PDA

View Full Version : CF Helicopter ferries

Smurfjet
27th Dec 2004, 06:26
Was reading some info on the CAF website and it got me wondering how did they transport the Helicopters to the various theaters, like europe or the gulf.

Did they fly them there, or air-lift them?

rotornut
27th Dec 2004, 15:56
I recall reading that a Sea King had to be transported by freighter to the Gulf not too long ago. I believe it was to replace one that crrashed

offshoreigor
27th Dec 2004, 21:26
Smurfjet,

In most cases, where a trans-ocean transport is required, it is more cost effective to ferry a helicopter via coastal routes. This is very time consuming therefore the preferred method is by either Freighter or Airline, depending on the size of the heli.

We have positioned many Medium and Heavy helicopters via ferry flight but in most cases, contracts are very time sensitive.

Cheers,

:ok: OffshoreIgor :ok:

Corax
31st Dec 2004, 05:47
Our choppers are usually transported by ship these days if the theatre of operation is overseas. In the mid 1980's we did ship our Bell 212s to the Sinai via a USAF C-5 Galaxy.

Recently the Bell 412s we deployed to Kosovo and Bosnia were shipped to and from by ship.

On this side of the pond, helos will often self deploy. The Griffons recently sent to Haiti were flown down by 430 Squadron of Valcartier Quebec.

Smurfjet
1st Jan 2005, 21:17
Thanks for the response guys, and happy new year.