View Full Version : Runway Four....or Runway Zero Four?

squeakmail
27th Feb 2000, 08:13
Hi...another pilot phraseology question for you.

Having read my UK CAP413 R/T book...I was taught to use two figure numbers for reporting runways....and I agree (not that makes any difference).

I now fly in the USA...and have just heard that one of my common airfields has mandated to pilots that it will refer to the main runway as "Runway Four...NOT Runway Zero Four".

I'd be curious to know if this is in accordance with ICAO, if this is just another USA 'opt out' of International standards or, if this is just the grumpy old sod at the airfield trying to have everything his own way.

What is the ICAO standard phrase and what is the FAA mandated phrase according to the good book of words to be used?

I know if I'd refered to "Runway Four" when I used to fly into Heathrow and Manchester, they would have become very upset....but that just could be because neither Heathrow or Manchester have a Runway (Zero) Four.

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

2 six 4
27th Feb 2000, 21:11
What was the phrase ? Two nations separated by a common language.

The US seem to adopt their own ways and ICAO is a secondary thought. That goes to lots of operations and procedures. What about their phrase " clear to land" ? You will get that anytime on final approach with landing, departing and crossing traffic still to use the runway before you.

Air Traffic Jim - but not as we know it !!

ATCO Two
28th Feb 2000, 04:43
Hi squeakmail,

At Heathrow about a million years ago, (probably the late sixties actually), the Southern parallel (runway 10R/28L in those days), also used to be known as runway 5. Thus it was important to stress that an aircraft was cleared to cross runway "zero five" (the cross runway). I believe that on several occasions there was still confusion leading to runway incursions on 10R/28L. After these incidents the phraseology was always "cross runway 23" reducing any chance of misinterpretation. All academic now since 05 in no longer available.
The moral of the story is: use the full runway designator in the UK, although you may hear the odd 9L or 9R - basically slack RTF.