PDA

View Full Version : Flight crew assist distressed trans-Atlantic ferry flight

max alt
3rd Jan 2005, 10:17
I was flying on new years eve evening, position around 15 west and going westbound for sanford when I dialled up the chat freq 12345 to hear a lot of two way com betwween a light a/c NK and fellow atlantic traffic.The a/c was on a ferry flight to shannon from goose I think.The a/c was in poor weather ,Icing, a fuel leak and a high cylinder temp on one of the engines.Things were going from bad to worse and the tone of the pilots voice began to reflect the worsening state of affairs.What followed was once again a demonstration of the affinity we have as pilots as information was relayed via varios means vhf,hf,data link between shannon the jet traffic and NK.A nimrod was dispatched to aid any ditching effort that might have to be attempted.Delta a/c were contacting their dispatchers to calculate if the light a/c could make destination given new groundspeeds Etc.All was done to aid the a/c and it was with great relief that we heard that he a/c made it to shannon RUNNING OUT OF FUEL ON THE RUNWAY.We were just crossing over gander at the time and quite a bit of chat then follwed as we reflected on what had happened.
To the pilot of Nk,I think you should write about this one,Happy new year,from Jetset 34.
Max Alt.

Rolling Stone
3rd Jan 2005, 10:22
Friend of mine was taking about this yesterday, (Virgin pilot) and he was under the impresion a/c landed in SNN just as engines flamed out. Only have this second hand though. Hope its true.

surely not
3rd Jan 2005, 10:29
Already 2 pages on this in Private Flying Forum

Flying Lawyer
3rd Jan 2005, 10:53
He landed safely - just! :eek:

Link here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157518)