View Full Version : Public Transport Flights With Air Ground Service

ATCO Wannabe
20th Jul 2001, 21:15
I am curious as to whether a charter company can operate an aircraft such as a Beech Kingair or a Learjet into a licenced aerodrome with the required RFFS category but with no Air Traffic Control only the Air Ground service.

Is this legal? Does anyone have an thoughts / facts on this?

Cheers

HODGES4U
21st Jul 2001, 00:28
FROM A SMALL GRASS AIRFIELD IN KENT.
YES WE DID IT ALL THE TIME IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS THURSTONS,AIR FURNESS,ATS GATWICK,NEATAX ETC.( LOTS OF REGS RGDING PUBLIC TRANSPORT BUT PRIVATE OPERATORS NO PROBLEM.

Tee
21st Jul 2001, 00:36
I'm an Air/Ground Radio Operator at a licensed GA airfield where we occasionally handle small jets, Kingairs, etc., but I don't know what the status of these flights is (Public Transport or otherwise) and they never have many passengers.

I'd also be interested to hear comments on this subject generally, for my own edification and because I'm currently studying ATPL Air Law and JAR OPS, amongst other things, and can't work out the answer from the myriad rules and regulations that exist.

[ 20 July 2001: Message edited by: Tee ]

160to4DME
21st Jul 2001, 00:50
Ahhhhhhhhhh Air Furness

Was that the Islander with the callsign
"Clan King." ????

Always brought a chuckle to the airwaves...was never sure whether it sounded like something out of Braveheart or a representation of the aircraft's mechanics!!! :D

JuicyLucy
21st Jul 2001, 00:53
Wannabe,
As someone that does just that - the answer is yes - it is legal

Spoonbill
21st Jul 2001, 00:59
I'm pretty sure that as long as the airfield is licenced to accept the type of aircraft in question, then there is no requirement for an ATC service.
I thinkthat the only time the CAA would insist on the provision of an ATC service, is if the airfield operator wishes to publish an official instrument approach procedure.
I know that many smaller airfields have their own NDBs, and ineviatebly some people use them to do let downs.
Also in the past, aircraft operators had "company procedures" at licensed airfields which had ATC but limited approach aids, these procedures utilised a nearby VOR to establish onto the final approach and were approved by the CAA.
Basically, if you want to do an instrument approach to an airfield, ATC must be available. :cool: