View Full Version : Absolute Altitude by Martin Buckley

MLS-12D
7th Jan 2005, 22:20
Just wondering whether anyone has read this book, and if so what you thought of it. The reviews (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091800730/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2_cp/202-1793697-5463814) on Amazon seem to be somewhat mixed ... I have the perception that non-pilots may find it more appealing than the rest of us (?)

BossEyed
7th Jan 2005, 23:53
Got it for Christmas, but it's not reached the top of my "to read" pile yet. (Sadly not because I've spent the last few days airborne...)

If I get round to it before anyone else posts, I'll let you know.

Dop
8th Jan 2005, 13:57
I quite enjoyed it, but I suspect that you probably wouldn't be allowed to do some of the things he does in this book. Not now, anyway.

Daysleeper
8th Jan 2005, 15:43
Its by no means the best aviation book I've read but its also a very long way from being the worst.

IMHO I found the history bits quite well written, wasn't so sure about his "own experiences" Improves as the book goes on.

Not quite worth £12.99
say 6.5 out of 10 at that price.

if it had been about £6 then maybe an 8/10.

I prefer Alexander Fraters Beyond the Blue Horizon.

edited to add I see the website referred to at the top has Buckley second hand for under a fiver. At that price its definately worth a read.

formationfoto
8th Jan 2005, 15:58
Readable book but written from the perspective of someone who flies showing off to the non flyer and as someone who is keen to promote aviation to all i felt somewhat cheated by that. Some of you may recognise the world he portrays - others my see the flashheart at the flying club as the sort of person who could have written this book.

Buy it, read it, make up your own mind but don't expect a well balanced picture of GA to emerge.

eharding
10th Jan 2005, 11:27
I thoroughly enjoyed it - but, as has been said above, don't
expect much reflection of GA, at least not in the UK - it's
a (fairly brief) description of his experiences of getting a PPL
in Canada, interwoven with an illuminating history of flight
relating to his experiences travelling round the world finding
interesting people to fly with - I don't think he mentions
contemporary flying in the UK at all, really.

MLS-12D
10th Jan 2005, 17:03
Thanks gents.

On the basis of the feedback received, I won't go out of my way to order this book.