course. Who else has?

Can't wait to start!

p. :)

sla
9th Mar 2005, 17:43
:D I'm in for June too. Anyone else hear anything?

greig
9th Mar 2005, 18:17
Hey folks,

I got letter yesterday too and I am on June course too. Thought that letter would never come through! Just looking forward to get started now and can finally put notice in for my current job!

Billy Onions
10th Mar 2005, 10:05
Got the same letter through about June. Now I'm just torn between actually getting excited about it and waiting for something to go wrong. Do we know if this is a full course? The NATS website has been saying there will be no courses until September for a while and then out of the blue this letter comes through. Ah well - can't be helped, I'm going to go for the cautious optimism and see what comes. 3 Months and counting then folks.

dingerc
10th Mar 2005, 14:52
Starting to panic a bit here as I haven't received my letter yet! I got the same letter as you guys back in January informing me that the June/September courses were subject to change. Now that the June course is back on I expected I should be on it as I first applied in summer 03 and got my acceptance in April 04.

I phoned HR and worryingly it seems they can't find me anywhere on their system! The girl I spoke to says she needs to know the course number in order to try and find me?!! Can any of you tell me what it is please?

I've passed my medical, completed my security questionairre and as far as I know I haven't committed any crime since my initial acceptance so hopefully I'll be seeing you all in June!

Cheers,
D

Dances with Boffins
10th Mar 2005, 15:21
June course is 204. September is 205.
You get the idea?:cool:

We apologise for HR. They are totally over-stretched.

Armitage
10th Mar 2005, 22:25
Hiya,

Just passed the medical stage, I received my certificate from the CAA last week!

Haven't received any other letters for a while now, spoke to HR last week, hopefully, i will be joining the Sept course.

Does anyone know what course the Sept/ 205 will be?

Thanks.

Ax

jimthings
13th Mar 2005, 13:43
I'm almost scared of asking this question, as i know the answer is not going to be one that I like, but:

How long, on average, do people think it has taken them from getting past 2nd selection (i.e. pre medical) to the stage where they actually knew what course they were going to be on? How long between 2nd selection and taking your medical? etc etc, those kind of timing questions.

I'm obviously a couple of stages behind the guys/girls on this thread as I only received the conditional offer email -subject to medical and security check- last week.

The email stated that they 'anticipate' a 2005 start, but it'd be nice to know what everyone else's experience has been so I can have some idea of what I'm gonna be doing over the next few months of my life as i've got house contracts to sign etc!!

Cheers.
:ok:

Armitage
13th Mar 2005, 19:52
I had my interview mid November 2004, rec'd the e-mail to say that I had been successful late November.

At the beginning of December I rec'd a letter asking for references, school certificates and the security questionnaire. I already work for NATS so have been security cleared which may have moved things along a bit quicker?

I then rec’d the letter regarding the medical asking me to arrange an appointment, but what with Christmas, New Year and two weeks away the earliest date available was the start of Feb. I found out that I had passed the medical about a week ago so then called HR to see if they had an idea of a start date and I was told it should be no later than Sept, but nothing set in stone.

Things seem to be moving a lot quicker now, so who knows maybe see you in Sept?

dingerc
14th Mar 2005, 10:18
It is with much relief that I can announce I will be joining you guys on the June course! HR called back this morning - it seems they had some note on their system saying I didn't want to start until September. Fortunately there were still a few spaces available so it's all sorted out now!

To answer Jimthings question... I applied in summer 03, initial aptitude tests Jan 04, final interviews March 04, acceptance letter April, medical August, confirmation of June 05 course - TODAY!

D:)

italianjon
14th Mar 2005, 10:33
I was looking at the NATS website, and it says courses start in January, April, July and October. Any reason June/September is being quoted? Has NATS changed start dates?

Just a query.

Laters...

Dances with Boffins
14th Mar 2005, 10:50
Courses used to start every 13 weeks, commencing First Monday in January. That gave a Jan, April, July, October start-cycle. Due to the new course structure coming in at the moment, courses now start on a cycle that starts in mid December, so the start-dates go roughly March, June, September, December. The web-site will likely get updated shortly.

All the fresh-faces for 203 Course pitched up at the College this morning. This course is the "Airports only" intake that was trimmed down to about half-size. Wish them luck.

All Intakes from June onwards will be at full size and will train Area and Airports controllers from each intake. The ratio of Area to Airports controllers is roughly 4:1.

Winter2004
14th Apr 2005, 16:07
I had a lovely telephone call today from a wonderful lady at NATS HR asking if I would like a place on the June 6th course!!!

She said that I was originally penciled in for a later course but a place had come available! How excited am I?! So a big HELLO to everyone else due to start then!

Just seven weeks to pack my life into boxes and have a few leaving do's!

(A very happy) Winter :D

Dances with Boffins
18th Apr 2005, 08:46
Another satisfied customer. That makes 2 this year. HR are getting the hang of this...:cool:

DwB

greig
18th Apr 2005, 10:34
Winter2004,

Another one we know about now, the numbers seems to be growing slowly!! HR have even said contracts will be out in the post later this week which will eventually give me the chance to put in my notice with current emplyer and take all my holiday leave i'm due.
I few leaving do's have been planned already for May...roll on June!

G

Dances with Boffins
20th Apr 2005, 12:10
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings...

All of you watch your letter boxes. Still June, but likely the other end of.

All I know.

DwB

Winter2004
20th Apr 2005, 14:49
Don't like the sound of that!

Any idea what the delay is?

Has anyone received their contracts yet?

Phoned HR today and they said they would be sending them out over the next few weeks.

Winter

sla
20th Apr 2005, 15:36
:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

HR told me on Friday that the letters were going out that day and Monday.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's to test how we handle st- st- st- stress isn't it!

Billy Onions
20th Apr 2005, 16:32
Hey up, who's this tugging at the smashing rug I'm resting on?

pumuckl
30th Apr 2005, 09:38
It's official! I just got my letter with the "conditional offer of employment" and terms and conditions today!! Start date is 27 June 05!

Will see you all at 10am in Southampton for the induction week on course number 204! :D

p. :)

Winter2004
30th Apr 2005, 15:13
Me too!

Was very excited at the site of this mornings post!

See you in Southampton in.... eight weeks :D

Winter

VRB03KT CAVOK
30th Apr 2005, 23:39
Quick questions:

A what point is it decided whether you are going into Tower or Radar?

Are you told what you are more suited for or do you suggest your preference?

Thanks

Armitage
1st May 2005, 15:54
Does anyone know if the delay for June will have an impact on the start date for the September course?

Thanks.

Scuzi
1st May 2005, 21:42
VRB03KT CAVOK,

At the end of the introductory course you are given a sheet upon which you number the disciplines in order of preference and write a little story on the back about why you should be picked for your first preference. This is then given to the managers who look at company requirements and try to tie it in with your choice. They'll also take into account your skills in specific areas. Not everybody gets what they want but that's to be expected.
I always wanted to go on to the aerodrome course but unfortunately didn't get it and was assigned to area. I was a bit peeved off at the time but I'm loving area now. :8

Gonzo
1st May 2005, 23:18
It would be interesting to know upon what criteria they base the approach only/aerodrome only/both/area decision. Anyone down at CATC care to comment?

Scuzi, what's the reasoning behind your personal title? PM me if you want.

gyroman
2nd May 2005, 05:08
Well guys it's just as well I checked this forum or I would never have known that the June course had been delayed on account of me being on the other side of the world and out of reach of my letterbox. I work for NATS and have taken unpaid leave in order to go travelling before the planned start date of 6th June, guess I can extend my holiday now. A few phone calls back to Hurn may sort it out! Anyway my main reason for being on here was to suggest sharing lifts to the induction course near Botley for anyone who will, by then, be staying in the Bournemouth area. I live in Bournemouth myself and am happy to drive. Only just registered on here so not sure of the protocol of leaving personal contact details so if anyone wants to share a lift "sometime" in June let me know how to make contact.
Cheers

Winter2004
10th May 2005, 20:46
What are you fellow June Coursers doing about accomodation down in Bournemouth?

Have you all booked up the decent B&B's?
Anyone got any recommendations?

Don't really wanna flatshare, cos I don't want to commit myself to a really long tenancy agreement!

Thanks for any help/advice!

Winter:O

italianjon
10th May 2005, 22:46
Any one know if you have to wait for your Medical certificate before allocated to a course.

I had heard a rumour that september people already know... anyone confirm?

I am wondering as I was hoping for the Sept course, so I could travel a bit before hand... Getting itchy feet at current employer - can;t wait to get a real job :ok:

I know I am far too late for June... Bloody Data protection act... Long story!!!

DI.Burnside
30th May 2005, 21:54
Found out last Thursday that I will be on the June Course (starting the 27th).

It's only been 27 months since I applied. Can't complain though just thrilled that it's all going to happen now.

Will be living in the Winton area of Bournemouth (have family down there) to start with. Have been advised by someone already on the course not to get a long term lease on a property due to not always being in Bournemouth during the course, you don't get the allowance if your not there i.e. holidays, placements, flying course.

Anybody know how may will be there to start in June?

See you all June starters soon

dingerc
31st May 2005, 12:50
I was told there will be around 30 of us on the course. I'm planning to take the car over from Belfast on Friday 24th as I'd like to check out my new surroundings for a few days before the induction week starts. If any other new starts will be in Bournemouth that weekend it would be good to meet up! I've no accommodation plans yet but from what I hear a guesthouse/B&B certainly sounds like the best option.

See you all very soon...

Billy Onions
31st May 2005, 16:14
Anyone for June got their formal offer yet? After all the horror stories I don't want to jack my job in just to be out on my :mad: and regretting it. OK, we've all sent the provisional back but anyone got the definite nod yet? - It's getting close and I could do with some time off before it all gets hectic.

Cheers

DI.Burnside
31st May 2005, 18:04
Received my contract on Saturday 28th May and was told it was a definite start on the 27th June by HR. Had to give a months notice to current employer (they have kindly let me have the last week as holiday) and landlord so it was all a bit of a mad rush. Shall be moving down early w/c 20th June.

Trevski248
2nd Jun 2005, 11:55
Hi, Am also starting on june 27th at 10am in southampton, applied in march 2003, and finally got a start date, they sent it to me with my contract on the 10th of may.

Am Really looking forward to starting, can't wait, look forward to meeting you all.:D

sla
2nd Jun 2005, 12:14
Have you received a proper contract then? I have had my terms and conditions, and sent back something saying yes I do want to start in June, but it's not a contract, and I've had no details from the college. It's really not that far away now (hurrah!).

Trevski248
2nd Jun 2005, 12:44
No, Sorry am getting carried away, not really a contract just the same terms that you received along with the letter to return confirming that i wish to start on the 27th, The letter promised joinging instructions direct from CATC but have not yet received any!!

I am also waiting for confirmation that I have security clearance, am not sure if i am told that i have passed or whether you would just be told if a problem arose!!

Any Ideas?

The excitement grows it was 4 weeks on Monday!!

ADIS5000
2nd Jun 2005, 13:51
Hi all, I also start 27th June. Have only received the same 'conditional' offer as everyone else.

SLA, For what it's worth, spoke to HR yesterday and they say that the College will be sending out the rest of our paperwork next week (don't know if that includes the final, formal contract / job offer though....doh!).

Trevski, I've definitely passed the security clearance but wasn't told until I asked. Therefore, I'd guess that no news is good news!

As with everyone else, just want to get started and am looking forward to meeting y'all.

Regards, ADIS

M4rch
3rd Jun 2005, 10:45
Hey people,

I'm in the same boat as you guys (June course). Probably the best and easiest way to converse would be through msn hotmail, private message me to exchange email address.

see ya

greig
3rd Jun 2005, 13:07
Hey folks,

I'm like everyone else, had terms out last month but still waiting for info from the college. We'll just have to wait and see what arrives in the post from CATC next week.

Just want to get down to Bournemouth and get started like everyone else!

G

Trevski248
3rd Jun 2005, 14:06
Hi all,

Hr Rang me earlier to confirm my security clearance, they also said that formal contracts were being sent out today and tomorow, so keep your eyes peeled on your letterbox.

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Jun 2005, 22:15
I started 20+ years ago and haven't signed a contract yet ... apart from the Official Secrets Act :O

bmb7jiw
5th Jun 2005, 16:44
Hi Guys,
Im on Area 1 at the moment, a few courses ahead of you. If your security clearance hasnt come through yet dont worry, they will still let you start, you will just have a temporary security pass until it comes through.
See you all at the end of the month!

bmb7jiw

finetime
9th Jun 2005, 12:56
Quick question for you guys all set to jump onto the June course:

I've recently been told that i've been 'penciled in' for the September course.

Now as I'm sure you all know, information is at a bit of a premium at this stage of the process. From the HR side it's all a little hush hush and hard to know exactly what is going on. So I thought I'd try and pick your brains as to what your experiences have been in the past month or so!

The kinda things I could do with knowing are:

- How much notice did they give you before telling you what course you were definitely on? I've got houses and jobs to quit so could do with as much as possible!

- How long prior to the start of the course did you receive all the info about the course, accomodation list, contract (do we even get one??)?

- Have all the people on the June course already been down to bournemouth to sort out accomodation etc? Any suggestions?

- Is there any paperwork that you have to fill out and return as you get close to the start date?

The reason i'm asking is that I was hoping to go on holiday for the best part of a month in august, the month before I start. But, I don't want to skip the country only to find on my return that i've missed or not completed some 'vital' piece of correspondence whilst i've been away. Could really do with getting everything sorted before the start of August. Am I being ridiculously naiive and hopeful?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Billy Onions
9th Jun 2005, 16:15
Well here's my twopenneth.

I'm due to start in June.

Found out in March.

Haven't had formal offer through.

Haven't had any college info through.

Haven't sorted accomodation out yet due to above.

Get conflicting information each time you chase HR about clearances/references/dates etc.

But I'm pretty sure if you ring them and let them know your plans they can sort something out regarding paperwork and stuff. Only thing I've signed was a provisional offer response and I got that sometime in April or May I think.

Still chuffed though - but it's a bit of a concern I suppose.

sla
9th Jun 2005, 16:52
I got my formal offer on Tuesday, dated Monday. It is pretty much the same letter as the provisional course date, except it states that it is a formal offer of employment. Still nothing from the college yet.

Finetime - none of us have had much formal notice time, but you may be luckier. The start date wasn't finalised until recently and the course structure has I believe been re-organised, so perhaps it will be easier for the good people at HR to sort out the September course.;)

I don't have any information about the course yet, but I'm watching the post every day.

I don't know what others are doing about accomodation, you could always start off B&Bing and then see where you are. The first week of the course is at a management centre with accom provided.

Can't wait to get started, not long now.:D

DI.Burnside
13th Jun 2005, 19:47
All is very good.

Recieved my formal contract (dated 6th June) and medical certs today, all have mistakes ie. spelling of name and D.O.B but at least they've arrived.

Has anyone recieved information from the college yet?

DI.Burnside

dingerc
14th Jun 2005, 13:39
Nope, still nothing for me either. Hopefully whatever information they're sending reaches me before I head off next Wednesday...

Will any of you be in Bournemouth the weekend before the induction week? And if so have you sorted out a B&B yet?

See you all VERY soon.
D

Trevski248
14th Jun 2005, 14:36
Hi, Still waiting for joining instructions to be sent through as well,
I live about 4 miles from bournemouth so will be about if anyone wants to meet up or see what's where?

greig
15th Jun 2005, 14:17
Hi everyone,

Just spoke to Graham Marshall at CATC and the joining instructions and info pack are being posted tonight so should be through our doors on Friday. The reason given for delay was staff illness and changes to info due to the new course structure! Just hope everything is sorted out for us starting!
See everyone in 10 days!

gyroman
16th Jun 2005, 01:11
Hi All, I too live in Bournemouth if anyone is around on Saturday before we head off to our live-in induction week on Sunday and wants to meet up, leave details or PM me.
See you all soon

Trevski248
17th Jun 2005, 08:39
Morning All.

Hurrah, Have this morning finally received my joining instructions, it is starting to feel REAL now.

Billy Onions
17th Jun 2005, 09:03
Aye, me an' all - it's actually going to happen. See you all on Sunday night then I guess.

"Change for dinner" - my word, what's that all about?

See you soon chaps & chapesses

Trevski248
17th Jun 2005, 09:13
If anyone from the bournemouth area, wants a lift to Southampton on sun Afternoon, then let me know!!

I know some people are car sharing already.

sla
17th Jun 2005, 11:21
What time's everyone going to get there then? It seems so strange after all this waiting that it's really going to happen. And we've even got some stuff to get learning now. Fantastic! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in 9 days.:)

ADIS5000
17th Jun 2005, 17:42
Evening all,

Agreed, "change for dinner" came as a bit of a surprise!!

As an opening gambit - in the bar at 7pm on the Sunday evening then?

Regards, ADIS

DI.Burnside
17th Jun 2005, 18:55
Recieved my info today as well.

7pm Sunday in the bar sounds good

Check out the following web site for info regarding the venue

http://www.initialstyle.co.uk/

rather posh so hence probably the need to change for dinner

See you all there

DI.Burnside

Taffy1
19th Jun 2005, 22:06
I am due to start at CATC in sept, just wondering if anyone has heard if this course will now start at end of sept/begining oct due to the june course being a few weeks late starting.
Need to start sorting out a holiday before we start and obviously handing in my notice for current job!!!

Taffy1.

finetime
22nd Jun 2005, 09:39
In response to Taffy: I've recently been told to expect a start towards the end of September. They can't provide an exact date as yet but were definitely hinting towards the last week or so of the month!

A quick question of my own:

After reading various threads on here, i'd got the impression that it wasn't a good idea to commit to renting a house/flat whilst in bournemouth due to the uncertainty of exactly how long you will be there during your training. Hence you could end up committing yourself to a 6 or 12 month contract only to find that for half of it you won't actually be in Bournemouth. There was various talk about living in B&B's etc.

Having just spoken to HR they, on the otherhand, informed me that it is adviseable to sort out rented accommodation in Bournemouth before you arrive. Hence my dilema!!

What have all you guys on the June course done? Have you all signed contracts on houses/flats? Have any of you got together and arranged shared houses?
Does anyone know of any good letting agents etc or decent areas to rent in?

I'm a little confused by this whole affair and could do with a bit of advice from those who have just, or recently, gone through this!

Cheers

:confused:

vector801
22nd Jun 2005, 10:58
Hey Taffy1 & Finetime,

I too am due to start in Sept. I'm in the same dilemma as you both with regards to housing. If I had a choice I think I would prefer to rent than B&B it.

I live in the Midlands so it's going to be a fair trek for me. Really wanted a confirmed date before I commit to deciding where I'm going to be holding up.

Let me know if you both hear of any new news or if you both decide anything.

Regards, V801

DI.Burnside
22nd Jun 2005, 10:59
Hi

I'm spending the first few weeks with family in bournemouth and then probably in to a B&B.

The info we got from the college said that rented accommodation IS NOT advisable as and I quote 'training courses and locations are subject to change ........... please think very carefully before entering into any fixed period contract'.

The college supplies you with an accommodation list before you start so I wouldn't worry about finding anywhere quite yet.

DI.Burnside

VectorLine
22nd Jun 2005, 11:11
I take it the induction week is at 'New Place' this time?

Decent enough place. Nice food, pool (although I know someone who got gastroenteritis after swimming there!), gym, and running trail through the woods.

Downside is, because it isn't a hotel, the bar doesn't stay open as long as you want to drink. 2300 drinking up time.

'Change for dinner' is for 2 reasons.

1 - you will be hot and sweaty and maybe dirty too.
2 - Graham Marshal is an ex military chap. Likes to run these things like a RMPRC. Watch out for the ceeegars and Churchill quotations!

Enjoy the week and good luck at Bournemouth

VL

finetime
23rd Jun 2005, 08:27
Hey V801

I'm a Midlands (Birmingham) boy myself. So am in a similar predicament in terms of accommodation.

I'd much rather rent somewhere; it'd feel alot better if I actually had a place of my own rather than living out of a B&B.

The rumblings that i'd heard of late were that the course structure had been changed recently so that you pretty much get all of the college based stuff out of the way in one go, before then being posted to your unit to do all the OJT stuff.

So, I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 54, but, this should hopefully make it possible to rent somewhere.

I'm planning to go down to Bournemouth in the next few weeks anyway just to scope the place out and see what the options are.

dannyo
30th Jun 2005, 20:02
The rumblings that i'd heard of late were that the course structure had been changed recently so that you pretty much get all of the college based stuff out of the way in one go, before then being posted to your unit to do all the OJT stuff.

You may be getting out of the college a little quicker than the folk who are there at the minute but you are still going to be there for 9 months or so. NB. this is likely to be a MINIMUM due re-courses, holding, further changes to course structure.

Until you get through the early stages of the training you are well advised to stay in some form of short term accom. Guest Houses on Westby Rd. are a good place to start.

You are starting at the tail end of the year so you may be able to pick up an off-season holiday let if you are that hell bent on renting.

Never assume anything;)

rafalbert
8th Jul 2005, 10:43
Hi all,

am due to start the course on 5th September, and am still waiting to hear anything but reading the other posts this seems normal. Am 32 and in the RAF as an assistant controller, thought it was about time to run away and start playing back in the real world. This lack of communication does bother me somewhat, as the end of my RAF career looms on the ever nearing horizon, and I have nothing in writing to confirm what is going on. Does anyone else get worried by this, or am I the only one?

Dave