I don't suppose anyone has an ATC simulator/
game suitable for a PC.
I understand a "game" called "Tower" was
once available.

CHEERS !

U R NumberOne
10th May 2000, 21:25
From one sad muppet to another...

Although I'm not sad enough to have a copy of this, there is a game called Air Traffic Control Centre by Xavius Software in the US. Try Javiation's web site www.javiation.co.uk (http://www.javiation.co.uk) and follow the links.

For those that know me - I repeat I don't have a copy of this http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

InspectorGadget
10th May 2000, 23:45
Guys....that is the sadest thing I have EVER heard. You should be ashamed of yourself. I am embarrassed to be an ATCO. What would your parents say? What would yr colleagues say? I am speechless. I think I will resign tomorrow.

P.S. I have an area sim based in LA. Is pretty good.......can send you it as a Zip file if you wish.

Boy am I pleased that this is anonymous!

Please don't tell anyone if you know me.

IG

Bagheera
11th May 2000, 09:49
Not available yet for the PC...but had a go at a training tool last year in which you could talk to the aircraft (using your monotonous voice) and they would respond on a radar screen..Believe it was sponsored by GATCO..Not seen anything since.
ps...tried "Avoiding Action NATS privatisation in your 12 oclock"...No-one took any notice...so obviously quite realistic then!

foghorn
11th May 2000, 12:49
Try
www.satco.org (http://www.satco.org)

or their uk branch
www.satuk.org.uk (http://www.satuk.org.uk)

This is a real-time ATC simulation network which brings together Controllers (via the 'ProController' software) and Pilots (via the 'Squawkbox' plug-in to Microsoft Flight Simulator 98/2000).

ATC-Pilot communication is either by text or often by voice using 'Roger Wilco' RT simulator software, and the experience is very realistic.

All the software required to take part is free (except for MS Flight Simultator for pilots), it's great fun and the aim of the guys involved is to stick as close to real world practice as is possible. And just like in the real world the London-based controllers are considered amongst the most professional in the world. There are even a few real-life LATCC controllers and professional pilots involved for whom it must be a bit of busman's holiday.

A few weeks ago the virtual London ACC had a 4-hour fly-in with 22 controllers online in the London TMA / London Airports, c. 400 flights through the London ACC and EGLL achieving 40 landings per hour.

You'll often find me on there controlling as Thames Radar 132.7, or flying as BRT7617 (J41) or BAW907U (B752), as a bit of fun in between real-life ATPL studies...

NudgingSteel
11th May 2000, 12:51
You're quite correct about the sim called 'Tower'. I don't know who did it or where you'd pick up a copy, but it looked superb with great photo-real backgrounds. Runs on a slow PC too. Bit tricky though, and I could usually only last about 5 minutes before having some serious incident or three!
PS Bagheera - who needs a sim for excitement when (in the old days) you could be working a Saturday using all the runways!!

waco
11th May 2000, 16:03
Thanks very much to one and all.
As an ops guy with a large charter carrier
maybe I should come and watch you guys
control some real traffic !
Cheers

InspectorGadget
11th May 2000, 18:58
....or even become an ATCO!!!

I used to work in Ops and I enjoyed it - but you'd enjoy this a whole lot more!

IG

halo
13th May 2000, 00:11
The program was called TOWER and was made by a company called BAO. I used to have a copy of it but I lost it when I got a new PC. I've searched loads of websites for it but the company don't seem to exist anymore

waco
14th May 2000, 12:59
IG

Love to ........
Alas old man at 38

InspectorGadget
14th May 2000, 17:09
Waco - it's never too late to make the change!!

Are you with SITA or an airline?

Anytime you want to arrange to come and visit just mail me.

IG

scran
15th May 2000, 04:18
There was also a game (actually 2) released over 10 years ago, the first was RAPCON, the second TRACON. These were based on the US system of ATC.

RAPCON was mostly (all)military aircraft at several locations in the US, such as Pensacola, Edwards, San Diego (Mirimar etc), and also featured an Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) option.

TRACON was a later release (I believe) that was based on Civil aircraft and locations (such as Washington, LA etc).

Both were relatively easy to use, and you could select the weather level, pilot ability (sorry guys!) and traffic rate prior to starting the Sim.

If you wanted to get into it, you could also design your own airspace etc and run that using data from the Sim. We actually did this for a Military field I worked at here in Oz. Was not bad, considering it was running on a 286 machine.

Scran

Bigears
20th May 2000, 14:43
Try this link: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/louisbreda/english.htm - it will lead you to an excellent European En-route Simulator

acpo
21st May 2000, 00:53
There is a new sim based on TRACON due out soon called ATC2000.

Check 'www.pcaviator.com/atc2000'