PDA

View Full Version : NATS

Captain75
5th Apr 2000, 23:04
Hi everyone. Is there anyone out there who has attended 1st stage interviews for student air traffic controller positions with NATS. I unfortunately didnt make it through last time round and have applied again this year. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

cleared2land 27left
7th Apr 2000, 18:41
What was the problem last time?? I suggest that you revise the booklet they give you and try to answer the maths/spacial awareness questions as quick as u can.

any more help needed send a reply.

Captain75
11th Apr 2000, 17:34
Thanks Cleared2land 27left! I had made it through the apptitude tests no problem, but didnt go so well in the next stage interviews. If I recall correctly, the first interview consisted of certain scenarios (ie, an aircraft with an engine failure is parked at the end of the runway threshold, can another aircraft take off? 2 Aircraft flying head on, what action would you take?). I was then asked a set of questions in relation to navigation/meteorolgy etc and then finally some personality questions. The technical questions didnt seem a problem. It was just the next interview which puzzled me?!?! The interviewer asks you a series of 50 questions or so, to which you must answer 'yes' or 'no'. Questions like 'What would you do if.....?' How do you answer these type of questions with yes or no? Please help.

aluminium persuader
11th Apr 2000, 21:34
Tricky one that. People have tried being honest, and people have tried putting down what they think the CAA want to hear. Best I can reccommend is to read as much as possible about the job and the folk who do it, and to talk to as many ATCOs and visit as many units as you can. A visit to CATC is always worthwhile, and talk to SERCo as well. Luck!

------------------
Once more unto the breach, Dear Friends...

Dreamcast
12th Apr 2000, 05:07
Hi Captain75, i have my interview coming up shortly and i would appreciate some help.. could you email me at:

[email protected]

thanks.

cleared2land 27left
12th Apr 2000, 17:42
Did you recieve the list of books to read up on??
Read at least one of them

Question if a/c at end of runway is broken can another take off? Yes, taxi other a/c upto where broken a/c is and subject to wind go for it. Any other questions please ask.

I hated the YES/NO interview.

What did you think of the computer tests??

Bagheera
13th Apr 2000, 06:14
Where the hell do you work 27 left???
If an aircraft has engine problems on the runway... Question one is do you require assistance...question 2 is are you able to taxi clear...question 3 is what do I do with my stream of landers..only then would you possibly think about lining an intermediate aircraft up.

cleared2land 27left
13th Apr 2000, 16:42
If you have parallel runways then you have no problem. Obviously you check the state of the a/c with a problem.

i work at an airport with 27Left....

answers on a postcard.

Captain75
14th Apr 2000, 23:08
cleared2land 27left, any advice on how to answer the yes/no questions?

Dreamcast
15th Apr 2000, 03:49
cleared2land..

what are these computer tests about? and what sorts of things should i know about NATS i.e. company information? or is the interview just to see how much i know about ATC?

thanks

Dreamcast
15th Apr 2000, 03:57
Cleared2land..

What are these computer tests about you mentioned? Also what sort of information should i know about NATS i.e. company information?

could you email me if possible? pLeAsE!!

Asda
15th Apr 2000, 10:24
Having been through this mill some time ago, and having talked to my interviewers some time later, my impressions are that you are not expected to be an expert on ATC or on NATS. What they do like is if you have read and remembered any literature they have sent you. They also are pleased if you have already arranged a visit, off your own back, to an airport or centre. Subscribe to flight magazine, and tell them; it all shows motivation, interest and initiative.

As for the yes/no questions later on. They are all part of a personality questionnaire - Would you rather spend money on street lighting or the arts? etc. There are no right/wrong answers, just be honest, they're just trying to find out if you're a psycho.

Questions about stricken aircraft on runways aren't expected to be answered exactly or even correctly, but they want to see if you have some appreciation of the problems involved and can hold a coherent conversation about it.

Don't worry if you get things 'wrong'. I was sure I'd failed an interview because I said an aircraft flying at 480 knots flew at 5 miles a minute. I still passsed and have never ever had to sit back and do this mental arithmatic.

Good luck, we need lots more controllers

cleared2land 27left
15th Apr 2000, 16:25
I now work with one of the people who interviewed me and they say that all you need to show in the interview is that you can think quickly calmly and if needs be come up with some bullsh@t at times. The computer tests may no longer be used. They were on the second stage of interviews.

Captain75
15th Apr 2000, 18:36
Thanks cleared2land 27left (Youve got to come up with a nick name!) Was I right in answering the personality questionaire with yes/no answers. For example "How would you describe your personaltiy?", how do I answer that with a yes or no answer. Am I to elaborate on my answers. Also, I was asked general navigation and meteorology questions to which I didnt really know the answers, should I make up some b****it or be honest? Any more advice would be much appreciated. A question I was asked "How do you think the privatisation of NATS will affect you and others? What are your view on the privatisation?

Captain75
15th Apr 2000, 18:59
Cleared2land, one more question - is the medical a CAA class 1. What does is consist of?
Cheers

Special VFR
16th Apr 2000, 00:01
Just brace yourself when he puts the rubber glove on. :) :) :) :) :)

InspectorGadget
16th Apr 2000, 01:12
Rubber glove and more........

...Well, an initial Class One is very in depth. They test your heart, ears, eyesight (more thoroughly than anything!) lungs, blood pressure, wee wee etc.

If you have it done at the 'Beehive' in Gatwick it is all a bit of a merry-go-round. Lots of people semi-naked (apart from the regulation CAA white robe!) wandering around from test to test with a nurse.

Ahhh....... can't wait for my renewal

IG

identnospeed
16th Apr 2000, 04:06
Captain75 - the class1 is no big deal, as long as you're reasonably healthy and keep the fag consumption down you should be OK !

Blood pressure is an issue at the moment at my unit and the job doesn't help to keep it down ! So don't drink too much alcohol the day before your medical as it will push your BP up for the next day !!

INS

Captain75
16th Apr 2000, 21:29
Thanks identnospeed. I dont think it would be much different to the CAA class 1 licence I obtained for my PPL - shouldnt have any problems. I would however, appreciate if you have any suggestions on the the interview in terms of the technical side of things. I remember the first question they asked me was to identify what type of aircraft 2 models were. Are these trivial type of questions expected to be answered correctly, or are they just trying to see if you will buls***t your way through? The other type of question I need improving is 2 aircraft flying head on at a specific altitude with respective speeds at a certain distance, how long will it take till they collide. Is there a rule of thumb when working these out. Any help would be much appreciated.

identnospeed
16th Apr 2000, 23:11
Captain75 - the reason for the ID of 2 different models of aircraft would show (a) that you have an interest in aviation, which is not essential but certainly desirable, and presumably (b) that, in a tower environment you can ID an aircraft without reference to the flight progress strip, and therefore be more "slick" on a busy frequency !

If you get posted to a radar only unit they all look the same !!! so visual IDs are not important. What is important is relating aircraft type to its performance (eg. a learjet 60 climbs better than 747-400).

Re: 2 a/c converging head on at a specific ground speed, say 480 knots and 420 knots respectively = 900 knot closure. divide 900 by 60 = 15 n.miles per min. Just divide distance between a/c by this figure to get mins to impact. ....most would suggest some fairly savage heading or level adjustment if your answer is less than 2 mins !!!!!!

IMHO a correct answer that takes 15 secs is better than an incorrect one that takes 10.

cheers
INS

Captain75
16th Apr 2000, 23:34
Thanks INS, sorry to be such a pain in the a**, but youve been really helpful. Cheers. PS, if I think of anything else Ill post u.

halo
17th Apr 2000, 04:28
I think I know where Cleared2Land 27L works. I think we work at the same airport *laughs*

cleared2land 27left
19th Apr 2000, 17:36
we do Halo, or should i say Mark!

halo
20th Apr 2000, 03:16
*laughs*. So, would U care to reveal yourself to me?? Or will I become the subject of even more ridicule at work?? Even more than just having ridiculously blonde hair *laughs*

Gonzo
20th Apr 2000, 23:02
Halo, you won't be getting any stick about hair colour from me! I think anything other than normal dull brown or black is good....<g>

Just recovering from a cold passed on to me from a mutual friend in EGPH!

Gonzo the Muppet

PS On a trivia note, anyone know the other airfield in the UK with a 27L and 27R????
Or is that me being sad????

[This message has been edited by Gonzo (edited 20 April 2000).]

halo
21st Apr 2000, 02:43
I think I know who U R now *laughs*.
U wouldn't be on E Watch would U??

halo
21st Apr 2000, 03:53
I think that U will find that U R being sad. Remember there is only one 27L and 27R
*laughs*

160to4DME
22nd Apr 2000, 02:59
Captain75 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Have you had your interview yet ??

If not, hope this is of use.

The second stage of interviews is divided into 3 parts; Computer Tests, Personnel Interview and Technical Interview.

The Computer Tests are there to gauge your lateral thinking, your mental agility, and your ability to multi-task. You will have to keep radar blips seperated whilst at the same time answer questions which will pop up on the screen.The best tip I can give you is not to panic if a question disappears before you have time to answer it :)

The Personnel Interview is a structured questionnaire of 50 questions to which you need to supply a Yes or No answer. It has already been mentioned that people have tried to beat the system by being totally honest or by guessing what answer NATS are looking for. My only advise is if in doubt, go for the option which sounds most positive.

The Technical Interview is a one-on-one discussion, chaired by an ATCO. The interviewer will have no backgorund information on you except for whatever you wrote on your Motivation and Interests Paper from round one of the selection process.
He/she will therefore start the interview rolling with a few questions about your past.
He/she will also ask you what sort of preparation you have done for the day. Here you must be able to show you've researched the job, either by reading the booklist or by accessing the WWW.

They will also expect you to have made atleast one recent visit to an ATC unit (visiting Halfpenny Green Tower back in 1985 won't count!). Although this is not compulsory, it will raise your Motivation mark if you have. :)

It will also give you something else to talk about, so pay attention to detail if you do get a tour of a NATS unit....you aint going to get away with Bulls**t if you try to convince a LATCC/MACC/SCoATCC interviewer that you've visited their unit when you actually haven't. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Then they will move onto some practical scenarios. We aren't there to catch you out, nor are we there to see how big a hole you're able to dig.

Yes, there may be some calculations which are required, but to be honest, as long as you read or listen to the question and remain calm, then you shouldn't have much trouble with them.

The scenarios are varied, but without exception, not one of them has one simple finite answer. They do say give 6 ATCOs a question and you'll get 12 answers :)

We are looking for your sense of logic, for your reasoning and for you decisiveness. We are also assesing how you operate under pressure, so an easy problem might quickly develop into a nightmare scenario.

Hint: Keep cool, keep calm, and if you're sure of your solution, stick to it. By all means listen to any alternative solutions the interviewer offers you, but if you're sure you have the best solution, offer him/her your reasons for sticking with it.

Other hints:

Re-read all the literature they have sent you. If you think you answered a question badly on the Motivation and Interests paper, you're almost guaranteed they will ask it you again in the interview.

Once you've visited a unit, think about what you've seen and draw up a list of the qualities in a person you consider would be good for the job; they are bound to ask you.

Arrive on time....the ATCO interviewer hates to be kept waiting if he/she's on a tight schedule of 6 interviews a day.

Be smart; we have to look at you for 50 minutes !!

Oh, and if you happen to have a 36/26/34 figure, when can you start ? :rolleyes:

Good luck

[This message has been edited by 160to4DME (edited 21 April 2000).]

Gonzo
22nd Apr 2000, 13:59
Halo,

Eeeeech, ya got me!

Moi, being sad???? Well, it's all this studying the MATS 2.....addles yer brain!

BTW it's Andrewsfield, if you really wanted to know.....<g>

Gonzo the Muppet

Captain75
23rd Apr 2000, 21:55
160to4DME, thankyou very much for your advice. I have my interview next month and will use the advice you put forward. As for visiting a NATS unit, do you know who I can contact at West Drayton to organise this? In regards to the 50 structured personality questions, I recall question like 'How would you define your personality?" - How is that supposed to be answered with a 'yes' or 'no' answer???????? Is there an email address I can contact you on 160to4DME? Once again thanks a million!!

Mr Chips
23rd Apr 2000, 22:01
Captain 75 - contact Jo Clare, PR and Comms officer at LATCC on 01895 445566. failing that, contact [email protected]

good Luck

halo
23rd Apr 2000, 22:22
Captain 75, U might find that LATCC is very difficult to get into. Current company policy is not to allow visitors to any units at all. U R probably best of trying an airport, Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Manchester, etc

Asda
24th Apr 2000, 16:27
As someone who works at LATCC, there seems to be a stream of visitors passing through. If you have an interview with NATS coming up I'm sure any request will be looked on favourably. If you're going to visit LATCC see if you can arrange a trip to Heathrow the same day. They are only a stone's throw away from each other. (well almost- I've tried.)

cleared2land 27left
26th Apr 2000, 03:21
well at least we have windows to throw stones at!!

Asda
26th Apr 2000, 23:08
I am a mole and I live in a hole

acpo
29th Apr 2000, 17:13
Having been through the interview process and made it to Bournmouth,I'd say its not the interview you should worry about, its the course. Very hard with high failure rate.

[This message has been edited by acpo (edited 29 April 2000).]

Captain75
29th Apr 2000, 20:32
Acpo, any advice for the interview? I know you say the course is difficult, but overall how does it weigh up, ie. studying, life in Bournemouth, social life etc..

acpo
29th Apr 2000, 22:35
When I had my interviews one was with a personnel lady and I'd say answer the questions honestly. The second was with two ATCO's and for that you should read one of the recomended books but also show some initiative when asked questions that don't seem to have an obvious answer.

The computer test consisted of pairs of numbers heading accross the screen to one another and if the were going to hit you had to remove them from the screen, and at the same time solve maths problems at the bottom of the screen.

Bournmouth is quite a lively place to be.

I found the selection procedure quite easy but failed the course in Bournmouth, but if that happens NATS will usually give you a job as an assistant.

[This message has been edited by acpo (edited 29 April 2000).]

U R NumberOne
1st May 2000, 15:47
Capt75

My NATS unit is always happy to show potential Student ATCOs around - particularly if you are already going through the recruitment procedures, but as we're several hundred miles from London, I'm guessing this won't be much use to you. Give it a try locally though.

As far as the course goes - it is tough and several students don't make it out the other side, but the job makes it worth all the effort.

Good luck ;)

FooFighter
6th May 2000, 15:15
Hey Halo,
I can't imagine ANYONE giving you stick about your hair, certainly no-one from good ole course 103 !! ;-) Still got post-it notes all over your room with "handy hints for ATC" ???

Foo Fighter
Supporting the Bantams from an airport in NE Scotland where most aeroplanes have wings on the roof!

halo
6th May 2000, 16:58
Well its good to hear from somebody from Course 103!!! I hope everything is going well at that NE Scotland airport!! Its a shame that you tend to lose the interaction with your old course mates. How are the others doing??