PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's snow, and possible incident at Frankfurt

ramsrc
23rd Dec 2004, 05:41
Quite a snowy afternoon here yesterday.

Apart from the usual traffic chaos that accompanied the snow, the local radio were reporting (this morning) a turbo prop airliner with around 20 passengers on board slid off piste at Frankfurt.

No other details were mentioned, so hope all was Ok.

ramsrc
23rd Dec 2004, 06:57
As an update:

Apparently it was a Eurowings ATR72 inbound from Münster with 28 Passengers on board. The aircraft slid off piste shortly after leavng the runway. Nobody was injured, aircraft suffered undercarriage damage. One runway was closed overnight (reopened around 06:00), hence delays to arrivals/departures.

big.al
23rd Dec 2004, 13:11
"....slid off piste....." eh? I've done that a few times, but then I'm not a great skier...

How much do you have to pay for a lift pass for an ATR72? ;)

BEagle
23rd Dec 2004, 13:15
People moan about the speed RyanAir allegedly use for taxying - yet that's quite pedestrian compared to the speeds I've noticed when paxing in EuroWings ATR-72s at FRA.... Not speculating on the cause of this incident, just stating my personal observations from past experience of some EW taxying.

WestWind1950
23rd Dec 2004, 18:40
the event was supposedly not due to the icy conditions (and yes, it was very icy in these parts yesterday) and is being investigated by the authorities. Cause lots of delays. Up-dates surely to come soon.....

Westy

TE RANGI
23rd Dec 2004, 22:35
Inbound inflight delays eexceeded 1 hr yesterday around 2100lt.
Luckyly it did not amount to that much for us (and we'd taken plenty of extra fuel).

An Eurowings ATR had skidded off a high speed turn off blocking rwy 25R. Braking action at the time was being reported as med to poor.

Great to hear no one was hurt.

Capt.KAOS
24th Dec 2004, 08:44
Time to fit the tire chains?