PDA

View Full Version : Cleared ILS or Not?

VeeoneCUT
26th Apr 2000, 01:42
Ok you screen beenz,

Question?, why oh why does the UK ATC system clear aircraft to intercept the LOC then give a further clearance to "continue with the glide"? And what are controllers expecting us to do when we are on the glide, then going through the glide, while the controller is chatting to other aircraft???

I would say follow the glide anyway, as per the lost comms case, where you would expect the aircraft to fly to the M.A.P. right! therefore why the need for two clearances.

Why not "fly heading xxx to intercept, cleared ILS xx", like the other ICAO countries

I have had 10 different explanations from senior captains, and a word from ATC would be usefull.

cleared2land 27left
26th Apr 2000, 03:11
this procedure ensures pilots report established on the loc

Chatterbox
26th Apr 2000, 04:22
VeeoneCUT,
The phrase "cleared ILS" would imply that you can now descend down to the level/altitude specified in the approach plate which is not actually the case. Imagine being told at 20 miles "cleared ILS 27L" at fairly busy LTMA airfield and descending to ..... errrr let me think.... 2000' (hopes).... anyway regardless of actual level it's all gonna get a bit messy.

Please don't quote me , even though i know someone will, but I think most radar controllers would expect you to follow the glide unless told not to. Hence that common phrase "and further with the glide".

Cleared2land@Andrewsfield
oh yeah, like that's a really useful call......

VeeoneCUT
26th Apr 2000, 12:26
Cleared2land, what would you expect with lost comms then?

Chatterbox, I am not sure I agree,

Once cleared to a level and put on an intercept heading, ATC and other aircraft would expect you to maintain until locked onto the LOC then at glide capture descend to the MINIMA.

Flying into Brussels, Charles de Gaulle and Munich where they do parallel approaches aircraft are cleared ILS, after being put on intercept headings from different levels depending on their distance out. I have been cleared ILS from about 14+ miles with 5 aircraft ahead, this is the ICAO standard it is not unsafe.

My question i suppose is, what makes Britain think it knows better and why do we have a different system? :)

ShortCircuit
26th Apr 2000, 23:53
"Descend on the ILS" is the only official phrase in the UK...the rest is coloquial(?) stuff.

However after having reported established I'd appreciate any reduction in RT and would prefer just to use "Continue Approach, (wind) contact Tower" etc etc

FooFighter
28th Apr 2000, 23:55
I have noticed with some European pilots, especially those from Scandinavian countries, will ask you to confirm that they are cleared for the ILS after you have given them a closing heading to establish on the localiser. Perhaps over there they need approval in the form of "cleared for ILS approach runway xx".

With regard to the first message, there are sometimes circumstances when we want the aircraft to establish on the LLZ but NOT to descend (as a way of guaranteeing separation against slower and lower traffic ie at 2A) - but perhaps my unit does that more than some others...

In formal RT phraseologoy "descend on the glide", "continue with the glide", "continue with the ILS" do not exist, and should not be used. If pilots want to read those phrases back then that's up to them. Nothing more embarassing than getting an RT transcript and READING your own cr*p RT phraseology..

And when I'm busy I stick with "Descend ILS" - quick as "continue approach"

============
Foo Man Chew

VeeoneCUT
29th Apr 2000, 03:00
I agree Mr Foo, But it always comes back to the lost comms, thats whay on the ATIS there is the statement Expect ILS Aprch xx L/R, so that should you blow your valves while on vectors ATC know which aprch you will be doing. if this mesages stays up long enough we may find out why the UK is different. In Helsinki they cleared us ILS. It's just Pilots are unsure whether they are allowed to capture the glide while they are flying through and over it because of a busy frequency and made up instructions, like the ones you have pointed out.

Anyone else want to join in. :)

identnospeed
29th Apr 2000, 07:18
I heard of an incident where in the London TMA a scandinavian a/c was cleared to establish ILS while descending to 4,000 alt. The ATCO expected the a/c to maintain 4,000 and report loc established, however the crew descended to a lower alt (without direct clearance to do so) and "hunted" the loc beam AND the glidepath from the lower alt. I believe a proximity problem with another a/c resulted.

The MATS Pt 2 says that the specific clearance LTMA controllers give is to intercept localiser only as a method of ensuring the a/c descends to the specifically cleared altitude.
Remember in the London TMA, ATCOs operating under the privileges of an area "ticket" are allowed to clear a/c to (1) a minimum of 4,000 and (2) to intercept the localiser ONLY.

Maybe, because of different airline SOPs, the safest way of ensuring that an a/c does not descend below its cleared level is to clear it to est loc only !!

Just my viewpoint as an LTMA person, so there maybe some approach folks who can give a more enlightened argument !

Bagheera
29th Apr 2000, 07:19
In actual fact it is quite simple.the localiser is protected and assured to a distance of 25 miles. so you can intercept the localiser and fly headings no problem.However the glide slope can only be guaranted to a distance of 12-15 miles there fore you cannot be clear to descend on the glide until you are within this range.

yakkity
29th Apr 2000, 08:21
Simplicity here. Do not descend below your last asigned altitude until "Ceared for the approach...." , and any way this instruction should be issued BEFORE final intercept or if on a straight in approach clear of terrain and known traffic.
final thing sadly, different strokes for different folks . http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

APP Radar
29th Apr 2000, 20:59
LPPT (Lisbon-Portugal) Radar Approach
Aircrafts are normally vectored to the ILS and "cleared ILS approach RWY XX" when the final interception vector is given.
However, when the aircraft is being vectored far away from the ILS IAF and is crossing the localizer, aircraft may be cleared to follow the localizer which does not mean the aircraft is cleared to descend to IAF altitude or to follow the glide if receiving.
After being cleared fot ILS approach pilots are requested to report established on the ILS (both LOC and GLI) to be transferred to the Tower.

taraman
9th May 2000, 17:33
Another good way to ensure that pilot does not descend below the cleared altitude and let him know that he is cleared for the ILS would be use of the phrase:
"Cleared ILS xx, descend xxxx feet, further with the glide".
What do you think???

TwoDogs
14th May 2000, 17:19
I have worked in a variety of locations around the world and I would agree with Yakkity...don't descend below your last assigned altitude until cleared for an approach. In the case of an ILS you should maintain that altitude until capturing the glideslope and then continuing descent on the glidepath.
ie ZZZ fly heading ??? to intercept the localiser, descend 3000', cleared ILS (or ILS approach, or ILS final)Rwy--

VeeoneCUT
14th May 2000, 21:31
This is the whole question Two dogs,

LGW. yesterday, Fly heading xxx to int., decend 3000, call LOC established.

When on the LOC IF YOU STILL HAVE TWO WAY, they then say decend with the glide. There was no mention of "cleard ILS".

So what would you be doing if you lost your radio?? more over what would you do if you lost comms after receiving your first vector? :)

Flap 5
19th May 2000, 23:23
From a pilots perspective I wouldn't descend below a final cleared level until the glideslope was intercepted. Therefore descending below that level before intercepting the glideslope should never arise - although it would appear that it has.

Secondly it is also a matter of setting up the automatics. In the Airbus you just push the Approach button on a localizer intercept heading and it will intercept the localizer and the glideslope, in that order. In the 737 you press VOR/LOC first and the Approach button only after localizer capture. In either aircraft a glideslope intercept from above can be a hazardous procedure. The autopilot either intercepts a lower altitude, therefore making your approach even steeper, or if you have set a higher altitude you are now pointing at the ground with nothing but glideslope capture or the GPWS to save you from hitting it.

Therefore to be cleared for an ILS (including the glideslope) is by far the safer procedure.

[This message has been edited by Flap 5 (edited 19 May 2000).]

Eli Vator
21st May 2000, 14:41
Yakkity's closing remark is disturbingly accurate. There should be ONE agreed method and terminology for the execution of a radar-vectored ILS approach; afterall it is by far the most common instrument approach effected globally.
Come on CAA, FAA, JAA etc. and ICAO - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!