PDA

View Full Version : ATC training

N-1074
28th May 2001, 00:59
I'm considering a career move into ATC and have passed the NATS selection tests (final interview in a few weeks).

What I want to know is whether it is feasible to get taken on by a non-NATS unit and be trained by them or sent to do specific NATS courses.

Also, does anybody know who runs Liverpool tower, if so who the personnel contact is??

Cheers

niteflite01
28th May 2001, 02:05
Liverpool ATC is run by Liverpool Airport PLC at the moment. I have no idea with regards to their personnel section - the SATCO, Mr Kelly, is a really really nice chap so he may be able to help.

I would say however that, as far as I'm aware, Liverpool do not recruit non-qualified ATCO staff. I suspect the best, or most probable, entry route would be to get a post as an ATSA and work your way up from there.

I happen to know that Liverpool are very very keen for their ATSA staff to do this and will support them 100% of the way. Excellent and nice to see :)

I can't comment on any other employers / non-NATS units sorry :)

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

28th May 2001, 15:05
Best thing to do is stick with NATS until you get your first validations, then apply as a qualified ATCO. NATS will pay for all your training, you're not bonded in any way (at present), and finding work at regional airports is generally easier once qualified.

I visited Liverpool recently; they've a nice setup there now, new tower coming along nicely, getting SSR in the autumn, and getting ever busier by the day. I can understand why this appeals to you!