View Full Version : Type Ratings

Lump Jockey
1st Jan 2005, 16:21
Once you've passed the PPL, are you rated only for the aircraft you've learnt to fly in? What procedure should you take to be able to fly say, Cessnas instead of Pipers? And how, if applicable, expensive is it to jump between different types? I've seen lists where some pilots have flown up to 10 or more different aircraft. Do you have to get 10 or more different TR then? Cheers.
LJ.

Curtis E Carr
1st Jan 2005, 16:58
There is no separate type rating for the models to which you refer. Your average Piper and Cessna all fall under the Class Rating of Single Engine Piston (Land) (SEP(L)). Consequently, if you have trained on, say, the C172, you do not require a separate rating for the PA28. That said, it is likely that any club or school you wish to rent an aircraft from would insist on some form of training but that is a separate issue. Equally, if your are flying more complex aircraft than that on which you trained e.g. VP propeller, retractable undercarriage, turbo charged etc, you will have to carry out differences training though this does not amount to a separate type rating. I believe the only single engined piston aircraft that falls outside the SEP(L) class is the PA46 though I stand to be corrected.

JAR-FCL 1.215 (and specifically Appendix 1) refers.

stiknruda
1st Jan 2005, 17:02
The tardis is not a very helpful location in answering this question! Now it's New Year's day and some of the detail might not be perfect but the concept is.

Basically it all depends on where you fly and under which licencing authority you fly:

in the UK and the US with an old fashioned PPL you don't require type ratings under a certain MAUW (5700kilos or is it pounds?)

Eg, in RSA and Swazi and Mozambique - you need to be type rated for every aircraft type. That means a flight test and a "technical paper" to be passed for each.

Personally, especially for slightly more complex aircraft, I don't see that as a bad thing.

As a PPL many years ago, I did the KingAir 200 type rating with the late Val in Lanseria, RSA. I seem to recall that the best part of two weeks were spent on the books and the technical stuff was far harder than the flying!

Stik

Lump Jockey
1st Jan 2005, 18:11
Thanks very much. (And I'll amend the tardis location to something a little more fitting! This isn't the first time it's been brought to my attention!! Haha).
LJ.