PDA

View Full Version : Future as an ATCO

Controller to be!!!
14th May 2001, 13:59
Hello all!

I am seriously thinking of becoming an ATCO after I have left university. However I was wondering if anyone can let me know what sort of changes are going to come about with privitisation and the other changes that have been put forward. I know the job will still be the same but I am just wondering what things will be different.

Thank you in advance

CTB!!!

Nuke the Bastards
14th May 2001, 14:47
Actually old chap, if I were you, I'd look for something else !

This IS a great job.....apart from Management. Yes, I know that applies industry wide, but this job it is, perhaps, the most badly managed of them all.

And as for staff relations ?? Ohhh yes - we, the operational ATCO's, are the POOR relations. Always have been, always will be.

Just take a look at the "BONUS" thread and see just how disaffected we all are.

Then, perhaps, think again ?

10W
14th May 2001, 16:30
CTB

As you have no doubt read, every post from NtB has a vitriolic rant about management. If he/she honestly thinks it's the most badly managed in the industry, he/she really hasn't seen some of the others. Nor does he/she ever offer any solutions, like himself/herself getting in to that area and changing it perhaps ?? No, that might mean having to put some constructive effort in. Much easier just to snipe all the time and leave it at that.

Incidentally, 'Management' as a group also includes a lot of operational staff, such as Supervisors, Watch Training Officers, etc. Presumably we're all tarred with NtB's brush then ??

I'd listen to the more balanced views of the other 99% of PPRuNe ATCOs if I were you. Make no mistake, there is a lot which we can rightly complain about, however most of us are aware that there is often more to it than is said by someone with a chip evidently on each shoulder who likes to think it's always someone elses fault.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

PPIMan
14th May 2001, 17:06
I'd agree with the above - ATC is a good profession as long as you treat it like that.
If you want to spend more time moaning about "management" perhaps a Trade Union Official is a better career!

Seriously though if you have an interest in Air Traffic Control (or Air traffic Management as it's now called) go for it. The profession is changing rapidly, especially in Europe, and I've no doubt will continue to provide a challenging career for those who wish to contribute.

Controller to be!!!
14th May 2001, 19:10
Thank U all for your comments so far.

You all make very valid points and I hope one day I will be sat alongside you asking if you are able to take BAW2000 :-)

CTB!!! :)

OneMile,Flares,Flares
15th May 2001, 00:13
It's a great job, just remember - it pays good, (better than at least one other country in Europe), keep your head down and enjoy life and remember - it's a great job, just keep your head down and enjoy life.....

bill
15th May 2001, 13:44
yep, it's the only job I've done where most of the time I look forward to going in. (or maybe I'm just extra sad)

boroatco
15th May 2001, 15:04
You find in the job there are an awful lot of folk who will moan and bitch about Management, conditions this that and the other, however in my time in the job don't think I ever met anyone who doesn't like being a controller!!!
The work is interesting, The pay good (Up to £55k for some position £45K for most others) plenty of time off and once you're validated. you un plug from the control position and walk away from work, job done. time is yours to do what you want with
go for it!!!!!!