PDA

View Full Version : MARHAM Direct DIKAS Sector Question

Bagso
7th Jan 2005, 12:59
Can some kind sould explain the procedures for handling traffic rtg Marham direct DIKAS.

Normally these are RCH (USAF transports) coming Westbound off NAVPI. They are normally working Lon Mil 135.275 before a hand off to 133.9.

I am just curious as to whether the hand off takes place before passing the various airways that run up the spine of the UK or after.

In other words do the 135.275 sector controller handle the airways crossing or is it the 133.9 sector controller.

Just curious.

TIA

5milesbaby
7th Jan 2005, 21:21
There are several ways of crossing Airways. I would expect that for these flights the corridor that is set up for such crossings will be activated (I think its FL230/FL240 but someone will correct if not) which is located near or even through WCO. The corridor will block these levels from civil use and the a/c can use it without civil/military co-ordination. The other way is that the military team working at Swanwick (LJAO) who control such military flights through CAS may assume control just for the crossing. The handoff to 133.9 will definately take place after the a/c have crossed all the north/south airways, know to many as "the Alpha's".

lippiatt
8th Jan 2005, 09:23
Almost correct there 5 miles, LATCC(Mil) work it across the FIR boundary (NAVPI) to Marham. The aircrew always file NAVPI CSL MAM BZN DIKAS GAT, in reality they get NAVPI MAM DIKAS GAT.

The handover to Swanwick Mil is usually around Marham with Swanwick obtaining the CFP through the Alphas usually at the level requested by the pilot (FL280+ mainly) and the subsequent join at DIKAS, as there is little point in giving the aircraft back to LATCC(Mil) West for the bit over Oxfordshire etc.

Afterall, from May Swanwick Mil will be West!!!

The Westcott is sometimes on this route used for the heavies out of MLD for DIKAS