PDA

View Full Version : Calling out the AFRS

Smoozesailing
9th Jan 2005, 13:17
Hey all,

Was wondering about this... Under what circumstances do controllers call out the firemen? Do pilots have to request it or are there circumstances that it becomes automatic?

I ask this because one of my instructors said that the AFRS are notified the moment an aircraft aborts its takeoff.

Are there international standards or is it on a country/unit policy?

Thank you for your help.

Squadgy
9th Jan 2005, 19:58
Smoozesailing.

I'm a FISO, rather than an ATCO, but I'm sure the same will apply.

Air Traffic can initiate various levels of emergency at our own discretion - it dosen't require a 'Mayday' or 'Pan' call from the subject aircraft. Part of our training involves recoginsing emergency situations and initiating the relevant level of response. The severity of the emergency decided upon will depend on what level of RFFS turnout is provided (e.g. airfield fire service (AFS) or AFS and County. It's sometimes the case that emergencys which start out as just requiring the airfield fire crew will be upgraded so that the external services are also called in.

Obviously if a pilot declares a 'Mayday' or 'Pan' then it leaves the ATCO/ FISO in no doubt that there is an issue with the flight, in addition aircraft in an emergency and declared as such are afforded priority over all other traffic.

The varies levels of emergency (ranging from Weather Standby to Aircraft Accident are defined in CAP410 PArt B here :

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP410__PartB.pdf

With reference to an aborted take off (and casting my mind back to when I did my FISO exams about 6 years ago, because i don't handle many turbine aircraft other than helicopters), a runway has to be inspected if a turbine aircraft aborts a take off because of an issue with an engine, as well as if any aircraft bursts a tyre on the runway - this task at our unit would fall to the RFFS. It may be where you are flying that local instructions require the RFFS to be called to all aborted takeoffs for some reason though.

SevernTMA
9th Jan 2005, 20:04
If an aircraft aborts a take-off then the runway must be inspected before the next movement. The AFRS are often responsable at many airports for this function.

I worked in a tower once where the engineers on the floor below were allowed to smoke!!! Yes you guessed it...one day there was a fire, which was started in a waste bin after a cigarette was carelessly disgarded. No it wasn't in the 50's it was a couple of years ago....no names mentioned. The AFRS were called out then too!

Jerricho
9th Jan 2005, 20:16
Not really an ATC thing, but aren't there requirements for the fire-guys to be present during certain refueling situations with pax on board and alike?

Spitoon
10th Jan 2005, 05:44
I think most of the eplies you are getting are UK-orientated. I'm not sure how things work in other States.

In the UK, there are six standard levels of emergency declared by either the controller, FISO or Senior Fire Officer. Although there are some fairly firm guidelines on when each category of emergency should be declared it is largely down to the people on the spot in many cases.

With respect to your specific question, I've worked at one airport where a surface inspection (not done by RFFS) was required after any rejected take-off whilst at another there was no requirement but at the discretion of the controller.

vector4fun
10th Jan 2005, 08:39
We'll call them any time we think it prudent to do so, whether the crew asks or not.

They will also provide fireguard for re-fuelling with pax on board, fuel-oil spills, etc.; but most often the operator coordinates through airport ops for these chores. Airport Ops does any airfield inspections for debris or fluids.

(U.S.)

LateLandingClearance
10th Jan 2005, 20:30
Under what circumstances do controllers call out the firemen?
Agree entirely with vector, if we feel there's something that ain't right, whether the crew have made us aware or not, we can call the AFS out. There are also specifics laid out in local instructions to state that certain issues with an aircraft must be reacted to with a certain call-out. For example, any hydraulic problems reported means minimum call-out of "Full Emergency" standard.
Do pilots have to request it or are there circumstances that it becomes automatic?
By all means request AFS attendance if you want to be certain, but the best way to ensure that you have the attention of all the necessary people is to be totally honest with the controller that you're talking to.

It's not an uncommon event for the crew to be somewhat cagey about what the problems are unless really pushed to 'come-clean'. Possibly this is down to the press publicity that may be meeting them on arrival following them announcing to anyone listening to an airband that they have a problem (but that's another issue altogether!!) Another tip, when you are trying to pass on the problem, as best as possible, try and keep the explanation in laymans terms (not always easy, granted!). More than once the response to my "what's the problem" question (so I can make an accurate call on the level of AFS call-out), has been "we've had an EICAS warning of the whatjacallit valve in the standby flibberdygibbet" :uhoh: when "aircon problem" would suffice!! :D

I'm not joking sir
10th Jan 2005, 21:08
"we've had an EICAS warning of the whatjacallit valve in the standby flibberdygibbet" when "aircon problem" would suffice!!

Or just say that your plane has no falangee. :)

Gonzo
10th Jan 2005, 21:31
Just make sure they have spares for the next flight!

ILS 119.5
10th Jan 2005, 21:43
The AFS is not normally called out due to an aborted take off unless the controller thinks it is necessary or the pilot requests it. There are emergency procedures which require a mandatory call out such as Aircraft Accident, Aircraft Fire, Local Standby etc. The AFS do have to be present for refuelling with pax on board but this is very rare. The AFS are not always responsible for carrying out runway inspections, it mabe airside ops or ATC depending on local instructions and also who is trained to do so.
Rgds
ILS 119.5

Dan Dare
11th Jan 2005, 11:00
Hot brakes from high speed abort could require AFFS attendance, but I have not yet seen one.

av8boy
14th Jan 2005, 05:53
Hot brakes from high speed abort could require AFFS attendance, but I have not yet seen one.
I have! The abort happened and something looked not-quite-right, so I took a closer look through the binos which gave me a nice, clear look at the glowing brakes at a distance of 4000 feet or so. Agreed... I've only been doing this for about 25 years, but that's the only time I've seen glowing brakes on an abort. I've seen them before and since on taxi tests, but never on an aborted takeoff. So I thought, "what the heck. Let's have the nice ARFF folks have a look."

pipertommy
16th Jan 2005, 13:08
I would recommend calling the afrs for "hot wheels"!This may seem an over kill to some people,but an increase in temperature when parked on stand could cause the hub to explode!With the high pressure associated with this,damage could occur to fuel tanks or hydraulic lines ect.High fire risk!Even the poor dis-embarking paxs are in a direct line to any danger.Call us out if you feel that a level of risk is present.Some pilots ask for our blues to be switched off on arrival as not to alert the paxs no problem.Afrs is here to help,so do not hesitate:O

av8boy
17th Jan 2005, 05:48
Agreed! In fact, I've never had occasion to feel any other way!