PDA

View Full Version : Flybe Interview & Sim (merged)

Mrs Betty Swollocks
26th Dec 2004, 12:40
I have a Flybe interview coming up and was wondering if anyone has been to a Flybe interview recently? Have already done a search but couldn't find anything from recent interviews.

Any info regarding tech questions etc would be much appreciated also who does the interviewing etc

Thanks again in advance

Mrs S

Whispering Giant
26th Dec 2004, 15:34
Capt Eddy Dank's - training Capt 146, Ms Joanna Soper - Head of Op's Admin and Don Darby - Flight deck personnel manager are the people that carry out the interviews.

brgds
W.G

matzpenetration
26th Dec 2004, 23:38
Format has changed a little with the introduction of Eddie Danks. Essentially you still need to know the basics:- Company history, fleet size and breakdown, major milestones in recent company history, no. of bases and where, some tech info on the Q400. Why a turboprop over a jet, advantages of t'prop over jet and disadvantages, problems operating to a limit of FL250 with straight wing design i.e. icing. What are ice protection systems of the Dash. T-tail problems (stalling etc...). What problems have Flybe had with the Q400 since its introduction.

I joined 2 years ago and I know things have changed. If you can find out the tech format of the interview but need some info on the Dash and the company then e-mail me and I'd be happy to help. There has been a surge of resignations recently so you stand a very good chance of getting hired as long as your sim performance is good. Flybe is a good company to start your career as a commercial pilot. Don't take too much notice of some of the negative comments about the company as these apply to 90% of all airlines these days anyway.

Best of luck!

Drew Peacock
28th Dec 2004, 13:27
Hi,

I've done a search, and I have a few really nice tips, but if anyone else would care to add to this I (and a few others I suspect) would be grateful.

Thanks

wings11
28th Dec 2004, 19:47
Mrs S

Good luck with your interview, when is it? Also can you help me out with info on your background, how many hours do you have, is this a direct entry interview or for the Flybe part sponsorship they have recently re-started? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

W11

Drew Peacock
29th Dec 2004, 15:03
Errm, matzpenetration I tried emailing you but no joy. Can you email me perhaps?

Mrs Betty Swollocks
31st Dec 2004, 17:55
Anyone have any idea how many being interviewed and for how many positions ?

Good luck to those who have an interview

Might see some of you down there on the 4th

Hopefully it'll be a happy new year !!!

BS:ok:

Artificial Horizon
31st Dec 2004, 20:51
Lot's of resignations at flybe within the last couple of months coupled with an expanding fleet means that a sizable number of new pilots are needed. The number I have heard bandied about it 30 new pilots need to be on line for the summer programme.

Good luck all.

matzpenetration
1st Jan 2005, 02:16
DrewPeacock

Info sent to your private message inbox.

ATIS
1st Jan 2005, 15:14
To all those seeking employment, now would be a very good time to contact Flybe again. 20 peeps have resigned in the last week alone, and the company know that there are more to follow.

Good luck

License to Fly
1st Jan 2005, 20:39
Why are they all leaving Flybe ATIS ?

LTF

Mrs Betty Swollocks
2nd Jan 2005, 10:23
License to fly

I've been told that people are leaving for jet jobs not that there is a problem with the company but seems that everyone is moving up a notch on that ladder !!!

I think Flybe and the Q400 would be perfect to start your career with !!!

BS:ok:

smudge10
2nd Jan 2005, 16:30
matzpenetration. I have left you a PM.

Madeofmoney
5th Jan 2005, 17:25
I've got to Final Interview for FlyBe Part Sponsorship 2005, but surprisingly its not this that is concerning me. Like everyone else I'm going to have to borrow my contributiuon (£33K) and have prepared a business plan and arranged an interview with HSBC.

I have been told that the earliest I can expect a decision on this is towards the end of January. Naturally, trying to be the good candidate I thought it nessesary to inform Cabair and keep them upto date with the financial side (probably too honest!), but now there wanting proof of a back-up???!!!

I have no house, no rich family, so if the bank refuse my loan application what else can I do? Are there any other banks that offer a similar loan? There must be others out there in a similar predicament...

EGAC_Ramper
5th Jan 2005, 19:02
Check your PM's

Regards

Drew Peacock
6th Jan 2005, 11:42
I believe the interviews have been going on this week. Does anyone know how long they'll be interviewing for, and when they'll give the nod/shake of the head to the candidates??

ATIS
6th Jan 2005, 13:35
First of all let me say that there is absolutely no problem with Flybe.

If selected you will work with the finest bunch around. I did a flight the other day and was laughing through most of it.

As mentioned b4, for most people its time to move on. Many people aspire to fly long haul and thats where the majority are moving to, First Choice, Monarch and BA. The days of people jumping ship from Flybe to Easyjet are well and truly over.

With Flybe performing very well, and with 146 replacements on the agenda, it can only get better. I have been very well treated by Flybe.

Good luck to you all that are applying. You will definitely enjoy it

carlos vandango
6th Jan 2005, 17:07
ATIS the lack of exodus to EZY may have more to do with EZY not hiring so much at the minute! Do the maths..who wants £46k for a jet command if they can almost double it on a 73 or 319??
I hear most of the troops are off to Monarch..good luck to them! Onwards and upwards! The people of Flybe were always a great bunch. As for the management, well that's another story. Buy 19's or 737's and up the jet wages then they'll keep more crew. As long as Flybe concentrates on Q400's it will be a transitory airline. It is however a good place to start!
PS :Is it true that about 30 guys resigned last friday?

Nil further
7th Jan 2005, 09:33
ATIS

you are living in fantasy land if you think that people are choosing to stay at flybe over EZY .
I have to agree with Carlos on that one .

Most of the people who wanted to go were interviewed over the last couple of years (not all the ones who failed it will admit to it).
EZY havent interviewed for a couple of months and they have recently increased there minimum entry requirements.

I do accept that there are a number of folk at flybe who are happy with the base they have ie. GCI JER and will never leave for that reason.

If current rumours are true that must be around 150 people left flybe in the last 2 years ,glad im not paying for all that training !

Still a great first job though for those are lucky enough to get the interview . Good Luck.

NF

philltowns
7th Jan 2005, 11:19
With a name like Madeofmoney, I didnt think that'd be a problem :O

ATIS
7th Jan 2005, 15:19
I'm sure that there are many in Flybe who would like to move to Easyjet. I can think of a few straight away. But since Easy now ask the pilots to foot the bill, these guys have suddenly decided to stay put until Easy change their conditions. However I know that their are a handful of guys still leaving for Easyjet, most probably Q400 crews.

Still the numbers leaving for Easy are way down compared to previous years. I guess more airlines recruiting at the moment helps the situation

Jockflyer
7th Jan 2005, 17:17
Sorry to break up the Eazy vs Flybe argument.

Just wondered if anyone has heard anything from this weeks interviews.

I tried to call Jo Soper at 1630 today, but she'd gone home for the weekend, and no-one else had any info.

I understand there are sim slots at Woodford on Friday, and a course starting on the following Monday.

Unless letters were sent today which will arrive tomorrow, then it could be a long weekend of stewing.

Good luck to all.

Cheers

JF

Hoping
7th Jan 2005, 17:36
My my, what a coincidence, I was in EXACTLY that position a few years ago. I and ten others had been informed we had got to the final interview and that there were six places up for grabs. I really thought I had it until I tried to confirm with my "back up" person that they would be my financial guarantor.

As I remember, I needed financial security not only for the £33k bank loan but also for the £20k Flybe was going to pay towards the course and on top of that another £20k or so for the type rating to be funded by flybe after the course. That is a total of about £33k + £20k + £20k = £73k worth of financial security required by the bank and flybe.

Needless to say, I like you it would appear, did not have the security and neither did my parents (they live in a council house which they don't even own.) In my desperation I wrote to the few people who could have offered their houses as security only to be ignored and refused.

You are going to need to find somebody (perhaps your parents own a house worth more than £70k) willing to cover the bank loan and flybe's contributions in the case that things go wrong.

Start writing the begging letters and good luck!!

windsaloft
7th Jan 2005, 18:35
Has anyone who applied to the advert in the Guernsey Press for turbo prop first officers had a reply yet from flybe?

c_jephcott
7th Jan 2005, 19:16
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm guessing that this is the right place to post this message, but being relatively new to here, if I'm wrong, I'm sure that someone will correct me!

Anyway... basically, I'm in the 2nd year of a 3 year course at University and I'm studying History and Politics (yes... it's not greatly relevant to aviation, but it was the way things worked out in the end!), and carrying on from a life long ambition I have had, I would still very much love to be an airline pilot... however, due to financial constraints, I have managed to get myself a PPL and a few more hours afterwards, but sadly, there is no way that I will be able to afford the self-sponsorship route or self-improvement, so the best option is sponsorship... which leads onto the main issue of this message...

I have been looking at a number of schemes recently, and have deduced that both the FlyBE and CTC schemes are probably best suited to my requirements, and as such I am planning to apply to both at the end of studying.

So does anybody have any feedback at all with regards to the schemes at all? I have heard that there may be a few items in the FlyBE scheme which might make it less attractive than it seems? Can anybody comment on this?

Also, does anybody know any other possible schemes that can be offered? I have looked at Brittania, but sadly I have been put off by the fact that they require a Physics A-level at Grade C and preferably a related degree - my physics A-level result fell just 1 mark short of that, and few could argue that my degree is related to aviation, so I don't know if it would be worth applying to them too?

Anyway, could anybody just give me some advice if possible?

Cheers

Chris,
[email protected]

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Jan 2005, 10:19
You may already be aware of this, but the selection process for sponsorship schemes, is very very competitive. Don't get me wrong, you may be successful and I hope you are, but if being an airline pilot is really you life long ambition, why not have plan 'B' up your sleeve?

I know you have said that it is not possible to self sponsor, but why not? If you wanted it badly enough you could get a job and save the required money to fund the training. It may be a long drawn out process, however, it would most definately be worth it.

c_jephcott
9th Jan 2005, 12:16
Yep, I have been made very aware of the competative nature of applying for sponsorship - isn't the statistic somewhere along the lines of 1 in 1500 actually makes it? Still, I am very prepared to give it my very best shot and see where that will take me - with any luck, hopefully, I'll get past the first round - although I do not fear the mathematical tests, I do slightly worry about the verbal reasoning ones!!

Having said that, I think a contingency plan is a good idea though, obviously with those odds, it makes it look almost impossible.

I was also thinking about applying for the GAPAN J.N. Somers sponsorship too - which of course would provide me with a frozen ATPL.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, and I'll certainly take them onboard when applying to the airlines...

Cheers and all the best

Chris

Vee One...Rotate
10th Jan 2005, 11:25
When I was at the Flyer show 2004 (at Heathrow) the CTC representative there mentioned a figure of around 1/50 being successfull (i.e. 2%). The scheme has recently had a face lift so what effects this will have on the statistic I don't know...

Definately worth your while going to the 2005 Flyer show - all of the main flightschools and the (few!) sponsors are usually there. Keep an eye out.

Interesting to hear you say that you're confident with the maths but not so much looking forward to the verbal reasoning...thought it'd be the other way around what with doing a history and politics degree...! :p

Best of luck anyway,

V1R :ok:

P.S. See you're near Peterborough/Leicester - currently doing my PPL at Leicestershire Aero Club since leaving uni. Small world...

c_jephcott
10th Jan 2005, 11:43
I was at Leicestershire Aero Club for the last year actually - until I got worked under with essays and now I have taken the move back to Peterborough Sibson, where I am continuing to try my very best to further my hours and keep myself up to date!

When is the Flyer show? I will sound frightfully vague on this, but I really don't know any dates for it at all - but would be more than happy to head down there and see what it is like, and hopefully get some more opinions on the world of aviation as a career.

1 in 50 sounds like better odds to me! :-)

jhorton
10th Jan 2005, 12:36
Hi guys,
I'm new to PPrune and have been having a browse through the various threads. While there seems to be no end of information on the CTC wings scheme, I can't find out much on the FlyBe sponsorship. The link to pilot sponsorship on their website is a dead end. Is this because its an annual scheme that isn't open to 2006 applicants yet? If so do you have any idea when it may open up or where I can find out more about it?
Thanks

jhorton
10th Jan 2005, 12:41
Hi guys,
I'm new to PPrune and have been having a browse through the various threads. Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask this question...

While there seems to be no end of information on the CTC wings scheme, I can't find out much on the FlyBe sponsorship. The link to pilot sponsorship on their website is a dead end. Is this because its an annual scheme that isn't open to 2006 applicants yet? If so do you have any idea when it may open up or where I can find out more about it?
Thanks

J

Vee One...Rotate
10th Jan 2005, 12:47
Think it was around November last year - Autumn anyway. Presume it'll be a similar time in 2005.

V1R

EGAC_Ramper
10th Jan 2005, 13:02
Usually the FlyBE sponsorship comes along every Oct/Nov time.So you've just missed it and will have to wait til Nov this year.

Regards:O

Jockflyer
10th Jan 2005, 14:12
Got the call this afternoon inviting me for a sim check later this month. I understand that if successful, there is a course starting 7 Feb initially in Exeter.

If anyone can give me info re the format of the sim check then I would be very grateful.

Congrats to those who got a similar call.

Cheers

JF

Jockflyer
10th Jan 2005, 14:14
Hi,

Got the call this afternoon inviting me for a sim check later this month. If anyone can give me info re the format of the sim check then I would be very grateful.

Thanks

JF

flyinghome
10th Jan 2005, 14:47
hello Jockflyer,

sorry i dont have any info on the sim for flybe, but i was wondering if you have already done an interview with flybe and how many hours do you have or whats your previous backround?

cheers mate, and again sorry i dont have any info for you, but good luck with the sim!!

fh.

tomcs
10th Jan 2005, 15:07
Hi Jockflyer!

I have a sim assessment with them this friday on the BAe 146 @ BAe Woodford, Manchester.

I think it involves two 'hopefuls' flying as a crew doing things like GH and a radar vectored ILS.

Apparently if we pass the course starts a week today!

Tom

Jockflyer
10th Jan 2005, 15:18
Tomcs, Congrats. Sent you a PM

jhorton
10th Jan 2005, 16:30
Thanks guys... timing should be just right with me graduating this summer.

V1R... where in leicestershire are u? as I fly out of NEMA.

Vee One...Rotate
10th Jan 2005, 17:41
jhorton,

I'm currently at the circuit-bashing stage of a PPL out of Leicester Airport (EGBG) - just SE of Leicester. Figured I wouldn't have to spend (literally!) half my lesson waiting for commercial traffic to do its thang if I was at a small club airport. It's also the oldest in the country apparently...

A whopping 6h 40 m in the logbook so far...looooong way to go. Just finished uni and planning to apply for sponsorship after I've got the PPL.

V1R :ok:

er82
10th Jan 2005, 18:03
Congrats to all of you who have passed the interview and got a sim check. Being a current FlyBE-er, PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

jhorton
11th Jan 2005, 09:22
V1R,
Flying GA from NEMA does get a bit tiresome sometimes with the big jets getting priority... but i guess they have paid for the privilege!
I'm currently the chairman of Loughborough students flying club, so if you're ever in the area and want some likeminded conversation gives me a shout.
Best of luck with the flying... first solo soon!

c_jephcott
11th Jan 2005, 10:17
Jhorton - there's a Loughborough Students Flying Club? :) Please tell me more!!!! :8

Sadly, I have to admit that Leicester is being a bit backward looking - a while ago someone tried to start up a flying club and they told them to go away.

Leicester University, that is!!

Vee One...Rotate
11th Jan 2005, 15:38
c_jephcott,

I'm an ex-Leicester uni-er - what course are you doing?

jhorton,

Will do mate - wish I'd done some flying while at uni. Was originally on a 4-year course which made me too old on graduation to apply to the East Midlands UAS when I started... :(

P.S. Think the thread's run its course hence the hijacking...!

V1R :)

c_jephcott
11th Jan 2005, 20:01
well, it's BA History and Politics... which is not relevant in any way to aviation. Which course were you on?

The UAS told me to go away because I had civilian training. Which was nice of them.

Jockflyer
11th Jan 2005, 20:33
Hi,

Don't wish to be cheeky, but if you want to talk about PPLs, first solo's and UAS's then perhaps do it on the appropriate forum.

This thread is meant to be about Flybe. People, ie me, are trying to find out stuff to help get us a job.

c_jephcott
11th Jan 2005, 21:01
Sorry... my apologies for going off on a tangent.

Going back to my original post, does anyone actually have any ideas as to what the FlyBE sponsorship actually entails? I'm hoping to speak to someone about it tomorrow, but I can't say for certain whether or not I will get through.

Also, what are peoples views about the FlyBE sponsorship scheme?

Chris

Vee One...Rotate
11th Jan 2005, 22:57
Jockflyer,

Fair point - I was too lazy to sign-in and send a PM while at work today so just posted on the thread. Apologies.

c_jephcott,

Have you persused the fairly large thread on the last FlyBE sponsorship (i.e. the one that opened towards the end of last year)? It may be useful:

So you want to Fly...BE? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145452&highlight=FlyBE)

Good luck chaps/chapettes :ok:

V1R

jhorton
12th Jan 2005, 10:36
Guys,
If you want to know about LSFC check our website www.lsflying.org

As for FlyBe... roll on 2006 applications!

Drew Peacock
13th Jan 2005, 07:36
Does anyone know where I can find a flight deck photo of the 146 (preferably in flight), or a schematic of some sort?

It'll help in getting to know the layout and help to practice the scan.

I've tried airliners.net but couldn't find anything suitable.

Thanks in advance.

electriclightfoot
18th Jan 2005, 13:20
Hi folks....

I'm up for a FlyBE interview tomorrow and have been surfing around on here looking for possible interview questions etc. I found some and made light of them but a couple of them have left me scratching my head. Is there any bright sparks out there that can help me?

1) For a given altitude, speed etc., why is a straight wing aircraft more susceptible to icing than a swept wing aircraft?

2) What initial problems, if any, did FlyBE have with the Dash 8 Q series

3) Is LCY (London City) a base?

My guess or attempt at question 1 above is that a straight wing aircraft represents more of a frontal profile to the airflow than a swept wing? Hmmm maybe not........:confused:

Any other info that may help would be much appreciated guys & gals :ok:

speedbird145
18th Jan 2005, 13:48
hi sorry thi s is slightly unrelated to the question u asked but how many hours do u have and how old are you.
Good luck with the interview.

er82
18th Jan 2005, 14:42
Hi.

LCY is not a base. In fact we ceased to operate there on 9th Jan.

Initial problems with the Q400 - lots of tech problems, lack of spare parts, little understanding of the systems.

Good Luck

tomcs
18th Jan 2005, 15:34
Hi,

They are very hot on your knowledge of the company's history right from inception in 1979 i think it was!

They asked me to explain the stall as if they were PPL students ( i'm an FI) and then we had a discussion about wing-in-ground effect!

I also got questions about fleet size....number of destinations and routes along with testing my knowledge of their expansion plans!

just keep calm and think before you speak!

Found out that i got through yesterday and i start the type rating on Jan 31st!!

Tom

electriclightfoot
18th Jan 2005, 19:10
Thanks guys for your input :ok:

ehgi r20
18th Jan 2005, 20:11
Well done you guys.
I have to ask, did you send out cold CV's on email, get put forward by your flight school OR become a flybe phone stalker !!!

Enjoy.........

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Jan 2005, 20:20
Speed Bird 145,

Check Electrics profile, looks like he/she has not long finished with Cabair.

witchdoctor
19th Jan 2005, 10:15
Eddie Danks is an ex-mil guy, so if he interviwews you give him nothing but name, rank and number.;)

"I cannot answer that question".

Seriously, pretty straightforward interview, no nasty stuff, lots of emphasis on the personal side and maybe 2 or 3 questions on the theory topic of the day.

As for turboprop icing, go have a look through the AICs. You'll find one there that answers that very question.

HandspringGuy
19th Jan 2005, 20:02
So how do you think it went.
Do you think they liked you?

:ok:

DTYSAPCO
19th Jan 2005, 20:06
Quite a few people up at Cabair today interviewing

Julius
19th Jan 2005, 20:21
Tell me guys, are they taking on low timers? What experience do you (the ones that already had an interview) have and how old are you?
Regarding the first question I think that has something to do with spanwise flow and direction of the airflow realative to the leading edge!
Good luck with your interview!
Julius

electriclightfoot
20th Jan 2005, 05:40
I had the interview and it went quite well. They asked me all about myself, nothing on the Q400 or FlyBE history. The 2 questions posed were:

1) Tell about the weather at Cranfield?

2) Why does a hatchback have a rear windscreen wiper and a saloon doesn't?

The second question caught me on the back foot a little as it was totally unexpected. I told him (Eddie Danks) I wasn't completely sure but I'd guess that form drag behind a hatch (which doesn't have a protruding boot) builds up and an adverse pressure gradient circulates the air depositing rain onto the rear screen. He nodded approvingly at my attempt. It was an awkward question to answer on the spot but I had a go at it. Expect the unexpexted.......

witchdoctor
20th Jan 2005, 18:24
Mix of experience levels, but most were low hours, 200-500 TT.

sideloader
22nd Feb 2005, 13:09
Hi,

When is going to stop the hiring process at Flybe?.

Are true the rumours for another batch of interviews in April?

And if you pass the interview and the sim ride, what base is likely to be assigned?

Cheers.

liketofly
10th Mar 2005, 13:26
Hi peeps,

This is the first time I'm using Pprune. But relating to this subject, yesterday I got called by Flybe. Next thursday i'm invited to have an application in Birmingham.
Are there more interview questions available other than those stated in this topic?

Thanks, Liketofly

Maude Charlee
11th Mar 2005, 09:30
Surprised they're interviewing again so soon, especially as they still haven't sim checked their last bunch of interviewees. Progress is proving rather slow.