PDA

View Full Version : Heading South

armac
10th Jan 2005, 04:43
As a female Canadain/EU resident, but Canadain Multi IFR'd pilot with an Islander PPC, is going and knocking on companies door in Carribean or Central America a good idea? I am thinking of doing in the next year and i am just wondering what time of year is the best time to go? , and what countries/operators would you reccomend?
Thanks for the tips!

fougapilot
10th Jan 2005, 12:30
Armac,

I am not talking from personal experience as I went north.

Is going south a good idea? It all depends on what you want to do for a living. If you want to built time and then come back to fly in Canada, it may not be the best plan. The logic is quite simple; Weather. Down south the weather is easier to work with then up here. The reality is simple, wether your plan is to fly for the airlines, charter, or corporate the sooner you learn to live with the Canadian winter the better. The second part to my ligic is most of the people who will help you getting a good job in life you will meet at the lower level of aviation. Contacts are everything in our business.

On the other hand, if your life plan is to spend time flying VFR in a tropical paradise, go for it. Personally I know where I will retire… Roratonga, flying tourists…. But for now, winter is here and I have to go fly.

Hope this helps,

Dan

armac
10th Jan 2005, 15:40
I totally agree with this. I have many great connections in Canada, and have done alot of IFR flying. I just feel the need to change things up and see a bit of the world at the same time while i am young and unattached and instead of just 'traveling' and not flying at all, i am hoping to do both. I am just looking at my options at this moment, nothing is concrete.