PDA

View Full Version : Runway to use?

Controller to be!!!
15th May 2001, 19:19
Hello all again :),

When reading around the subject I seem to get the idea that the MAX tailwind for most aircraft is 15knots. Is this correct?

Therefore taking the example of Heathrow winds 080@9.

That gives a tail wind for 27 of 8.2knts.

So would you continue to use 27's because it is only a 8kt tailwind or would you use 09's in this case?

This is saying that 27 was the preferential.

I hope that makes sence, but if not I will try and re phrase.

Thanks a lot once again

CTB!!! :)

Warped Factor
15th May 2001, 19:55
CTB,

The 27's are the preferentials at Heathrow, but the limits are....

tailwind not greater than 5kts,

runway surface is dry, and

associated crosswind component does not exceed 12kts.

Each aircraft will have its own individual max tailwind component, but most should be able to cope with the above.

WF.

fweeeeep
15th May 2001, 20:37
Also, the max tail wind component that an aircraft can handle, would be assuming an endless runway and not a hot day.

When one starts to increase the tailwind component, the runway length required will also start to increase and outside temprature also plays a part (anyway).

When considering the use of a runway that has a tailwind component, other factors may become critical.

chiglet
15th May 2001, 20:44
At EGCC, the "normal" max tailwind component is 5kts to stay on 24/preferential runway. BUT if there is a "significant" tailwind on approach, then a switch is in order.
eg, today, surface wind "calm", but 1000' wind 060/08-13kts so 06 was in use

Controller to be!!!
16th May 2001, 18:48
Thanks a lot chaps/Chapesses

CTB!!! :)

Max Angle
17th May 2001, 20:32
Max tailwind for most jets is ten knots. It does make a huge difference in how much runway you use up. In the performance book for the A321 the actual (ie. no safety factors added) landing distance increases by 25% on a dry runway with 10kts tail.

Direct Turnberry
21st May 2001, 02:03
The B757 has a 15 knot tailwind limit, but that is the limit. Landing with a 15 knot tailwind is normally a pretty bad idea. As an aside autolands have more restrictive minima. Someone wise once said " A bird has a brain the size of a pea, but even it won't take off with a tailwind."