PDA

View Full Version : Success...

Jas
26th Aug 2000, 18:17
Just to let those of you who read my earlier post (about my initial tests) that I got through to the interview stage!!! :)

Now I need to arrange that visit to an ATC unit... so does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about this?... your help would be much appreciated (again!).

Thanks for all your help, Jas. :)

[This message has been edited by Jas (edited 26 August 2000).]

niteflite01
26th Aug 2000, 18:46
Well done matey :)

As for your visit - depends where you are in the country??

Well done again!

------------------

"Go around..I say again...go around"

Jas
26th Aug 2000, 20:30
Oops - forgot to mention - I'm in the (central) South of England, nearest to me (I believe) is Southampton/Eastleigh. Failing that London's only a good hour away...

Cheers, Jas.

Jas
26th Aug 2000, 22:30
Yep Farnborough would be OK - didn't think of that one to begin with!

Is it best to just phone the unit with my details and take it from there, or is there a better approach?

Cheers, Jas.

PPRuNe Radar
26th Aug 2000, 23:25
Well done Jas.

NATS units in your area include Southampton (or well be very soon, if not already, so I guess as new boys on the block their tips on NATS selection might be limited), Gatwick, Farnborough, or nearer London there is LATCC and Heathrow. NERC at Swanwick is also there but as it's not yet operational, it may be difficult to get a visit and of course there would be a limited number of people there who might be able to help.

Make the effort and get to one. It'll help immensely. I'm sure if you post your preferred options here, someone can help out.

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Radar (edited 26 August 2000).]

Jas
26th Aug 2000, 23:45
Thanks for your suggestions guys -

After reading them, I'd definitely enjoy the chance to go to Gatwick for a look around - but thought this may be too busy? What are my chances?

Farnborough & So'ton are closer, so any contacts at any of the places mentioned would be most appreciated http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Thanks, Jas.

halo
27th Aug 2000, 03:45
How about Heathrow Jas??? Drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do 4 U

PPRuNe Radar
27th Aug 2000, 23:40
Jas,

The following advice was e-mailed to me by a controller who is involved in selection interviews. Hope it helps everyone out there in preparing for them. It does not offer solutions nor all the answers. Candidates are still expected to do that bit for themselves on the day. But hopefully it will give a flavour of what goes on and the sort of approach that candidates should take. I have edited it a little to generalise things but hope I have not changed the advice materially.

I've been following the threads posted by Jas about ATC recruitment, from the point of view of a NATS interviewer. Everything that he/she has been told so far is fair enough.

Nothing annoys me more than interviewing someone whose head has been filled with a load of nonsense by ATCOs who think they're helping, clouding their minds with rubbish and preventing the candidate displaying what we want to see.

Can I suggest that if a candidate tries to see a couple of units, then make it either a NATS and non-NATS unit, or an aerodrome and area unit, so there are differences which the candidate can describe at the interview.

Also, on any visit, don't try to take EVERYTHING in. It is much better to be able to describe EVERYTHING about a particular aspect of the operation, than demonstrate a little misunderstood bit of every aspect of the operation when asked to tell what you saw.

The question "what have you done to prepare?" is a common opener, as much to put the candidate at ease than anything else, therefore it will help if the candidate can answer this confidently, if only to settle him/herself for the rest of the interview.

Finally, people get tongue tied trying to answer any question as though they are an ATCO, worrying about the correct phraseology or terminology, etc, and eventually saying nothing. ATC is common sense, and candidates should remember they are not yet an ATCO. Often the answer required is as hi-tech as "well I'd move that one over there to stop it bumping into that one..." I'm over simplifying I know, but I hope that you get the gist.

Many thanks to the unknown PPRuNer for his/her advice.

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Radar (edited 27 August 2000).]

Jas
28th Aug 2000, 01:48
All taken in and understood! :)

Many thanks, Jas.

Boxie7
28th Aug 2000, 15:54
Jas,

Well done. I was also sweating my way through the selection tests at the Roundhouse Hotel on the 11th Aug. I have been keeping an eye on the responses from the people in the know. I have been invited to Hurn for the interview. So if there are any ATCo's out there willing to help another Wannabe. I would love to hear from you!!!

Jas I rang the number for LATCC that was in the interview information pack that was sent out. They are organising a visit for me. Having read the above I will also try to go to a non NATS establishment probably Bournemouth.

All the best.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boxie7 (edited 28 August 2000).]