PDA

View Full Version : A/C Certs

mstodd
30th Aug 2000, 02:18
Please assist this confused Yank with understanding all the certs now required to fly in Europe. Is 8.33 mHZ spacing only required at FL240 & above? If my a/c is not RVSM-certified, but is RNP-5, can I fly above FL410 on the NAT tracks and then at all altitudes intra-Europe? IS the UK flight environment different from the Continent? It's getting more confusing and my head is spinning. Any general overview would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the assist.

SilentHandover
30th Aug 2000, 13:13
Sorry i can't be more help but 8.33 spacing is only required above FL240, hope this is of some use.

Bright-Ling
30th Aug 2000, 18:26
Here goes. I think it makes sense....

8.33 spacing in the EUR region started on 7/10/99. From this date, it is mandatory to carry 8.33 when above FL245. (Especially at 7 countries (Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Switzerland) who have already implemented 8.33 spacing).

In the UK, mandatory spacing will not be implemented above FL245 until 1 Jan 2002.

There are a number of rules you must follow though.

Basically, you can be non-equipped and fly above FL245 if remaining in the UK FIR (London/Scottish).

i.e. If non-equipped and overflying (or departing) the UK for France, you will not be given above FL245 in the UK, even though being 8.33 equipped is not mandatory. You must FPL to be below FL245 for the entire EUR region.

If equipped, a letter Y goes in field 10 of the FPL.

Does that make sense???

As for the rest - RVSM etc - I'm equally as confused!!

Have fun!

Roger That
31st Aug 2000, 00:57
Try http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/enr/2020205.pdf
for the relevant UK AIP entry regarding the Flight Level Allocation System employed (you'll need acrobat reader though). Alternatively call the Shanwick OACC ATC Watch Manager on (44) 1292 692663 for details as they are extremely nice people and only too happy to help.

Best of luck

RogerT

mstodd
31st Aug 2000, 22:18
Many thanks for the responses. It certainly is a rapidly changing, evermore dynamic flight environment. Perhaps we should all ask for raises?

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Sep 2000, 19:45
mstodd,

8.33 has been dealt with so we will leave that.

For RVSM, there are 3 key periods to consider. Now, from April 2001, and then from January 2002.

In all 3 dates there is no change to flight over the NAT Region. Outside MNPS airspace (FL285-FL420 from memory), there is no NAT Track system. All aircraft fly what are known as random routes. You file the route you want and subject to other aircraft you will get it. As RVSM applies to levels FL310 to FL390 inclusive (changes to FL290-420 in Jan 2002, which is totally contained in MNPS airspace, if you operate outside MNPS airspace then by default RVSM is not required either.

Within Europe is where the changes will occur.

Now, you can fly at any level regardless of RVSM fit. Even in the NAT Transition Areas such as Brest, Shannon and Scotland, RVSM is not mandatory and mixed mode traffic operates.

In April 2001, some European countries will introduce Early Implementation of RVSM. Although all aircraft intending to operate in European airspace between FL290 to FL420 inclusive will be required to be RVSM approved by that time, there will be no mandate for aircraft to be equipped to fly in the airspace from that date. This is to allow data gathering for the safety assurance of the project to take place. This will allow operators of older fleets which will not be operating in RVSM levels come Full Introduction to continue to operate in the airspace. No doubt the usual suspects who are always late to equip in European programmes will also try and stall their fleet equippage to please the beancounters. but in any case those European countries going early will still operate in mixed mode.

From January 2002, RVSM is introduced fully in Europe. It will be mandatory for aircraft to have RVSM approval to operate in the band FL290 to FL420 inclusive. The only exceptions will be State aircraft, emergency aircraft, and in specified States where transit of the RVSM airspace will be permitted for non equipped aircraft so that they can either climb to cruise above or descend through RVSM airspace to land. It is very likely that only those States at the edge of Europe will have the latter facility.

For example, it will allow biz jets outbound from the UK going across the Atlantic to climb up above RVSM airspace before reaching the Oceanic boundary. It will not however be permitted in the core area of Europe, therefore if you are cruising at say FL450 from the USA to Germany, you will be forced to descend in UK airspace to FL280 or below prior to crossing the boundary with the next European State. Similarly, if you are outbound from Italy and crossing the Atlantic, you will be held down at FL280 or below until you reach somewhere like the UK which will permit you to climb up through RVSM airspace.

If that hasn't confused you enough then you'll find it all on the Eurocontrol website

http://www.eurocontrol.be

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]