PDA

View Full Version : ATC's "casting couch"?

get'em to heaven & back
4th Sep 2000, 07:43
Divergance from thread on "standard of trainees".

Agree with identnospeed (previous thread)- enthusiasm on the part of the u/t should be almost a pre-requisite. However there is a limit to what they should have to do to demonstrate their keenness. Several of my acquaintances are aware of dubious, verging on illegal practices surrounding 6-weekers. CATC are also aware but seem to have turned a blind eye. Unwilling to go into detail, I wonder if any ex 6-weekers would care to comment on their experiences, or maybe some of the fully valid among you have first hand experience. And if you are a CATC person who has an inkling of what I might be talking about, why do you not address the issue?

Spotter
4th Sep 2000, 21:52
Mmm this sounds like top quality goss. Come on let's have some more detail. Are you really saying what I think you are?

get'em to heaven & back
4th Sep 2000, 23:07
spotter, sorry, I'm probably not saying what you're thinking- it's just that some trainees would appear to be asked to do things that they are not legally able to do. What you're thinking, I reckon, is legal if unprofessional. the thread title is more to do with "how to get ahead" as opposed "how to get head". I realise I'm being a bit vague here but the specifics are a little too explosive- just wondering if any-one knows of trainees being talked into stuff that they shouldn't be asked to do?

OrsonCart
4th Sep 2000, 23:19
If life within NATS has stooped to this, what on earth can the future bring!

Hopefully our proud friend is wrong, but if he is not, what the hell is going on in Bournemouth?

I see three Rover production line mangers have been sacked for requiring bribes ahead of signing voluntary redundancy forms. So maybe bribary is rife witin traditional areas of British working life. So is ATC one of them?

Bright-Ling
5th Sep 2000, 12:25
Get'em......

Can we have some more clues??? 'Tis very unfair to just dangle a carrot.

Perhaps a clue as to timescales etc?

get'em to heaven & back
5th Sep 2000, 13:59
Ok, would anyone care to provide a definition for "long-leading" and suggest the limit of responsibility for an operational position held by a non-valid, usually student, controller with extremely limited experience? I'm afraid if those clues aren't enough the thread will have to die a slow death. I know that there are many ATCos & students around the country who are aware of this issue, it's a question of do they recognise it?

T-guy
9th Sep 2000, 16:43
Wow! I haven't heard of this happening but it sounds exciting.

Bright-Ling
9th Sep 2000, 20:54
Ohhhh....GOTCHA!!

Well, I was long-leaded during my OJT. (Due fag break!!!!!!)

"G-xxxx standby for start whilst my mentor finishes his ciggie" (or words to that effect!)

It felt nice to be trusted, but looking back it was extremely unprofessional.

get'em to heaven & back
9th Sep 2000, 21:45
Bright-ling:- care to tell us where you where? Judging by the numerous people who I'm aware of I'm pretty sure I know. What do you think should be done, if anything?

Bright-Ling
10th Sep 2000, 03:21
Sorry get'em....ain't no way that I can reveal who my mentor was on that day!

He (or She) has just applied for a job with SRG I'm told.

I'll keep that to myself, just in case I am in the poo one day with the said offender!!

I will tell you though that it was in the 90's!!!!!!!