PDA

View Full Version : AIP amendment # ?

McDoo the Irish Navigator
10th Jan 2005, 04:24
Fellow airmen;

It has just occured to me that after moving across town last fall, I failed to inform the feds of my new address.
I think my last AIP amendment might have gone astray.
The last amendment I have is 4/04 dated Sept. 30th 2004.
Can anyone tell me if one has been issued since?

McDoo

Canadian Beech
10th Jan 2005, 04:51
Just got one in the last 3 weeks... has the new Std Pax wts in the RAC section.:ok:

CD
10th Jan 2005, 11:37
Amendment 1/05 arrived for me last week. The effective date on it is January 20th, 2005.

You can update your address online at the following link:

Change of Address for Aeronautical Publications (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/communications/centre/address.asp)

ODGUY
11th Jan 2005, 22:09
I wouldn't bother amending the address, the AIP will only be available online in a few months. I'm sure if they will still mail out the ASL (aviation safety letter).

JoeCo
16th Jan 2005, 05:49
First time i have heard of the AIP ammendments being phased out and TC going to a full online version. When was this announced? When is this scheduled to happen? IMO, I don't mind having access to an online version but I am not in favor of eliminating the paper version.

Joe

ODGUY
16th Jan 2005, 11:49
AIP - English (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/AIP/pdf.htm )

AIP - Francais (http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviationcivile/Servreg/Affaires/AIP/pdf.htm)

critter
16th Jan 2005, 12:10
I copied this from the TC website. I hope it helps

A.I.P. Canada

Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM) to Replace A.I.P. Canada

Over the past couple of years, Transport Canada has been examining ways of improving how information services are being provided to the flying community. As a result, we will be introducing a number of improvements over the next year. We have now posted the A.I.P. Canada (AIP) on the Transport Canada Web site in a downloadable (PDF) format; however, this is only a temporary measure, as the AIP will be phased out and replaced by a new publication starting in October 2005. In order to prepare for the introduction of the new aeronautical publication, called the TC AIM, the last amendment to the paper version of the AIP will be amendment 02/05, dated April 14, 2005.

The TC AIM will contain most of the same aeronautical information that is currently contained in the AIP, albeit in a different format. It will be published in an 8½ in. X 11 in. bound format and will be published every six months. Graphics and font size will be larger, and there will no longer be a need to insert amendments to keep your publication up to date. The paper version of the TC AIM will be provided free of charge for the first year to all who qualify to receive the AIP; but after the first two editions, it will be available as a subscription for a small fee. More details on subscriptions will be available at a later date.

NAV CANADA will also be introducing a new State aeronautical information publication, called the AIP Canada (ICAO). This new publication will be different from the current AIP, as it will be an ICAO-compliant publication intended primarily to satisfy international requirements. It will be available on the NAV CANADA Web site as a downloadable product as of October 27, 2005.

Supplements and aeronautical information circulars (AIC) currently available in the paper version of the AIP, and on the Transport Canada Web site, will also be available on the NAV CANADA Web site starting July 7, 2005. However, they will not be included in the paper version of the TC AIM.

These changes incorporate many suggestions received over the past few years from the flying community, and Transport Canada appreciates all of the constructive suggestions that have been made over the years.

JoeCo
16th Jan 2005, 15:24
"These changes incorporate many suggestions received over the past few years from the flying community, ............"

I can't believe that the flying community would have suggested to implement a service that ".........will be available as a subscription for a small fee".

Typical Transport Canada. Why fix something that is broken when you can **** something that is not.

Rosbif
17th Jan 2005, 13:17
As I remember it, when TC started with the "pilot tax" idea (the fee required to "process" your medical), the excuse used for putting their hands in our pockets was that the fee was to cover AIP amendments.
If we can now look at the AIP on the internet in its most current and updated form, hopefully without having to pay, will the "tax" be revoked ?
Surely this is one of the best uses of the internet, and a much beter way to ensure that all of us have current information.

Is this issue about safety (current information), or taxation?

How many people really keep their AIP up to date? (Here we go -- incoming !)

eight iron special
17th Jan 2005, 15:42
I like the idea of following the US example.....

Canadian Beech
19th Jan 2005, 18:11
Joe Co... it was in the last amendment ;) There's some really good stuff in there, but you have to read it.

Luftwaffle
23rd Jan 2005, 06:20
You bet, Rosbif.

I update it, initial the update record and read every page. Except, I admit for the trans-Atlantic tracks. I promise I'll read those bits as soon as I get a jet job. :)

TheOddOne
23rd Jan 2005, 08:24
I'm amazed our transatlantic cousins are lagging so far behind. We've had the UK AIP available on-line for a couple of years. I believe that the paper edition is still available but at over £300 sterling PA when you can access on-line for no end-user fee it's silly to keep the subscription up. At work, I oftern have the access minimised for quick reference during the day and for personal use it's just as easy to look up info as it is in a paper flight guide.

The UK CAA makes most of its publications available on-line - saves me having to go to our work library to look things up and all our staff have access to the latest amendments for everything. No more telling-ff from the SRG inspectors for having out-of-date paperwork. Nice to say our CAA get something right!

Cheers,
TOO

CD
23rd Jan 2005, 17:46
TheOddOne...

I believe that there is a slight misunderstanding of terms. The Canadian AIP is more closely related to your UK AIM (and ours is changing to an AIM this fall).

That being said, it has taken a long time for the document to be added in an electronic format and I hope that the "new" AIM will be available on the web as well.

Is the UK AIM available online? I have only been able to locate retailers that sell hard copies for £16.95, such as AFE:

AFE Flight Information Guides (http://www.afeonline.com/afeshop/enter.html?lang=en-uk&target=d116.html)

Aside from the AIP, almost all publications here are also available online:

Canadian Aviation Regulations (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/Affairs/cars/menu.htm)

Transport Canada's Publication Storefront (http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?a=b)

Now, if they could just come up with a half-decent search engine so that you could actually find what you're looking for on the site TC site...:hmm:

MLS-12D
24th Jan 2005, 20:51
How many people really keep their AIP up to date?I do. But The only time I ever look at the AIP is when I incorporate the amendments. The rest of the time, it just sits on the shelf. :hmm:

As soon as I receive an amendment package, I insert the amendments and throw out the old stuff. However, this is mere force of habit, and has nothing to do with any belief that an unamended ('out of date') AIP is unreliable. The vast majority of revisions are stylistic (e.g., one paragraph is divided into two, or vice versa).

As far as I can see, the endless revisions are simply a make-work project for one or two TC employees, and have nothing to do with safety. :suspect: