PDA

View Full Version : Callsign suffixes

Aussie Andy
28th May 2001, 22:19
Hi there,

I recently bought myself an airband radio to listen in a bit as part of my preparation for the UK PPL R/T aural exam, which I did on Saturday.

A question springs to mind regarding the mahy wierd and wonderful callsigns on the London frequencies...

I often hear e.g. "Speedbird 123", which I understand to be "BA flight 123" - but often there is a suffix, e.g. "Speedbird 123 Bravo" or somesuch.

Wondering what thats about?

Cheers,

Andy

28th May 2001, 23:18
Current thinking to avoid confusion between aircraft callsigns and heading/level changes/other instructions is to have a mixed callsign consisting of company - number - letter, eg. Shuttle 9 papa.

Some operators use the suffixes to show a routing or destination, e.g. Suckling 917D to Dundee, others mean nothing at all.

Some are downright confusing, eg. BRY73PH to Glasgow!

Bright-Ling
29th May 2001, 00:11
1261, the BRY73PH to Glasgow is the ONLY one that makes sense!!

Aussie........were you asking for a visit to LF??

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 28 May 2001).]

10W
29th May 2001, 02:49
Bright-Ling

As PH is Edinburgh and PF is Glasgow, how does BRY73PH make sense ?? Would be quite easy for me to take that one to the wrong destination ;)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

form49
29th May 2001, 03:47
BRY73PH doesn't exist anymore after someone at Scottish got confused and turned it for PH, the subsequent 1261 sorted out the problem, they're now BRY XX PL or something non descript like that, I like the tongue twisters they come up with, can never get my teeth around the BMA 9NL, or many like that!!

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established

chiglet
29th May 2001, 10:23
The "original" alpha numeric callsign was Britania Aiwaya BY123A/B to stop "Continental" ATC confusing them with DanAir!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th May 2001, 10:55
They're all screwy. Go back to reggies I say!

Precise enunciation is all that is necessary to avoid callsign confusion. Unfortunately I don't think this is emphasised at the College of Knowledge. Some trainees I've heard are obviously moonlighting as racing commentators!

Bright-Ling
29th May 2001, 10:55
10 W

My sincerity was wasted there - it was a sarcastic stab at the morons at the airlines who come up with these callsigns!!!

Most days approaching LL via TC saber/Dagga:

LAJ6702 and 6722 in trail to Lambourne. When will they ever learn.

-------------------------------------------

"Irony is like goldy - only cheaper"

Aussie Andy
29th May 2001, 13:17
Hi everyone,

Bright-ling: Yes I will be visiting LF on Sat 7/7/01 all being well, together with another mate from BAFC (Booker). Turns out to be too expensive to alnd there though(!), so we're going to get a taxi over from Blackbushe... Have exchanged emails with Bob G. on this (presumably not you?).

Thanks everyone else - I now have come insight into the callsigns I hear - I had no idea it was such a confusing issue!

Cheers,

Andy