PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a beacon on a Cessna 150

Romeo Romeo
10th Jan 2005, 12:05
I'm thinking of replacing the occulting beacon on our Cessna 150 for a strobe-type beacon. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much of the work I would be able to do myself as a PPL and how much would have to be done by a licensed engineer?

mainwheel
10th Jan 2005, 13:33
Whats that adage....."if you have to ask......

effortless
10th Jan 2005, 13:42
No it's a fair question as long as he is asking about the legality. As far as I remember some maintenance including replacing bulbs, plugs etc. is permitted but I believe that replacing one type of fitment with another may need a licenced fitter. I havent time to look up airlaw but it will be in your copy.

Romeo Romeo
10th Jan 2005, 14:41
It was a question on the legality. I'll have a rummage around in the air law and see what it says. Thanks for that.

Hoof-Arted
11th Jan 2005, 17:16
Yes, you will need to have a licenced engineer certify the replacement, also if you are changing the type of beacon , unless
the aircrafts illustrated parts catalogue shows the type of new one you want to fit, you will have to raise a minor mod with the CAA, a licenced engineer will be able to do this for you it costs £75.00 fee to the CAA. Be very careful with this Pilot maintenance
you could get yourself into all sorts of trouble .