PDA

View Full Version : Flying the sim @ LATCC

SkidSolo
9th May 2000, 17:07
Not to sure about this hence the posting but I heard of a chap who got a job at LATCC flying some kind of sim for trainee controllers.

Does such a posting exist? The reason I ask is that I've just finished at OATS and would just like to keep my hand in if its worth it.

Much obliged.

SS

U R NumberOne
9th May 2000, 22:24
Skid Solo,

Sorry to disappoint, but I imagine the phrase "flying" the sim is a bit misleading. What usually happens is a team of input staff move the aircraft on the mock radar displays and act as pilots and other controllers on the simulated RT and telephone kit. Nothing really to do with flying, but if you just want to pretend you're a pilot whilst waiting for the real thing to come along, it may be a possibility.

Mr. Chips may be along soon as I understand he is best placed to offer some advice or info on the LATCC sim.

need to know
10th May 2000, 00:47
Had a friend who did that job in a Centre in Europe for a few years. From what he said, probably not the best place to start if interested in a flying career, but interesting all the same in seeing how things are done from that side.

------------------
And that's what I think about that.

Mr Chips
10th May 2000, 01:01
I'm here!!

Funnily enough, i am training some sim operators (ACPOs, blip drivers, pseudo pilot - take your pic) all this week. We do take staff on to do this, and all of the current course are pilots (one frozen ATPL, 2 cpl, 2 ppl - hello boys!!). If you want more info, e-mail me and i will be only too happy to help. The closest we get to "flying" the sim is flightsim on a really good pc in one of our classrooms!

acpo
10th May 2000, 21:12
I did this job at Manchester Airport, has nothing to do with flying (the radar screen is controlled via a key-board) but you do need to know alot of ATC procedures.
I got the job when I failed the SATCO course at CATC in Bournemouth, as did two of my four collegues at Manchester.
Its quite interesting and good fun until you get fed-up doing it - which you will.

niteflite01
11th May 2000, 22:40
Just to add to what everyone else has said on this subject so far......

If you're looking for a career in the cockpit it's nothing like what you imagine a simulator to be like. No long hydraulic legs or pretty graphics. Just a green (or if you're at a posh centre - coloured) screen and a really awfully laid out keyboard on which you input commands that get the blips to climb, descend, re-route etc etc. You get the idea.

I would say however that the ACPO jobs provide a useful insight into ATC that could be invaluable during a flying career. You are required to know airspace procedures like the back of your hand and you will really appreciate things from an ATC point of view. Its also obviously better than doing a non-aerospace related job so why not??!! It would look quite good on a CV if no flying jobs were available in the meantime.

Cheers!

Oh, by the way, the money is quite good too :)

beamwidth
12th May 2000, 06:17
hey , need to know .....

didn't i meet your friend in tilberg , holland , circa 1994 - i believe so - whatever happened to that bloke - such a nice guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
so long and thanks for all the fish