PDA

View Full Version : Kalitta Air aborted T/O at KHV

CargoOne
3rd Jan 2005, 12:54
Local Russian news reporting Kalitta 747F aborted takeoff at KHV this morning (far east time). KHV was a techstop enroute from HKG to ANC.
News talking about landing gear problems on takeoff run, parts of landing gear was sucked into engine and caused engine failure (or parts of tyres, what is more likely if you ask me).
Most of the tyres gone burst but aircraft stopped withing the rwy.
There is one assumption published regarding what caused the problem but I don't want to relay it here because it seems to be 100% bu****it.

Ignition Override
3rd Jan 2005, 14:25
A Kalitta 747 recently had an engine fall off over Michigan. Who does their maintenance, and do their technical logbooks (describing fatigue cracks) ever have pages "missing", as is alleged at Fedex, in order to let accident blame be directed at only the Fedex pilots (MD-11, MD-10)?
:suspect:

Taikonaut
3rd Jan 2005, 20:21
At least one main blew during take off in KHV at 130 knots. Normal RTO was initiated and everything went by the book. The 4 other might have been blown on the reject or right along with the first one. Number 3 engine ingested some of the debris and required an engine change. The current wx at the time was CAVOK and -24 C. The captain did a fine job considering the the temp and poor rwy condition at KHV. Who knew why the tire blew, warm tire melted the ice and re-frozen on the ground causing a flat spot?

As far as the pod seperation over Lake Michigan, it was a bad rear c-rail mount on the exhaust casing. Part of the mount was still attached to the a/c after the seperation. The part was two weeks old from P & W. Another similar crack was found on another a/c with the part from the same batch. Glad that it fell into a lake and not on somebody's house and the crew did a fine job bringing her back to the ground.

Taikonaut
4th Jan 2005, 04:38
Still love to hear the published bull sh*t version though...:E

Airbubba
4th Jan 2005, 04:55
>>Who knew why the tire blew, warm tire melted the ice and re-frozen on the ground causing a flat spot? <<

Yep, sure seen that in ANC in the winter on the 74 before...

How was the lodging and duty free at UHHH <g>?

Zoner
4th Jan 2005, 04:56
Having been through KHV more times than I care to remember I will tell you that runway is the roughest ride I’ve ever been on. It literally rattles your teeth during takeoff and the whole airplane shakes and bucks like a wild mustang. Our procedure was to always make a flaps 20 max power takeoff to try and get off the runway as soon as possible. The biggest surprise to me was always that nothing ever fell off. My sympathies to the Kallita crew, who are most likely dealing with the local authorities, on one of our aborts we found out the hard way that the Captain is held personally responsible for aircraft damage during aborts. I don’t miss that place at all!

Airbubba
4th Jan 2005, 05:09
>>Our procedure was to always make a flaps 20 max power takeoff to try and get off the runway as soon as possible.<<

Sounds a lot like MNL in the old days...

CargoOne
4th Jan 2005, 08:42
Taikonaut

The first version published was... Are you sitting comfortably?

"FEMALE Captain on this flight forgot to release the brakes before starting takeoff run, which caused gear and tyres destruction."

It was particularly pointed that Captain was Female, which is even the bigger problem than unreleased brakes in Russia, where females are very very rare on commercial aircraft, don't mind heavy jet and don't mind Captain position at all.
After 15 years of Soviet Union collapse there is still no straight and official way to become CPL/ATPL holder for females in Russia.

rotary
4th Jan 2005, 09:54
My thoughts are with the Captains' husband. The poor man probably went to bed hungry!

gas path
4th Jan 2005, 11:54
I have a nice picture of the Kallitta air 747 which clearly shows the failure of the R and S flanges around the rear mount. The failure, I believe, propagated from a previous weld repair. The flanges (on the JT9d) always were prone to cracks (a) between the lightning holes and (b) through the outer webs, also to a lesser extent in toward the fillet radius where they would turn circumferentially around the case. The cracks if they reached the fillet needed careful monitoring.
Posting the picture is not a problem but I don't know if it is copyright protected or indeed who to contact for permission to use it.:sad:
I think the originals were taken by somone at 'Express jet'

UNCTUOUS
4th Jan 2005, 12:39
What's the use of a photo if it can't be shown and people learn from it?

Send a copy to [email protected] and I'll mount it anonymously on pprune in this thread (and down it if anyone winges)

UNC

Zoner
4th Jan 2005, 22:49
Taikonaut said:

“At least one main blew during take off in KHV at 130 knots. Normal RTO was initiated and everything went by the book.”

Aborts above 100 knots can be dicey. I know that my outfit and several others don’t allow them unless something catastrophic has happened. KHV has a very long runway, but most places do not. Something to think about.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_11/takeoff.html

Earl
4th Jan 2005, 23:12
Just a question here.
Except for a loud un explained bang how do you determine that a tire or possibly more than one tire has blown.
Since the F/E attention is up front during the take off and the only possible clue is an improper tilt on the gear.
How do you abort a take off with only these indications?
As with a recent case they would have been better off to take off and return with the blown tires.
The end result was a hull loss, thank god the crew was ok. No fire after the overun.
A quick scan of the engines, everythings ok
Close to V1 take off and evaluate it in the air.
Leave the gear down and return as nessasary.
I think the concorde disaster has got us into another area of problems.
Judgment call really.
Would like to hear other suggestions on this.
More than willing to admit if I am wrong here.
We all learn and become better from previous experiance.

Willit Run
4th Jan 2005, 23:21
How about an engine failure on take off roll, the ensueing abort/reject, and then the forthcoming tire/tyre problems. I will ask around tomorrow and report more!

Ignition Override
5th Jan 2005, 04:51
Where is KHV?:8

EFP058
5th Jan 2005, 06:02
I was just gonna ask the same thing... :p I wish people would use ICAO codes in here.

BEagle
5th Jan 2005, 07:13
KHV is Khabarovsk/Novy in the Russian Federation.

I agree about IATA bores; why can't people just use the names of aerodromes?

The aircraft was flying from Hong Kong International to Anchorage International, Alaska.

Many thanks to http://www.scramble.nl/icao.htm which is excellent for decrypting IATA/ICAO codes!

UNCTUOUS
5th Jan 2005, 07:16
KHV Khabarovsk Novy Russia

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/khabarovsk-3.jpg

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/khabarovsk-2.jpg

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/kalitta-1.jpg

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/kalitta-2.jpg

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/kalitta-3.jpg

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/belfast/100105_files/kalitta-4.jpg

gas path
5th Jan 2005, 07:37
Nice one UNCTUOUS they're the self same pictures I have got:ok:

Willit Run
6th Jan 2005, 21:53
OK, here is what i have for now! the aircraft was a -100. MTOGW is 734,000 for that airframe and they were at 730,000. No, the parking brake was not set! do you really think the thing would move with that much weight on the tires especially with "A" engines if the brakes were set?? I think not! Anyway, 12 tires thermalled, the new engine should be ready to test run tomorrow morning. Yes the captain was a female, but she has a good reputation so that is not an issue.
90% of our trips are at MAX everything. I have never seen so many red runway lights in my life! Thats the nature of our business and we have to deal with it on a daily basis. you get used to it!

falconflier
9th Jan 2005, 06:02
Khabarovsk, Russia

dartman
10th Jan 2005, 02:58
Boy, and I thought ANC was the tech stop! Whatish is the range of a classic 100 or 200 at MZFW, and if you limit the payload?

Zoner
10th Jan 2005, 20:53
It takes two tech stops to get to the USA. UHHH or RJCC is the first and PANC is the second. That's because freighters fly full, usually about 240,000 lbs payload on the classic. The only limit to payoad is MZFW or volume.

Taikonaut
12th Jan 2005, 06:10
Interestingly enough, the same aircraft that lost the engine was the same one that had an RTO at Khabarovsk (KHV, UHHH), N709CKS. Of course, both incidents are unrelated.

I heard that some of the crew have dubbed her, 709, "Christine". :bored:

Cheers

Willit Run
13th Jan 2005, 18:05
OK, just flew with the engineer and got the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Only blew four tires total. They were at 130 knots on TO roll , heard a big bang and then saw a big orange flash out the right side and rejected. The runway is 13,100 feet long and they had 2 to 3 thousand feet remaining after they stopped and as they taxied off the runway, they felt the bumpity bump bump and knew they had flattened a tire, They shredded two on TO and thermalled the other 2. yea they trashed an engine but rubber was found in the # 3 afterwards. Quite a wierd scenarioo. No , the parking brake was not set! Twas the F/O's leg. oh, and for the cap off, we just came into ANC from UHHH (khv) on another AC and guess what we found during the post flight walkaround, yep another blown tire, shredded, ripped from rim to rim. It is a rough runway in uhhh/.khv Time for bed! been a looooooooooong day!