PDA

View Full Version : Post accident / incident - what would you do?

Mo Heekan
9th Jan 2005, 12:23
Hi all,

I was thinking the other day about what actions one should take if you were (unfortunately) involved in an incident or accident that grounded the aircraft. Its a morbid thought, but how would you best protect your rights, yourselves and your crew from the management hounds, press and everyone else that always 'seem' to want to blame it on 'Pilot error'?

For example, would you immediately ask to be seen by a Dr and get a sick note for time off duties?

What would you do about answering questions without a lawyer present?

Would you let the Company 'coerce' you back into the sim immediately upon your return home?

Would you answer Management questions without a solicitor present?

Stuff like this please. Maybe BALPA has guide lines on this topic.

Where I live there is ZERO top cover for Pilots, so I'd appreciate your 'constructive' thoughts on the matter please.

kind regards

Mo

Edited: due SP :(

Rhodie
9th Jan 2005, 12:35
Admit nothing.

Deny everything.

Demand proof.

and when all else fails:

Accuse someone else.

:E

fireflybob
10th Jan 2005, 01:14
BALPA certainly have guidelines on this - I think they even have an insert to go in one's licence with suitable advice etc in the event of an incident and, I believe, that in previous accidents they have acted very quickly to get a BALPA rep on scene to assist - especially useful when overseas in countries with different attitudes as to how to deal with such matters.

Suggest you contact BALPA - assuming you are a member?!

Mo Heekan
10th Jan 2005, 08:47
Thanks for the reply Fireflybob. I'm not a member of Balpa as I don't think they cover the Middle East. If you can remember their advice though, I'd apprciate it.... :)

Daysleeper
10th Jan 2005, 09:07
check your PM's mo

Mo Heekan
11th Jan 2005, 09:14
Thanks DS :)

I've pm'd as well. Good advice and much appreciated

Mo