PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of pilots poses economic risk

Wirraway
7th Jan 2005, 03:55
stuff.co.nz

Shortage of pilots poses economic risk
07 January 2005
By SEAN SCANLON

New Zealand's lucrative tourism and agriculture sectors are threatened by a looming commercial pilot shortage, says the Aviation Industry Association (AIA).

Last month it was reported enrolments of new commercial pilot trainees for this year had collapsed because of uncertainty over student loan funding.

AIA air transport division chairwoman Irene King said yesterday it estimated an intake of 900 students a year was required.

Inquiries from potential students had plummeted while next year's graduates would probably number about 200.

Tourism and agriculture could face a major setback because there were not enough pilots, she said.

"At one end, we're not getting as many student pilots as we would like, probably because there are a lot of mixed messages out there in the community about lack of jobs and high student debt," King said.

"For a while there was a mismatch with not enough jobs for the numbers graduating so people missed out, became disillusioned and gave up or went to jobs overseas. This situation was aggravated when the airlines increased the retiring age."

Student loans for basic pilot qualifications could cost from $50,000 to $70,000. The shortage was most evident at the level between 400 and 1000 hours flying experience, the point at which charter and topdressing pilots were recruited.

King said major airlines needed more pilots due to the introduction of new aircraft like the Boeing 777 and Dash 8.

The aviation industry was working with the Tertiary Education Commission to prepare a paper for the Government on the best funding and training options, she said.

Tourism Industry Association chief executive Fiona Luhrs said many people did not understand the vital role air services played in ensuring tourist numbers.

"Any impact on air services as a result of pilot shortages would be a big concern. It could also affect scenic flights," she said.

Air New Zealand chief pilot Captain David Morgan said yesterday the airline's need for pilots was being driven by a "bump in natural attrition" from people retiring, and introduction of its new Boeing 777 fleet.

Many of Air NZ's pilots came from smaller airlines, and it was working with industry trainers to ensure the flow-on continued.

"The challenge is for the link carriers to make sure they are getting the people coming through," Morgan said.

"There is some concern that there is pressure on the supply of pilots in New Zealand.

"The reality is tourism is New Zealand's largest earner and we need a proper aviation infrastructure to support that."

Morgan said flying had provided him with a wonderful career.

"Flying is not a difficult thing as long as you've got the right attitude. It is a skill that can be acquired.

"Very few pilots are naturals. I think I've only met two or three of those."

A healthy respect for the environment and being able to adapt were important attributes for a pilot, Morgan said.

Christchurch and Canterbury Marketing chief executive Ian Bougen said pilots were an important part of the skills mix needed if New Zealand was to meet its tourism needs.

==========================================

Icarus2001
7th Jan 2005, 04:20
AIA air transport division chairwoman Irene King said yesterday it estimated an intake of 900 students a year was required. mmmmmm but "was required..."to fulfill what requirement?

CASA only appears to issue about 800-900 Commercial Licences each year seems odd that a country with such a small human and aircraft population would need 900 a year!

Thanks to the TTMRA an export opportunity awaits?

tinpis
7th Jan 2005, 05:17
If it were genuine be so many ozmates on the next plane the bloody place would sink.
What a load of bollox.

Cypher
7th Jan 2005, 07:27
It's to furfill the requirement for process 899 people a year for the dole to keep WINZ going, to supply a steady amount of people for the position of fast food technican or fuel transfer technicans....

Anyone care to work out how many charter operators are in NZ? I reckon between all of them, they'd probably need the grand total of about 80-90 pilots.. if not less!!! Will some one in government wake up to this massive wastage of hard earned tax payers money?

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jan 2005, 07:36
The only part of the NZ industry that 'needs' 900 new starters a year would be the flying schools....even 200/yr would seem to leave some room for the backlog to stay backlogged for some time yet.

When you see jobs being advertised at entry level outfits with good pay and general conditions going begging for several weeks you might then suggest there was a shortage of 'pilots'..as it stands airlines are suddenly finding the pool of very experienced and/or type rated people is actually drying up...they have been spoiled for choice for a considerable time and are now just beginning to get a bit of a reality check.

Been in this industry for 25yrs and have seen it before...boom and bust. The only bright point for long term job security and better T&Cs is Asia....it's such a potentially huge economy spread over a wide geographic area that there is some hope that the looming experienced pilot shortage...guys with 10000++ hrs and lots of jet time...might actually reverse the downward spiral of T&Cs of the last 10 yrs....we live in hope.

Wombat
7th Jan 2005, 13:58
Bloody hilarious tinpis, I couldn't agree more.

Split Flap
8th Jan 2005, 02:46
Right that's it that article is just utterly disgracefull.

What is that crazy womans address, she is getting a letter.

steve181
8th Jan 2005, 06:40
fully send a letter Split Flap, that kind of bullsh*t gets me so angry!

pilotboy13
16th Feb 2005, 08:48
Word on the street is that all the NZ pilots moved to Bondi to drink beer on the beach and sunbathe. Thats just what i heard.

Capt Snooze
16th Feb 2005, 14:38
'The only part of the NZ industry that 'needs' 900 new starters a year would be the flying schools'

CC summed it up right there.

Whatever she's smoking, I want some!

Seriously, what is her background? Training industry?

Snooze

Dixons Cider
16th Feb 2005, 17:58
What a crock!! Its this sort of palarva that these propaganda merchants espose purely to keep the training establishments in business.

Sad fact is that these same training establishments being in business enable newbees to get onto that essential first rung of the ladder. Vicsious circle eh! Nature of the beast i suppose, but all the same, tis a bloody strange business we are embroiled in!

Dixon has spoken

Plas Teek
16th Feb 2005, 18:48
Can someone tell King" that we don't call it a Dash-8 anymore. It's the Bombardier Q-300, thank you!
I don't think you'll find any Air NZ stuff now that refers to anything but a Q-300.
I wonder why.......?

Cloud Cutter
16th Feb 2005, 19:27
Split Flap

Try [email protected]

It seems so simple to all of us, perhaps we should explain it to her.