PDA

View Full Version : Info for a Newbee Please!!

Little Fly Girl
15th May 2001, 01:53
Hi, Wannabe question I'm affraid....

I am just about to take my (final) A-Level exams and would like employment as an ATCO (not going to uni). I have loads of questions that I would love to find answers to....so can anyone here help?! (I am new to the world of ATCOs, and to be honest....don't really have much knowledge yet, just doing a spot of research! :) )

Okay, here goes...

1. What qualifications are required to start training?

2. Do you need to fund training yourself? (ie like following a self-sponsored ATPL route for example...)

3. How long is the training, and what licenses do you need to gain in order to work? Does it vary depending on where you are eg LGW/ teeny weeny minature airfield in the middle of nowhere?! :) Also, where do the courses take place? Is part of the training actually in the tower?

4. What is the best/worst aspect of the job?

5. Are there any age requirements for starting training?

6. What is the average wage? (ie will I be able to fund half of/ continue to keep a PPL current?)

Many thanks for your help,

LFG ;)

Findo
15th May 2001, 02:03
Under training you can earn more than many line pilots of regional airlines.

Go for it.

------------------
Go with the flow ... or you'll miss your slot.

15th May 2001, 09:08
The college is at Bournemouth Airport (for NATS, anyway - there are also colleges at Cwmbran [I hope that's spelt right!] and Bailbrook, near Bath); your training is fully funded, and you are a salaried employee right from the word go.

Salary on commencing training is (around) £22,000 all in; once qualified at an operational unit (this could be 18-36 months later, depending on where you go), it goes up to (around) £32,000 all in.

It's a great job (especially if you're interested in aviation), so I agree - go for it!

Der SimMeister
15th May 2001, 10:30
Little Fly Girl,

Have a look at the NATS Recruitment page - should give you all the info you need:

http://www.nats.co.uk/recruitment/atcr/index.html

Little Fly Girl
15th May 2001, 15:27
Thanks soooo much for your help guys/gals, much appreciated!

LFG :)

Spoonbill
15th May 2001, 17:23
;) Prepare yourself for a long email from an old fart who's been there, seen it, done it, but didn't get the film rights. ;)

------------------
It wasn't me.

Lon More
16th May 2001, 01:27
As an alternative to the UK you could also look at the Eurocontrol web site