PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldsway job?

Co ordination unaffected
18th May 2001, 00:39
In Fright last week. Anyone ever worked there? If so what's it like? (Island, airport etc)
Anyone work there now, and like to comment on working conditions etc?
TIA

------------------
Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days.

monkey boy
18th May 2001, 00:54
I worked on the Island for about 19 months once, (not as an ATCO) and did a bit of flying from the place. It seemed to have its moments.

As for the Island, the tax is advantageous, particulary the upper band, but it is a little odd. You can buy a loaf of bread at one end of the Island, and someone you've never met at the other end knows about it almost as quickly as you do.

If you fancy the quiet life (away from work anyway) it's Ok

70,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock adequately describes it. 70,001 when I got there.

D8 should love it!

driver 8
19th May 2001, 01:07
Have you put in your application yet Monkey Boy?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

D8

monkey boy
19th May 2001, 16:32
CA. If you like driving more than 30 miles in any given direction forget it, but if you like going round in circles very fast, then you'll have a whale of a time.(No speed limits outside towns & villages)
I know I had a whale of a time when I was there, but I think the memories may not be true to life, and consequently D8, have a spare application form sitting here if you fancy assaulting your liver.

Again

PS The X - ray department there is OK if you suffer another mishap, but they lost the best member of staff about 3 years ago!

atprider
19th May 2001, 20:10
From my personal experience the troops in ATC on the rock seem a decent bunch, however things do tend to move somewhat slowly. A promised ILS on 08 and much needed ATIS have been somewhat slow to materialise, and a new taxiway that no-one appeared to want appeared last year causing chaos all round. But I suppose the tax is low , and yep, plenty of alcoholics ( some don't even fly ! )

boynefly
19th May 2001, 20:57
The ATIS and 08 ILS are coming online in June I think.
I noticed that the job was only temporary though?

Intel
19th May 2001, 23:28
There is currently someone at CATC on the course from Ronaldsway. I presume this is why it is temporary.

Who would want to live on Fraggle Rock anyway?

[This message has been edited by Intel (edited 19 May 2001).]

old boy
20th May 2001, 19:44
Err Intel actually I would and I do and I think our ATC crew here are some of the friendliest people I have ever worked with!

------------------
What the hell is CRM anyway ...ahhh Captain's Right Mate

Capt. Horrendous
21st May 2001, 12:00
Life on the IOM is great. From the financial point of view, someone who earns £40,000 pa will take home £500 per month more than someone on the same pay in the UK - I know, I transferred here a few years ago.

Agree with Oldboy, from the Pilot's point of view ATC are spot on - there is lots of contact socially between the local pilots and the ATCers - which is good.

Ronaldsway Airport itself, not a bad place to work.

While I'm here...that new taxiway is the biggest waste of money I've seen for some time. We now have acute turns which fling the cabin crew all over the aeroplane during their demos and tyres being worn out at a greater rate than normal, WHAT THE HECK was wrong with the old Northern taxiway. It is interesting to note that when we could still choose whether to use the old or the new, we chose the old, so Mr M put cones across the northern to hide his blushes. That's about the only moan I've got about the place.

Where is Mr M, haven't seen him for a while ?.

------------------
Horry Snr.

Intel
22nd May 2001, 02:10
Old Boy,

I stand corrected. I will have to visit your island some day.

Intel

jabberwok
23rd May 2001, 06:04
Capt H,

Fraggle Rock ground staff are suggesting that Mr. M has been retired on grounds of ill health. Must ask the Rumour Office aka FBU..