PDA

View Full Version : Work experience with Air Traffic

conker
30th Aug 2000, 00:50
My nephew is 16 and is interested in a career in air traffic. He has just done a career assessment and it is one of the options that they thought would suit him. Is there anyway he could get a chance to see what goes on in ATC, maybe through work experience. I would appreciate any tips/ contacts you might have.

many thanks,in anticipation

keep up the good work!(I am a pilot with a uk charter company)

U R NumberOne
30th Aug 2000, 14:48
Conker,

First question has to be which airports are close to your nephew. I'm certain all NATS units (ours certainly does) may be able to take him on for a week of works experience - its just a matter of making the enquiries to the right people at a local ATC unit. If you post which places would be most best, I'm certain some PPRuNers will be able to help.

conker
30th Aug 2000, 23:53
A good point! He lives near Basingstoke so anywhere around London/Southhampton etc. would be fine.

I've hosted a lot of work experience kids in previous jobs and realise that after a couple of days there is often very little for them to do once they been shown around and watched what is going on. With that in mind I would think he would only need to be around for a short while. Does this make sense?

Thanks in anticipation.

autothrottle
31st Aug 2000, 02:19
Your nephew might want to contact the Manager ATC at Heathrow.His name is Peter Tomlinson,and seems a decent enough fellow.

Address:MR P.TOMLINSON
MANAGER,ATC
NATS
HEATHROW AIRPORT
HOUNSLOW
MIDDLESEX

QNH
4th Sep 2000, 01:21
I did a weeks work ex at a local airport (Coventry) out of 2 weeks work ex time from school. This was because there isn't a great deal a 16yr old can do for 2 weeks.
Speak to the local SATCO.
(Bird scaring was a good laugh though!!)

conker
4th Sep 2000, 11:48
Thanks for these, I'm sure he will want to visit Heathrow. I was wondering if there is any possibility of him going to LATCC as it would certainly be a good insight into area radar.

Thanks again.