PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Fokker 100s in Europe?

buddyp
23rd Dec 2004, 16:14
Have you noticed all the Fokker 100s being imported from the States to Europe recently? I know that Austrian arrows/Tyrolean have bought a few but there must be others as well… I’ve heard that some of these aircraft are former American Airlines a/c otherwise doomed to a long and slow death somewhere in an American dessert.

Now I’m just wondering why AA would want to long-term park such nice a/c… I once heard half a story about it having something to do with a union agreement, meaning that AA were better off parking the Fokkers and acquiring brand new aircraft with a different seating capacity. But like I said… it’s just something I heard.

Would someone out there care to correct and/or further enlighten me on this matter?

/bp

Dog Driver
23rd Dec 2004, 18:07
I thought it was after fokker went belly up and parts became to expensive compaired to other options.

the_flying_cop
24th Dec 2004, 14:54
the fokkers are everywhere

merry christmas

(sorry)

HZ123
24th Dec 2004, 15:55
Lease rates very low. Serviceability good and the seating of 3-3 makes them reasonably good to operate adn return a low actual seat per kilometre outlay.

WHBM
24th Dec 2004, 16:02
A significant number of Fokkers have gone to Jetsgo in Canada.

Such aircraft are no longer popular in the US because of union agreements called "scope clauses" which make it more efficient for US carriers to use Canadair/Embraer RJs rather than the Fokkers. (This is a gross generalisation which those closer to the situation will doubtless have a contribution to make).

Fokker 100 seating is 2+3.

Farrell
26th Dec 2004, 13:13
My mate's just starting his training on the 100 this month! I know it's off topic, but it's christmas! :)

Squawk7777
26th Dec 2004, 13:45
The APA scope prohibits regional airliners that fly for AA on the American Connection side (Chautauqua, Trans States and Corpex) to operate aircraft with more than 50 seats - even if those aircraft are used for another code share (United, USAir or Delta). I suppose APA wants to save the mainline by preventing regionals to operate bigger equipment for lower pilot rates (why American Eagle can operate CRJ 700s is a mystery to me). Therefore, Chautauqua created Republic to operate 70 seaters on their alter ego. Trans States is to follow.

Fokker 100s were unpopular with AA because of their limited performance. South of the border, in Mexico, Mexicana Airlines is planning to phase them out by 2005, performance issues were cited as well.

F100s for regionals. What a nightmare! :uhoh:

7 7 7 7

FLEXJET
26th Dec 2004, 14:57
The Fokker 100s parked in the desert are sold at around $1 million at this time.
Good deal I think.

Alpine Flyer
30th Dec 2004, 00:57
Austrian Airlines/Arrows are getting a total of 16 Fokker 100s.

Germania is also operating quite a few.

The price is unbeatable, about 1/3 of a new Embraer 170 when fully "restored".

Ours look like new with a new paintjob, galley and interior.