PDA

View Full Version : Online uk ATC

nottelling
29th Dec 2004, 09:22
Hi all
A quick question for you. I am having slight trouble with my rusty RT. I was wondering if there are any websites broadcasting UK aeronautical radio (ATC, FISO etc), or any other good sites to help improve my listening skills :O. I am a poor student and a PPL so I have little spare cash to spend on scanners etc.
I would appreciate any suggestions
Thanks
NT :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Dec 2004, 09:42
Don't worry - you're not poor if you can afford a PPL!! Do what I did - get the books and learn, learn, learn. Your Flying Club must have facilities surely?

Lee Frost
29th Dec 2004, 10:37
Hi Notelling,

I suggest you buy the Oxford CD-Roms which deal with RT. There are three - you don't have to get the IFR Comms one at the PPL stage. The two to go for are

VFR RT communications
VFR Uk National Differences (not quite sure thats the title, but its along those lines)

The Trevor Thom books and CAP 413 will help as well. In fact I think CAP413 is a free PDF download, no money really is not an excuse!

http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=247

Don't forget to download the amendment as well.

Good luck,

nottelling
29th Dec 2004, 12:11
Thanks for the responses, I have the read both of the books and was looking for more of a practical learning aid. I have the theoretical knowledge but turning that into practise in the air is becoming increasingly difficult with longer periods between flights.

Squadgy
30th Dec 2004, 19:15
Hi

You won't find any sites offering live feed of UK airband R/T as it's illegal :eek:

You don't say on your profile where abouts in the UK you are, but I might be able to help out of you want to drop me a PM telling me:ok:

magpienja
30th Dec 2004, 19:57
You dont have to buy a scanner some of those cheap analogs sets for about £10.00 are not bad if you live near an airfield.

Regards Nick.

Thames virtual
31st Dec 2004, 19:39
If you fancy practising your r/t in a live simulated environment, try one of the online ATC/Flight Sim systems. I'd suggest VATSIM because that's what I'm involved in.

see www.vatsim.net and www.vatsim-uk.org

Here in the UK we do our best to simulate the real world procedures as closely as possible, and a number of our virtual controllers are real world pilots (or even in a few cases real world controllers). You can either use the controller software to observer and listen, or get your flightsimulator out, and practice flying. I'll PM you with further details.

Thames_virtual

StephenM_SMC
1st Jan 2005, 22:15
I provide live streaming of EISN CTR 119.075... There will be a link from the liveatc website soon.

I know Ireland is not the exact same as the UK, but it is pretty dam close to it! ;)

EDIT:
Ok, I have just found out that the feed is up.
Check under International (http://www.liveatc.net)