PDA

View Full Version : ATC info

AP
1st May 2000, 01:51
Hi,
I am currently 17 and am doing A levels in Maths,Physics and computing, I would like to know what the entry requirements are and what the salary is and also what the job is like being an ATC as i am seriously considering it.
feel free to E-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks!

halo
3rd May 2000, 21:58
As far as a career in ATC goes then it is singularly the greatest challenge that U will ever experience. Not only is it very difficult to get into, but it is even more difficult to keep!!
After you've got through the selection procedure you have to endure either a year (for tower/approach) or a year and a half (for Area) at the College Of Air Traffic Control in Bournemouth. This is without a doubt the most bit of the training simply because it is very easy to fail something and get chopped from the course. On the other side of things, its also great fun and you will meet loads of fantastic people!! If you are planning on going for it then my advice to you would be to make sure that you REALLY want to do it, because the people who are half-hearted about it are normally the first people to get chopped!! Following the college you get posted to a unit to start your validation training. This can take anything from 3 months to a year depending on where you go, and requires a severe amount of commitment. BUT, at the end of it you get your licence to practice your art in a solo environment. This is without a doubt the best part. It means that you work a 10 day cycle, 6 on and 4 off which is great if you ever plan on taking short breaks to places further afield.

If you want any further information then please feel free to e-mail me at the above address

I hope it all goes well
Halo

U R NumberOne
4th May 2000, 00:21
Halo is right about the selection and the course - tough but really worth it. The only think that isn't strictly correct is not every NATS unit works a 6 on - 4 off five watch roster system. We do 4 on - 2 off which means your days off come round quicker :) but it is difficult to get anywhere and back with just two days off compared to four http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif . This suits some staff, but is a big problem for others so a five watch system is being looked at.

As far as entry qualifications we look for 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above which must include English and Maths, and for you to have studied, but not necessarily passed 2 A-levels. Although these criteria aren't too high, the selection tests and interviews are designed to let us see if you have what it takes to be an ATCO.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by U R NumberOne (edited 03 May 2000).]

NATS Hopeful
4th May 2000, 15:14
I am 18 and doing my final year of A-Levels. I am studying Maths, Physics and Geography.
I have already applied to NATS for an ATCO position and have got past the first stage selection tests recently. I now have the interview stage in a couple of weeks.
The best advice that I can give you, if you are really interested in ATC, is to go to a NATS unit (such as LATCC in West Drayton) on some Work Experience. I have now been there twice myself and this will stand you in good stead with your application.
If you want to know more you can E-Mail me.

Good luck in whatever you do.

[This message has been edited by NATS Hopeful (edited 04 May 2000).]

TinPusher
8th May 2000, 15:13
AP and Nats Hopeful

Have a look at a thread in Dunnunda and Godzone....have you considered emigrating??
We are always short staffed and whilst we have our fair share of Poms, Zim's Sth Africans, Yanks and Canadians and even a pet Scotsman...you would be more than welcome

aluminium persuader
9th May 2000, 03:24
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but... there is always SERCo. Not quite as structured as NATS, but more willing to give marks for enthusiasm and hard work. It's possible to join at any level from assistant upwards. If you have the aptitude you can be sponsored thru ATCO courses at Bailbrook (in Bath, Avon), and the beauty is that there is no requirement to do all courses back-to-back. I know several people who've gone down that route, some going all the way thru, some who've done a course and the spent some time in the real world b4 doing the next, and some who are quite happy as twr-only.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that SERCo are where the sun shines... some would say they're not nice at all. However-
1. It's another, very viable option, and
2. It can be a real eye-opener to see something other than an ex-ministry at work (how many people have controlled a VFR Concorde?)
3. NATS don't have overseas postings.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
Once more unto the breach, Dear Friends...

d_boxman
10th May 2000, 05:40
"aluminium persuader" I presume that you are working in SERCO if so is John Hooper still with SERCO in Bath ?

I was on course 8813 in '89 and he was our course leader.Very nice chap ,helped me a lot.

Bye,

DB

aluminium persuader
12th May 2000, 03:31
You might say that...I couldn't possibly comment!
I think JH is still there, wouldn't swear, though.

------------------
Once more unto the breach, Dear Friends...