PDA

View Full Version : WIP @ LGW

Gaucho
18th Aug 2000, 08:40
With the resurfacing of rwy 08R/26L @ LGW during the night, operators are req'd to used the "emerg" rwy, 08L/26R. I've noticed in separate occasions that although having the correct indications on the PAPI's, rwy 26R looks mighty short!! While landing a couple of nights ago on a 767, at the correct approach airspeed, following the PAPI's, after touching down at the "right" spot (displaced threshold!!) we said to ourselves: "there is not a lot of rwy left, is there?".
Is it possible that the PAPI's are slightly missaligned and for that reason the touchdown point is incorrect?
We weren't particularly heavy and we used a fair amount of braking due to the fact that we were using idle reverse.
Any clues?
Thanks.
Another http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif pilot!

Lew Ton
19th Aug 2000, 00:53
Admirable though this forum is, this is better directed at Gatwick Airside Ops. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, we wouldn't. The alignment of PAPIs is normally checked weekly.

Sorry, don't have a number but the main switchboard should know who to put you through to.

[This message has been edited by Lew Ton (edited 18 August 2000).]

Warped Factor
19th Aug 2000, 01:37
TCAS Climb, the ILS should be switched off when the northern runway is in use, so no glideslope.

It's either a visual or surveillance radar approach.

WF.

Gaucho
19th Aug 2000, 03:05
Thanks all of you.
I wasn't aware that calibration or alignment of PAPIs took place every week. I guess that due to the displaced threshold, the rwy becomes a lot shorter than the distance given on the Jeppesen airfield plate (10-9). It must be right.
Once again, thanks very much to everyone for your comments.